walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coledale round

Coledale round

Postby Guinessman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barrow, Eel Crag, Outerside, Sail, Whiteside

Hewitts included on this walk: Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Sail, Whiteside

Date walked: 05/02/2017

Time taken: 7

Distance: 19.8 km

Ascent: 1413m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Since I made the decision to complete the Wainwrights at the beginning of November I had been busy ticking off hills that I had never considered doing and going into areas for the first time. I have really enjoyed going into the hills around Howtown, back of Skiddaw and Whinlatter area. The numbers were totting up, 45 in the last 3 months, and todays target Whiteside would add 1 to the list. I had been up onto Grisedale Pike and the other Coledale hills numerous times but never walked along to Whiteside. The easiest route would be going from Crummock water side but that would mean more driving so I opted to go via Braithwaite. An early start meant I was away from home at 06.50 and due to the non existent traffic on the A69 and 66 I was surprisingly at Braithwaite for 8.30hrs.
The MWIS forecast promised much 15mph winds, 70% chance of sunshine and clear summits and temp around 1 or 2 degrees. In the event it was a typical winters day, encompassing Autumn, winter and spring

ImageDSC00338

ImageDSC00339

I opted for easier start, rather than going up onto Grisedale I walked up the fairly level track up towards the mines and cutting over the burn to head up towards the col. The wind was non existent and the cloud hung around. Onto the zig zags before the col I was totally in the cloud and only came back into the clear once up on Coledale Hause.
Looking at the path up Sand hill I considered my options and was looking to avoid doing sand Hill and Hopegill Head twice so I followed some tracks bearing NW over the hillside up towards the ground between Hopegill head and Whiteside. The tracks ran out and due to ravine type section I ended up going uphill and only avoided doing 100 feet of Hopegill Head as I joined the path to whiteside. The views back to Crag hill and the cloud hanging over Skiddaw were superb.
ImageDSC00342

ImageDSC00346

I have read articles regarding the track to Whiteside claiming it is the best mile in Lakeland. It certainly is pleasant and fairly level throughout its mile length. The snow and wet rock made it more interesting on the way to Whiteside. Once there it was a straightforward return along the same track up to Hopegill Head

ImageDSC00347

Once on Hopegill Head the sun came out for the first time. I had considered going over to Ladyside Pike but the start is steep from Hopegill head and that side of the hill was covered in wet snow. I watched a walker coming up towards Hopegill from Ladyside who was on all fours coming up the last section so I gave it a miss and went for Sand Hill and down towards Coledale Hause. I could see over to the west was a large snowstorm so abandoned plans to go up the direct route onto Eel crags and walked instead up the col between Grasmoor and Crag Hill and then the ascending path up to Wandope. As I did so I was enveloped by the storm and was in a whiteout as I went onto Wandope and the corrie edge up to Crag Hill. Up on top the atmosphere started to change so I hung around for 5 minutes to catch a bit of clear views

ImageDSC00356

ImageDSC00363

ImageDSC00369

ImageDSC00370

From Crag Hill I took the path down to Sail then down the raised path towards the col before dropping down and going up Outerside. As I did so the day changed to a spring day, the skies cleared and the temp raised 5 or 6 degrees. Finished off with a pleasant walk down from Outerside and onto Barrow before dropping down into Braithwaite and back to the car. 6 1/2 hrs 12 miles and 1400 metres of ascent on a good day.

ImageDSC00373

ImageDSC00375
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Coledale round

Postby jacob » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:36 pm

What is it with snow and all landscapes and sceneries looking so much better? Great pictures on what seems to have been a great day. No bright skies maybe, but the looming clouds simply add extra value and atmosphere.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby dav2930 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Interesting variation on the usual Coledale round and a nice combination of summits. The dusting of snow adds a touch of drama well caught in your pics - 00342 is one of the most impressive views of Eel crag I've seen.

You're selling yourself short though GM - Hopegill Head, Wandope? :wink:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Some very fine fells covered here, a good walk really well recorded by some excellent photos.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Guinessman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:22 pm

jacob wrote:What is it with snow and all landscapes and sceneries looking so much better? Great pictures on what seems to have been a great day. No bright skies maybe, but the looming clouds simply add extra value and atmosphere.

Thanks for that, love a picture of a dark moody cloud.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby Guinessman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 pm

dav2930 wrote:Interesting variation on the usual Coledale round and a nice combination of summits. The dusting of snow adds a touch of drama well caught in your pics - 00342 is one of the most impressive views of Eel crag I've seen.

You're selling yourself short though GM - Hopegill Head, Wandope? :wink:

Thanks for that Dav, I,ve been hitting the heights in the last month, Hallin fell, Rannerdale knots, the two Mells :crazy:
Guinessman
Walker

Postby Guinessman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Some very fine fells covered here, a good walk really well recorded by some excellent photos.

Thanks for that JKKL, coming from yourself, praise indeed.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby trailmasher » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Another great walk Gman :clap: great shots of the hills in a fantastic part of the LD :clap: I can't really blame you for missing out on Ladyside Pike as I had similar thoughts on my first outing to do it :roll: with smooth wet slabs of rock it's a dodgy proposition :crazy: :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Guinessman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:24 pm

trailmasher wrote:Another great walk Gman :clap: great shots of the hills in a fantastic part of the LD :clap: I can't really blame you for missing out on Ladyside Pike as I had similar thoughts on my first outing to do it :roll: with smooth wet slabs of rock it's a dodgy proposition :crazy: :roll:

Thanks for that trailmasher. It certainly looked a dodgy proposition, I didn't even fancy starting it, the slabs were all wet and slimy and looking from above all at the wrong angles
Guinessman
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:07 am

Some superb pics there - I particularly like 0342, 0346, & 0347 - of what looks topographically like a really interesting area.

As you know, I was looking across to this area from Blencathra and Skiddaw a few days after you, but I'd no idea what the hills I was looking at were.

A few searches on Google Images show this is indeed a characterful area. Now on the list, so thanks for that!

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Guinessman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks for that AK. When doing your round you should add Grasmoor as well, I normally do. Do it straight from Coledale Hause straight up the shoulder rather than doing from the col between Grasmoor and Crag Hill. You'll see what I mean when you get there.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:32 am

That's a good distance hike with plenty of ascent chasing the white tops Gman, some beautiful pics along the way too :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland