walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quarter of the way there

Quarter of the way there

Postby teaandpies » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:11 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 28/02/2017

Time taken: 4.45 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been on that wonderful number 69 for a couple of weeks since my last outing (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70041) and it was slightly annoying to be honest.
It was annoying because percentage wise I hanging marginally below 25% which would allow me to boast that I'd done a quarter of the current Munros.

A frustrating weekend of poor weather pretty much meant I was grounded with only the Forth and Clyde canal to stretch my legs along but to be fair it wasn't all bad. I seen a Grey Wagtail for the first time ever around lock 27. A number of other species as well but this is a hill forum not a bird one so I'll spare you the bird chat.
Luckily for me I was also off the Monday Tuesday too so I was keen to make the most of the promising weather forcast. I consulted with Pieplough, he was keen to get the day off work and go with me BUT on one condition, he'd be driving! My good friend whom I trust dearly would now be responsible with my life for you see he has recently passed his driving test...it'd be his first experience of driving the A82.

Minus the few squeaky bum moments along the road by the loch everything went ok. The contents of my bowels were in place, my knuckles hadn't turned white and the car was intact.
We arrived at an already busy car park around noon, Pieplough was calling the shots with regards to times today (drivers privilege). He elected for an afternoon walk because the weather was to break in the afternoon and boy oh boy it did. A drive through Glencoe is never a bad drive but the sun beamed down on snow capped hills things just sermed that extra bit special, taking in the views I was happy to be the passenger :D

Oh, got carried away there. Yeah, as I was saying, we arrived at the busy car park opposite the massive cairn in Glencoe where we would ready ourselves to tackle 2 of the top 10 easiest Munros that make up Buachaille Etive Beag.

Pigplough

Research was done and we were confident we could do these in 4 hours or so.
Setting off just after 12 on the decent path in bathed in glorious sunshine it didn't take long for the first photo opportunity to present it's self...

No fear dear

Aonach Eagach

Massive lump

The path was as reported many times over is decent and makes for easy walking but we did encounter thin ice on most of it and then very compacted snow and ice on the steps which made the going a little slower than we would have liked.

The sun was hanging high in the sky and for the first time in ages I was actually worried about getting sunburnt :shock:

Blazing

Aonach Eagach

Come on Pieplough :lol:

Aonach Eagach

Me (photo by Pieplough)

Once we were at the bealach we spent a wee while checking out the views/taking a rest. The hill was busy with guided walking groups. It looked like they had already been to up SCR and were heading to Stob Dubh, not before learning some winter skills...cracking day for playing in the snow :lol:

We decided to head up Stob Dubh first.

Pieplough at Mam Buidhe

Stob Coire Raineach

Big sister

The first steep section was taken pretty fast. The snow was powdery but the foot steps were almost solid enough to hold my weight :lol: We were walking without crampons, the snow was powder so they remained in the bag.

The couple in the below picture were using a confidence rope.

The ridge to Stob Dubh

Walking party

From here Bidean nam Bian looks like a complicated walk.

Bidean nam Bian

A busy approach

I hadn't noticed the wind at all thus far in the walk but on the final steep curving approach to the summit it was very strong. The picture below was taken at this point but the wind was making my eyes water and I couldn't actually see very well :lol:
I had to rush just after taking my snap because a larger walking party was now very close behind me and I didn't want to cause an Everest style traffic jam.

Loch Etive & Ben Starav

We lingered on/around the windless summit for a good while (ages actually) soaking in the views but what we were really waiting for was the large amount of folk to get off the second top :roll:

The second cairn was pretty busy...

The big yin

Views South Eastish

Glen Etive

Buchaille Etive Mor

Big Bookle & Beinn a' Chrulaiste

Now we were ready to head back along the ridge to the second Munro of the day. The risk of a fall was a greater on the way down so the ice axes came out but the crampons stayed in the bag. Once off the steep curve the risk was over really but we'd walk back to the bealach axes in hand.

Looking to Stob Coire Raineach

The walk had been a lot of fun so far, super enjoyable, I chuffed to bits to be out. We raced down the powdery slope to the bealach where again we stopped for a wee minute to ready ourselves for the push up the next summit.
Pieplough gave me a Snickers bar (A Marathon bar for those who can remember it's old name) as I had chosen to leave my piece in the motor for after the walk but I needed a little something about now.

I was having a mini struggle up the last bit of the walk, it was roasting or I was roasting whatever way it was the hat and gloves came off, then I took a seat on a rock for a wee 30 seconds or so before setting off to catch up with Pieplough who by now was a good bit in front. By the time I arrived at the summit he was sitting eating his piece, he'd only been there a couple off minutes before me but managed to find a comfortable rock to chill on.
We had the summit to ourselves, the light was nice and the sun was far less intense. I can fully understand why so many walkers love Glencoe, I've done the 4 easiest Munros here but I there's better to come and I can't bloody wait! :o

I was aware that this summit would take me over the 25% and I celebrated in silence, because who celebrates their 71st Munro?? :lol: :crazy:

I hadn't realised until I was looking back through my pictures that I didn't take any photos on the walk between the 2 summits so here's a selection of cairn shots from the summit of SCR :lol:

Stob Coire Raineach's summit

Looking up Glencoe

Looking to BEM

Looking to Aonach Eagach

Looking to Nevis

Looking to the Blackwater Reservoir

Panorama

Pieplough & Stob Dubh

A final Aonach Eagach shot on the way down

The greatest feeling

After another lengthy stay on a summit we headed down, it was time to leave the mountain. I hadn't been looking forward to the walk down the icy steps but unbelievably I managed these without a single fall :clap:

What a difference between this outing and the last one.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Quarter of the way there

Postby mamoset » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:19 am

Good TR matched by some great pics :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Coop » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:08 pm

It's a good viewpoint from Stob Dubh
Good report and pics - cheers

Just checked where I was on 71 - na gruagaichean
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Jaxter » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:57 am

Lovely photos!! You really can't beat a good winter day :clap: :clap: Super jealous I couldn't get out during the week :(

I do actually remember my 71st (Eididh nan clach Geala) but only because it was on the way to my first ever WH meet and I thought it would give me some street cred :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby teaandpies » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:12 am

Jaxter wrote:Lovely photos!! You really can't beat a good winter day :clap: :clap: Super jealous I couldn't get out during the week :(

I do actually remember my 71st (Eididh nan clach Geala) but only because it was on the way to my first ever WH meet and I thought it would give me some street cred :lol: :lol:

Street what? :lol: I'm the least cool person ever, not even a WH meet could change that.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby PeteR » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:18 am

Well done on the 25% :clap: I'm hoping to hit my 55th Graham today........which as we all know get's me over the 25% mark on that particular group :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jaxter » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:45 am

teaandpies wrote:
Jaxter wrote:Lovely photos!! You really can't beat a good winter day :clap: :clap: Super jealous I couldn't get out during the week :(

Street what? :lol: I'm the least cool person ever, not even a WH meet could change that.

Yeah it didn't work. But I've come to terms with that now.... :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby rockhopper » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:07 am

Nice day to get your 1/4 mark - well done :thumbup:
Won't forget my 1/4 mark as I had my first ever wild camp that night - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby teaandpies » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:47 pm

PeteR wrote:Well done on the 25% :clap: I'm hoping to hit my 55th Graham today........which as we all know get's me over the 25% mark on that particular group :lol:

That's actually pretty exciting. If I even get to that number on the that group I'd be very happy.

rockhopper wrote:Nice day to get your 1/4 mark - well done :thumbup:
Won't forget my 1/4 mark as I had my first ever wild camp that night - cheers :)

Cheers, I'm not sure it could have went any better. Chuffed to bits with the day 8)
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby goth_angel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:30 am

Great report with some wonderful photos. Stob Coire Raineach is one of very few Munros I've done twice and it looks worth a third visit in winter.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby teaandpies » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:45 pm

goth_angel wrote:Great report with some wonderful photos. Stob Coire Raineach is one of very few Munros I've done twice and it looks worth a third visit in winter.

It's a decent wee walk. Good for half day out :D
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Oh, BEB looks great in winter conditions. One on my "to repeat in white" list :D :D

My 1/4 was one of the boring Drummochter Munros, remembered only because weather was rubbish...

We celebrated our 60th Graham on Sunday - not a hugely significant number but it's always nice to have something to brag about :wink: :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Congratulations on your 25% and another entertaining report :clap: :lol: brought back some memories, a few years ago we did part our winter skills training on Stob Coire Raineach, but were too nervous to go up Stob Dubh, even with the instuctor :lol: :lol: . A little bit braver now but have yet to do Stob Dubh in winter :lol: .
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Congrats on getting half way to half way. :clap: Nearly there now! :wink: And great conditions to achieve it in.

I have no idea what my 71st was. 100 seemed a bit of a landmark to me, but I'm still in denial about Munro Bagging becoming an actual target, and will need to be exceptionally long-lived and spry to an old age if I'm ever to get there at the current rate...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby teaandpies » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:32 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Oh, BEB looks great in winter conditions. One on my "to repeat in white" list :D :D

My 1/4 was one of the boring Drummochter Munros, remembered only because weather was rubbish...

We celebrated our 60th Graham on Sunday - not a hugely significant number but it's always nice to have something to brag about :wink: :wink:

Thats 30%ish? I'd be a happy chappy if I got to that many Grahams. I have a soft spot for that group since I was humbled in the Luss hills last year.

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Congratulations on your 25% and another entertaining report :clap: :lol: brought back some memories, a few years ago we did part our winter skills training on Stob Coire Raineach, but were too nervous to go up Stob Dubh, even with the instuctor :lol: :lol: . A little bit braver now but have yet to do Stob Dubh in winter :lol: .

I must admit to liking the fear but I didn't feel any this day but I look forward to going across the road and having the bowels drop :shock: :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:Congrats on getting half way to half way. :clap: Nearly there now! :wink: And great conditions to achieve it in.

I have no idea what my 71st was. 100 seemed a bit of a landmark to me, but I'm still in denial about Munro Bagging becoming an actual target, and will need to be exceptionally long-lived and spry to an old age if I'm ever to get there at the current rate...

Half way to half way, I should have titled the report that!!
I'd say 100 is an obvious milestone but in percentage terms is it? I'm going for the ton this year, it's something to aim for. :wink:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland