walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blown away by Bla Bheinn

Blown away by Bla Bheinn

Postby ScotiaTheOne » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:04 am

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 03/03/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 928m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thought I'd try my first trip report after being a long-term lurker on the site.

Just spent a week with the missus on Skye and we were fortunate enough to catch a break with the weather on our walks - always a bonus! This report will deal with Bla Bheinn, although I also had a very memorable walk in the Quiraing in the mist and snow, which gave it an eerie, otherworldly feel. But that's another report for another day!

The day I chose to do Bla Bheinn was an absolute scorcher - it might even have reached double digits - with barely a cloud to be seen which, on Skye, guarantees that it's not going to rain for at least 5 minutes. It was a real last minute decision to do the walk at all, and I'm ashamed to say it was past noon when the mountain came into view along the Broadford road :crazy:

After a gentle ascent through a well-defined path surrounded by heather, I began to feel an over-inflated sense of my level of fitness, which would be put right after the climbing began in earnest. I bumped into a guy coming down who had spent the night playing cards in a bothy (which is definitely being visited next time round). Although he'd taken a tumble on the scree, he was "still aright tae kick a baw" and we chatted about the route. After we parted ways I thought it was time for a cuppa.

Image Around 450m, looking roughly southeast towards the wee Loch Fionna-choire, with the west coast of mainland Scotland in the background.

The going got a little steeper above 500m where the snow started. Whenever I stopped to catch my breath I turned around and watched the landscape open up around me the higher I went. It was slightly frustrating at not having anyone to share the spectacular views with - I'd left the missus in Broadford - and had to settle for shaking my head disbelievingly and muttering obscenities.

Image Looking south over the water at Rum (top right) and Eigg & Muck (top centre)

After reaching the summit, the Cuillin appeared suddenly and I just had to laugh out loud at the majesty of the ridge. I'm so glad I went up when there was still snow, as it gave the whole day a mountainous, alpine feel, especially after scrambling through knee-high virgin snow to get there. The views made it feel like I was at 4000m in the Alps rather than 900m in Scotland.

Image Summit looking west at the Cuillin

The visibility was so good I could just about make out the back of my own head. I ended up staying at the summit for about 80 minutes until my camera ran out of battery and was forced to start the descent. I really, really didn't want to leave.

Image North-west over Sgurr nan Gillean and the rest of Skye.

Image Obligatory mugshot

Image Southeast looking over Loch Slapin at the village of Torrin

Image I can think of worse ways to spend a Friday afternoon

Absolutely cracking weather, visibility was ridiculously good the whole day. I'm so glad I went in the snow, really added an extra dimension to the trip. It's really opened my eyes to how big a task tackling the Cuillin will be - not your usual rolling slopes and gravelled path to the top! Can't wait.
ScotiaTheOne

Munros:68   

Re: Blown away by Bla Bheinn

Postby gaffr » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:36 am

Hello,
Many thanks for posting the fine images of the snowed-up Cuillin. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Looks great. Don't see pics of the Skye munros with that much snow too often.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:16 am

VERY envious of you having done Bla Bheinn in that weather - the Cuillin Ridge looks even more sensational than usual!

"...and had to settle for shaking my head disbelievingly and muttering obscenities...." - a lot of us who do solo walks know that feeling so well - joyous disbelief!

Excellent first foray into print :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:25 am

Nice first report and good to Skye in the snow :thumbup:

ScotiaTheOne wrote:I can think of worse ways to spend a Friday afternoon
Yup - not hard to do :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:17 am

Superb! The views were rather good that day, weren't they! We were a little further up the NW coast.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Oh that looked and sounded wonderful :) , what a brilliant day. :clap:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland