walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blizzard on Bheithir - high winds and new pals

Blizzard on Bheithir - high winds and new pals

by Jaxter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 12/02/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11.6 km

Ascent: 1368m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Blizzard on Bheithir - high winds and new pals

Postby Jaxter » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:38 am

rockhopper wrote:Like buses - no report on Beinn a'Bheithir for a while then two in quick succession :wink: Cracking day for it - glad your camera worked that day (unlike mine :roll: ) - cheers :)

:lol: thanks, it's such a shame coming back from a great day without photos :( an excuse to go back? :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby J888ohn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Cracking report and amazing pics. Love the snow line cap on all the mountains. Makes me want to put my big boy pants on and go learn some winter skills! :clap: :clap:
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Jaxter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:29 am

J888ohn wrote:Cracking report and amazing pics. Love the snow line cap on all the mountains. Makes me want to put my big boy pants on and go learn some winter skills! :clap: :clap:

Your big boy pants sound heavy. Good for weighing you down in hurricanes :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 am

Great report on an absolutely fabulous looking day, fantastic photographs with a fair bit of risk involved :crazy: Glad you guys got off safe and all the plans went well.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Jaxter » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:51 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Great report on an absolutely fabulous looking day, fantastic photographs with a fair bit of risk involved :crazy: Glad you guys got off safe and all the plans went well.

Thanks Rod - nothing like a bit of terror to make the day a bit more exciting :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 pm

That was a fun read :) Well done for carrying on. I think normally I'd have turned back in the face of that wind but having been up there several times I can attest that there's something about that mountain that makes you want to go on. Your photos back me up on that.

By the way, the "crazy ridge" you refer to is, I think, Schoolhouse Ridge. It's by far the best way up that side of the mountain - beats that bloomin' slog through the field and over the fence any time. That said I've never done it in the snow, or a howling gale :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Looks a great but demanding day.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 pm

BobMcBob wrote:That was a fun read :) Well done for carrying on. I think normally I'd have turned back in the face of that wind but having been up there several times I can attest that there's something about that mountain that makes you want to go on. Your photos back me up on that.

By the way, the "crazy ridge" you refer to is, I think, Schoolhouse Ridge. It's by far the best way up that side of the mountain - beats that bloomin' slog through the field and over the fence any time. That said I've never done it in the snow, or a howling gale :D

Thankyou! I thought was probably schoolhouse ridge, thanks for clearing that up :) sounds like it was pretty dicey with snow, ice and strong winds :shock: one to revisit in calmer conditions :lol:

litljortindan wrote:Looks a great but demanding day.

Thankyou, it was definitely a memorable one :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Is that the NE ridge off Sgorr Bhan? If so, yes, its excellent, a nice introduction to more technical ground if you're with somebody experienced*. Mostly its a simple steep ridge, but there are just one or two steps which can be iced up, and you do feel a little exposed.

*Obviously, we just winged it in our early-ish days of winter walking 20+ years ago, as seemed to be the norm back then! I was a rock climber at the time, but we had no gear other than axes and crampons... :shock:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland