walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Most beautiful peaks of Scotlands - I need your help

Re: Most beautiful peaks of Scotlands - I need your help

Postby GillSte » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:00 pm

czubaka wrote:Thank you for all suggestions! There are some new peaks for me, which are very beautiful - especially Cir Mhor, Beinn Alligin and Ladhar Bheinn.

For that moment my list looks like that - going from the south:
- Ben Lui
- Buachaile Etive Mor
- Aonach Eagach
- Liathach
- Slioch
- An Teallach
- Stac Pollaidh
- Suilven
- Ben Stack
- Schiehalion

I was thinking about Cairngorms but probably I will have enough time ;(
It's hard to choose!

If you're going to Cape Wrath, you could indeed climb Ben Stack, which is a brilliant walk but very short. If you've got more time and the weather is wonderful, I'd suggest that you ought to climb Foinaven or Arkle instead. These are both really beautiful mountains, with stunning views.

I'd also suggest that you'll find that the mountains get better and better the further north you go, and they are much, much less crowded. You might want to save more time for the northern hills.

About cycling north: the main roads are desperate in the summer, there is so much traffic except very early in the morning (before 10.00). You might want to consider hopping on a train with your bike at some points. The road between Glencoe, Fort William and Spean Bridge is especially awful on a bike, and you really should avoid the A9 at all costs. You might enjoy a route that links up ferries (the bike goes free) and/or sustrans routes.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby czubaka » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:06 pm

GillSte thank you for your advice abut cycling in Scotland! Last year I was in Ukraine, so it can not be worst ;)
czubaka
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:55 am

czubaka wrote:GillSte thank you for your advice abut cycling in Scotland! Last year I was in Ukraine, so it can not be worst ;)

Remember we drive on the correct side of the road here ~ all the other countries drive on the wrong side! :?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby basscadet » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:43 am

All good suggestions, can I throw in Sgurr na Ciche in too? It is a bonny peak for sure :roll:

Don't worry about the A9 for cycling, there is a cycle path the whole way which only uses the main road in a couple of short sections :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby GillSte » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:36 pm

basscadet wrote:All good suggestions, can I throw in Sgurr na Ciche in too? It is a bonny peak for sure :roll:

Don't worry about the A9 for cycling, there is a cycle path the whole way which only uses the main road in a couple of short sections :)

But the cycle path is not very pleasant because of the noise and fumes from the high speed traffic alongside, and it's a long way. There are far better routes e.g. over the Lecht.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby CharlesT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:25 am

Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby czubaka » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Remember we drive on the correct side of the road here ~ all the other countries drive on the wrong side!

Good point! I lived in UK for almost two years, so i hope it want be a problem for me ;)

Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich.

Looks quite nice ;)

But the cycle path is not very pleasant because of the noise and fumes from the high speed traffic alongside, and it's a long way. There are far better routes e.g. over the Lecht.

Route over the Lecht could be a good option.
czubaka
Mountaineer

Postby czubaka » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:06 pm

I've got one more question to you. Is it possible to cycle through West Highland Way?
How about difficulty for bike, legal restrictions and hikers?
czubaka
Mountaineer

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:49 pm

czubaka wrote:I've got one more question to you. Is it possible to cycle through West Highland Way?
How about difficulty for bike, legal restrictions and hikers?

The parts from Crianlarich to Fort William are OK, though the Devil's Staircase will be tough and definitely proper mountain bike territory.
The bit along Loch Lomond is apparently pretty horrible on a bike, too muddy, roots, hard work, lots of pushing perhaps.

No problem with legality in Scotland, just be aware of other people such as walkers and give them right of way.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion