walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cystic Fibrosis climbs a Cullin

Cystic Fibrosis climbs a Cullin

Postby IainT1996 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Eag

Date walked: 13/07/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nearly a year ago now before I'm actually writing it up but Sgurr nan Eag was my first Munro and so far has been the best day out walking and scrambling I've had and what's gotten me hooked. Having Cystic Fibrosis staying fit is a big part of it and pushing myself works but the gym had become a routine, so I was in need of a new challenge to focus on. Working in a mindless supermarket job when an unexpected 2 week holiday came up the first thought was to get far away and do something cool. Going to Skye when I was a kid with family I always remembered my dad and uncle talking about the Cullins and the with the silhouette they cast on the horizon looking from Portee stuck in my head it was an obvious choice. After buying a couple maps of the area and scrambling guidebook which I studied for some hours I packed my mum's fiat 500 stuffing it full to burst with food and gear for the trip then left the next morning.

The Walk.
Left from Glenbrittle campsite which I'd been staying at, then followed the normal path round to Coir' a' Ghrunnda then scrambled up to the beautiful lochan. Another scramble after that took me up to just insight of my first Munro summit which seemed to take forever to get too, a pretty clear day and empty top was my award for the effort and well worth it!

On 10 Munros so far and not stopping until there done.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IainT1996
Munro compleatist

Munros:48   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2

Re: Cystic Fibrosis climbs a Cullin

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Climbing mountains is so much more enjoyable than the gymn and it sounded like you started in style in the Cuillins :clap: and now have really got the bug. Good luck with any you have planned for this year.
We have not been up Sgurr nan Eag yet but hopefully will do it this year,
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 pm

An enjoyable way to help maintain health.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:39 am

well done :thumbup: no stopping you now ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JimboJim » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Great effort, Iain. I'd also like to share with you, my son-in-law, Tommy's, adventure's on the hills with me one day -

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54379

You guys inspire many others and I hope you notch many more along the way! :clap:

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland