walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Machete Required

Machete Required

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Innerdouny Hill, Lendrick Hill

Date walked: 09/02/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 550m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Innerdouny Hill route

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lendrick Hill

After another couple of weeks and no hills it was time to head out again, after watching the forecast daily Thursday seemed like the best of a bad bunch. I wasn't really sure what to expect snow wise especially as I wasn't planning to hit the high hills. As it turned out the underfoot conditions were almost perfect.
As stated before, I am picking off some of the nearer hills in an effort to keep the miles down on my car before I sadly say goodbye to her :(
After studying the map I opted for these 2 easy pickings, they were ideal as it was 23 miles each way and superb for a mornings walk, was even back in time for lunch. I had worked out roughly how long the walks would take and didn't even bother with pieces, so was travelling really light :lol:
Question - Does anyone else think the junction on the outskirts of Yetts O' Muckhart has to be the daftest junction ever created and it's been like that for many years :roll: :(

Image Plenty of parking space

Arrived at my parking area and was on my way by 9.15, no snow on the lower track, probably reached the snow line about 350m.

Image The way ahead

Image Attractive or not - you decide

Image Looking back

Image Quite pleased with myself, saw this in the distance and zoomed right in wondered if it was the summit :lol:

Image Reached the white stuff now

Image Looking back down

Image A warning of what was to come!

Image Left the track and headed up through a fire break

I knew from reading a few other WR's that I would have to head up through the forest, all was OK initially but towards the top end a few trees had been felled and others had fallen down in sympathy :lol: Anyone who has negotiated this sort of mess will understand how 'challenging' the going gets. Whilst scrambling over and under debris, one of my gloves from my pockets became dislodged and noticed it was missing a few minutes later so rather than risk searching for it on the way back down I retraced my steps and came across it very easily. As it turned out I also noticed an easier route through the clutter and a couple of minutes later I reached the safety of the wall and easier underfoot conditions, apart from the snow being a bit deeper :lol:

Image Now the going gets tough

Image Impossible to navigate through this mess, so had to use plan B

Image Lots of ducking & weaving

Image Quite a relief to meet this wall

Image Looking back down

Image Nice view through another fire break

Image Follow the wall right to the top, unlike me who climbed over it :lol:

Image Not far now, second sight of the summit trig on Innerdouny

Image Great all round views

Image West (ish)

Image South towards Loch Leven

Image Zoomed

Image Nice obvious break in the forest

Image Very hazy zoomed shot of Fife's highest point - West Lomond

As I entered the forest again I retraced my steps in the snow (sort of) and was able to pick an even better route and was back on the track in no time 8)

Image Adopted a slightly different route down through the jungle

Image Avoiding this sort of thing

Image Back down the fire break

Image A couple of shots whilst descending on the track

I was back at the car in just under 2 hours, really did enjoy the walk 8) I didn't bother taking my boots off for the short drive down the road to the parking area for the next hill, they weren't even muddy, just a wee bit damp from the snow higher up.

ImageParking area for Lendrick Hill

Image Confirms I am in the right area

Lendrick Hill is a bit of a nothing hill, even more of a straight up & down, it does offer decent views but apart from that it was a bit of a trudge :lol:

Image Good track, not for long though

Image Pick your way through this

Image Keep to the left of the new deer fence

Image Looking back

Image Don't bother with the gate etc

Image Either open the gate or do what I did, climb over

Image Lendrick Hill trig looking towards Loch Leven

Image Summit cairn which is 3m higher

Image Forth in the distance across the flat central area

Image Steel Knowe wind farm enhancing the view

Image Innerdouny summit area

Image Lendrick Hill trig

Not much else to report on Lendrick, it was literally an up and down and it took me a shade under an hour :lol: :lol:
Was really great to get out and when you haven't been out as often as one would like it is even more special :wink:

Next will be more of the same :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Machete Required

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Machete for the first hill and a pair of green wellies for the second, I think :lol: Very often the wee ones are tougher than the biggies.
We have been through two cars already, since we started hillwalking as a couple, currently 2 years into the third one... The miles just seem to clock in, don't they? :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby McMole » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I think I should apologise to you for not making my visit to Innerdouny last November public. I'd studied the aerial view in Google Maps and found an easier - and shorter - way through the forest. I'll include it now for the benefit of other future walkers.
Innerdouny Hill aerial s.gif

You do need to take care crossing the felled area between the track and the break through the forest as boots can slip on brashings, trip over hidden stumps and land in water filled hollows. Great fun espaially when half-hidden by snow!
And yes I agree the Yetts O' Muckhart junction has been daft for decades. I certainly can't think of a more puzzling one and have seen other drivers going v e r y s l o w l y through it as they try and understand it!
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:52 am

'bout time you got back to the corbetts/donalds - not many on which a machete is required....... :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Yep, McMole has it, if you'd stayed on the track just a bit longer, you'd have found the wall and been able to follow it all the way to the summit, returning the same way, bumpy underfoot right enough.

On the plus side, your route up Lendrick (albeit muddy) appears to have eliminated the need for the usual fire break that is steep, slimy and virtually impossible to remain upright on.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Dave Hewitt » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:12 pm

They're a good pair if you park just once and tackle them as a continuous walk - I've done this three times although not since 2000. The most interesting bit is the crossing of the narrow and quite steep/rocky South Queich glen on the NE side of Lendrick. Mellock Hill between the two Marilyns is worth climbing - there has been new planting there of late but I think you can still get through. The forestry on the SW/Black Law side of Innerdouny is a bit fiddly but there's a sneaky way through without any machete stuff. Another good outing to make a longer day of it is to link Innerdownie and Innerdouny Hill as a walk. When I did this with my pal Ken Stewart (as his 71st birthday treat!) we crossed from Castlehill reservoir to Littlerig via White Creich Hill and took 5hr 15min. Interesting country around there with lots of ideas and options.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:15 pm

This is what happens when you start to run out of Donalds! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland