walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhreac or Meall Dubh?

Beinn Bhreac or Meall Dubh?

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Meall Dubh)

Date walked: 05/02/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14.7 km

Ascent: 659m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

January was a month of Munro repeats. We re-visited four M's, some we always wanted to climb in winter conditions. That it was more "winter" than proper winter, we couldn't help :( But at last, February arrived with some white conditions on the hills and I was eager to add a new peak to my statistics!

Finding a new Munro or Corbett proved impossible this time of the year, at least without driving ridiculous distances. Yet when it comes to Grahams, there is still plenty to choose from, even for short days :D After much deliberation, we picked two Grahams: Beinn Bhreac (Ullapool) and Creag Dhubh Mhor (Achintee). As weather looked better further north, we decided to do the Ullapool hill, hoping for nice views of surrounding higher mountains.

Our wish was granted, but sadly, conditions were not as perfect as predicted, much more high cloud than expected. Therefore photos came out a bit grey and depressing :( I have tampered with brightness/contrast buttons on some of them, just to make the views brighter :wink:

Our route was straightforward and probably the most popular for this hill, starting from the Beinn Dearg car park at Inverlael. Forest tracks give an easy access to the upper reaches of this Graham:

Track_BEINN BHREAC 05-02-17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Before I get to views, a few words about the confusion caused by the name. SMC Graham Guide calls it Beinn Bhreac, WalkHighlands and A. Dempster's Guide to Grahams - Meall Dubh. Actually, Meall Dubh is the name for the lower top of the Graham (646m) and the name Beinn Bhreac doesn't even appear on 1-50k OS map :roll: I know, I know, confusing. The fact is, to bag this hill one has to visit the SOUTHERN top, which is the one closer to Inverlael car park. Just as well :lol:
We started from the car park quite early on Sunday, not that we needed more time, but we wanted to be back home for 2pm to watch a ski jumping competition (another weird hobby of mine, I'm a mad ski jumping fan). Weather was all right though quite cloudy, especially as we walked through the forest:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 001.JPG

Having crossed the first bridge, we followed a wide forest track parallel to the river for about a mile and after it turned sharp left, we turned to a narrow track going steep uphill. As we gained height, the first views appeared, so far just Beinn Dearg in cloud:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 008.JPG

Out of the woods and through a gate, we continued on the track, now heading up at an easy angle, with wider views opening up.
Beinn Dearg group:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 016.JPG

Beautiful An Teallach:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 019.JPG

Walking so far had little to do with proper winter climbing, considering the conditions:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 022.JPG

Higher up, where the ground becomes almost even for a short distance, the track was quite icy, but I was glad to experience real winter for a change!
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 029.JPG

We took a short break to snap some photos, we spotted a small herd of deer in front of us - they even posed for a picture with the summit of Beinn Bhreac behind!
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 031.JPG

The track actually goes further than marked on the map. First, we had to cross a small stream:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 035.JPG

...then make our way up more boggy/icy underfoot, at least views behind us were decent:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 043.JPG

The Deargs again:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 045.JPG

Happy Panther trudging up white snow - that's what winter is all about:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 050.JPG

The western sky was nice and blue and we couldn't take our eyes of An Teallach:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 051.JPG

Seana Bhraigh, seen from this side, does not look very exciting, I must admit:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 056.JPG

As we emerged on the summit plateau, the VT track ended, but we spotted the little lochan marked on 1-25k map, just to the east of us. The true summit lies just behind it.
We traversed to the summit cairn and dropped our rucksacks. Snow was getting into my boots so I put on my gaiters, but apart from that, my new winter booties felt pretty good and comfortable. I have to wear two pairs of socks with them but just as well, we need insulation in winter!
The summit (marked by a small cairn on a rocky prominence) was rather windy, but we stayed long enough to snap some good photos of surrounding hills. Beinn Bhreac is a superb viewpoint - highly recommended for a good winter day! Assynt hills stood up on the northern horizon, lined up like on a parade:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 060.JPG

Ben More Coigach and Stac Pollaidh:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 062.JPG

Beinn Ghobhlach:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 063.JPG

The Forge again:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 067.JPG

Fisherfields and the wee lochan:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 069.JPG

Me (59th Graham) and Lucy (25th) on the summit of Beinn Bhreac:
2017-02-05 beinn bhreac 073.JPG

Another walker arrived five minutes after us, a nice fellow from Burghead, we started chatting, the usual way hill-maniacs talk. I climbed this and that, and I liked such and such hill :D :D :D It's always lovely to meet people with the same bug we carry :wink:
At least this time we didn't meet any motorbikers, trying to make their way up a mountain, stinkyfying the atmosphere!!!!
We took a slightly different line on descent, aiming straight for the spot where the track crosses the stream. Time permitted, it is possible to traverse to another lower top, Carn Mor, and then pick the Seana Bhraigh path, but I wanted to be home to watch Mister Stoch jumping 8)
Summing up, this is an easy Graham, but worth saving for a clear day if only for the views.
Last edited by BlackPanther on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Beinn Bhreac or Meall Dubh?

Postby katyhills » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Sometimes those smaller hills are a delight when you get those views :)

Those photos of Teallach are really stunning, and also the Assynt hills. Beautiful anyway - but the snow on them just makes them even better!

Unfortunately, the top of your local hill (Wyvis) isn't looking so pretty. Did you hear about or see the damage by some idiots on quad bikes? What's wrong with these stupid clowns? :shock: :-x
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Blokewithastroke » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Very brave of you to go out and climb this hill on a very cold and wintery day! However, I have to say that I was a bit puzzled as to why you had to be back to see the Ski Jump on T.V.? Video Recorder, anyone? I have slightly gone-off ski-jumping, I must confess - I wonder why? :crazy: I am more of a speed skater these days :lol:
Blokewithastroke
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:15

Postby m3doc » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm

I had hoped to bike most of this track but the ATV track through the fire-break from the forestry track junction north of Glensguaib was too steep for me (though could be bypassed by taking the forestry track a half km left then back right) and it's continuation steeply north from upper forestry track is too eroded to cycle up, with the crowning obstacle being the padlocked gate exiting the forest :(
m3doc
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:222
Fionas:124   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:54   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:56 am

m3doc wrote:I had hoped to bike most of this track but the ATV track through the fire-break from the forestry track junction north of Glensguaib was too steep for me (though could be bypassed by taking the forestry track a half km left then back right) and it's continuation steeply north from upper forestry track is too eroded to cycle up, with the crowning obstacle being the padlocked gate exiting the forest

Yes, I remember the steep section in the forest - not good for cycling :(

But regardless, it's an easy hill for short January days. I wondered if we could revisit it to bag the northern top. Weather this weekend looks good but Kevin is still recovering from flu so it's all up to how he feels...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Yorjick » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:59 pm

m3doc wrote:I had hoped to bike most of this track but the ATV track through the fire-break from the forestry track junction north of Glensguaib was too steep for me (though could be bypassed by taking the forestry track a half km left then back right) and it's continuation steeply north from upper forestry track is too eroded to cycle up, with the crowning obstacle being the padlocked gate exiting the forest :(

m3doc, I took the bike most of the way to the end of the track and really could have taken it further. The side gate at the edge of the forest did make things difficult. Taking off the front wheel (quick realease) would have helped.

I chickened out of some of the steeper and looser sections coming down but was worth the effort taking the bike up so far as pushing the bike down the harder, steeper, looser sectionswas not difficult.

I took a longer route missing out one of the steeper and more vegetated sections. You may like to check out my walk report.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland