walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Daytrip to Mull

Daytrip to Mull

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Route description: Dùn da Ghaoithe, near Craignure

Corbetts included on this walk: Dùn da Ghaoithe

Date walked: 11/02/2017

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 21.3 km

Ascent: 950m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decent looking forecast for the west of the country. Left the house just after 0500hrs for the drive to Oban.

Parked in the Longsdale Road car park, donned my boots, got my stuff ready then walked down to the ferry terminal for the 0800hrs ferry to Craignure.

Disembarked at Craignure then set off for the walk southwards along the A849 heading towards Lochdon. Two walkers were behind me who were heading for the same hill and I was to meet them later at the summit. Turned right at the start of the radio mast track to Upper Achnacroish then followed the track.

Further up I met and passed another walker. He had also been on the ferry and his two friends were further ahead – they had all taken the bus round from the ferry (I hadn’t thought of that). Issues with his knee/leg meant that he’d only be going as far as the snow line then turning back.

Up past the first mast then the second mast before getting on to more open ground – couldn’t see much of a track but the way ahead was fairly obvious.

Distant hills – approx northerly direction but still not sure which though

Past the snow line and the going was OK. A little further on and I could see some steeper sections ahead before the trig pint – just in case, opted to stop to get the ice axe and put on crampons rather than wait until too late.

Then up to the trig point, past the cairn before the walk along the ridge to the summit.

It was very cold with an extremely strong wind at the trig but strangely calm and warm in the middle of the ridge. Then at the summit cairn it was so windy as to make taking photos difficult and very cold again.

Met the two walkers from the party of three at the summit cairn but they left before me. Then met the couple who had been behind me while on my way back along the ridge.

Again half way along the ridge the wind disappeared and it got quite warm so stopped for a break and to unpack my lunch. Took some time out to reflect and unpacked my hip flask for a wee toast to the memory of a work colleague.

Self portrait

Stopped for quite a while – wasn’t in a rush as I knew I had plenty of time before the 1700hrs ferry.

Had it been summer, I may have thought about the detour to the graham, Sgurr Dearg, but not for today.

Took some more photos

Lochaline

Eventually decided to go and set off towards the cairn and trig point

Looking back

View from the top of the cairn

Then back down the ascent route towards the track

Met the two walkers from the party of three on the way back down – they had stopped and were having their lunch. Got back to Craignure at about 1500hrs and then met the friend back again.

Just a couple of hours to wait for the ferry – wandered around, had some food and a coffee. Nice day if a bit on the cold side.

Uneventful trip back to Oban on the ferry

Walked back to the car, got changed then drove back home for a late tea – quite happy with how the day had turned out.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Daytrip to Mull

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Great pictures, report and great hill rockhopper. When I was up there I took the bike across on the ferry and cycled (mostly pushed) up to the 2nd mast. Great for coming back down though. I normally park in tescos when I go to Craignure as a foot passenger I reckon I've spent enough in tescos to use a parking space on the odd occasion. :D . Brilliant views from the hill. I love Mull and the ferry trip. Even better now they have reduced the fares.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby roscoT » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Great report and pictures, Rockhopper. Visibility was good in the west but the wind was a killer!

Will definitely be keeping this one in mind for my trip to Mull in April. Cheers :)
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:54 pm

I think that might be the hills on Rum to the north.
Sunset tripper

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:57 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I think that might be the hills on Rum to the north.

Thanks - I didn't think I was looking that far west but could be - cheers :)

pic1.jpg
rockhopper

Postby litljortindan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Some great pictures, got me thinking about Mull again. I did the same walk on a winter's day quite a few years ago and also thought at the time that Sgurr Dearg looked quite enticing.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:48 pm

That looked very beautiful, love the pictures, :clap: and just when I had come to terms with the mild weather in the north you have created a new longing for snow :lol:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Aye distant hills Rum :D

I was ón Sgurr nan Coireachan that day and wind beat mé back at about 700m ... you had better luck :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby simon-b » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Lovely island, great hill and superb views. A nice ferry trip too. Mull is a place well worth visiting.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby teaandpies » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I fancy a day trip to Mull now...

How do ya stop photographs from looking washed out?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby denfinella » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Ahh so this is where you went! Lovely snowy pics - not sure I could manage a 5am start though :shock:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 am

Cheers all :D

teaandpies wrote:How do ya stop photographs from looking washed out?
Nothing technical I'm afraid - camera generally on program mode, underexpose about 1/3 - 2/3 of an f stop then some contrast enhancement if needed afterwards with a free online program
rockhopper

Postby dav2930 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Looked a fabulous day out with wonderful views RH. Nice to have plenty of time to reflect and soak in the character of the place. Great report and really excellent photos showing how impressive the hills are on Mull. :clap:

I'm looking forward to visiting the island for the first time; might save Ben More for my final Munro. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Looks a good adventure that, with some nice moody dramatic pics :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:27 am

Cairngorm creeper wrote:That looked very beautiful, love the pictures, :clap: and just when I had come to terms with the mild weather in the north you have created a new longing for snow :lol:

I was going to comment, but this says it all. :clap: :clap: :clap:

My memory of Mull is a week in the 70s when the cloud was down at about 5 metres, and it rained incessantly every day.....

I need to plan a trip - carefully ...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland