walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Ring of Tarf (North Munros)

The Ring of Tarf (North Munros)

Postby chasmcc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Route description: An Sgarsoch and Càrn an Fhidhleir

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar)

Date walked: 18/02/2017

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Taking advantage of the poor snow cover we decided to head for the two munros which form the northern loop of The Ring of Tarf. A cycle up Glen Tilt followed by a walk from where the track splits and rises northwest to Tarf Water. The river crossing was challenging with the snow melt and rain resulting in a lot more water then we would have liked.
Unfortunately, the weather matched the forecast and we had mixed conditions throughout the day. It was great to be out and getting the opportunity onto tops normally left for later in the season.

The short movie is a record of our day....

Attachments
DWB_2010.jpg
View south down Glen Tilt
DWB_2027.jpg
View east to the Tarf Water from the shoulder of An Sgarsoch
chasmcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:15
Sub 2000:6   

Re: The Ring of Tarf (North Munros)

Postby Renate » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 am

Thank you for your video. That must have taken some setting up. I watched it as I was also wondering about these two from Blair Atholl to reduce on driving as I live in the west. Just did Carn a Chlamain yesterday, which is really quite a short day when you cycle in (5 hrs). I'm impressed you cycle with packs on your back. Gives me too much saddle pain, I always strap it onto rack, much easier. Think I'll assume 12 hour day for these two, and take anything quicker as a bonus.
Renate
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland