walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor and Buachaille Etive Beag

Buachaille Etive Mor and Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby davetherave » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 27/06/2010

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 2356m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 27th June 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Clear, sunny, mainly blue skies
Time. 11 hrs
Distance. 20.7 km
Ascent. 2356 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 4
Corbett’s x 0
Grahams x 0

Stob Coire Raineach, Stob Dubh, Stob Na Broige and Stob Dearg.

Starting from.

Lagangarbh cottage off the A82,

route taken.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a midge infested over night camp near the Lagangarbh cottage off the A82, we were more than happy to be roaded early on the Saturday morning………. We headed up the A82 for a bit, then entered in to the Lairig Gartain. We decided to pass the worst of the crags on Stob Coire Raineach’s south face and head straight up for the summit.

Stob coire Raineach..JPG

Turned out to be near 600m of much steepness. We headed for a break in the crags at about 600m (a scree covered wide and steep gully) this was tough going on the legs, but once through we would emerge onto the ridge. From the ridge the summit was soon reached.

Stob Coire Raineach gully ascent.JPG

Stob Coire Raineach gully ascent (2).JPG

Stob Coire Raineach (3).JPG

Our next hill is clearly visible in the distance Stob Dubh….a nice 50 min or so jolly along the ridge and we are soon on its summit. Turned out to be a nice ridge walk with very nice views over the Fhada Ridge (our problem descent from 2 weeks ago).
From here I also spotted Beinn Maol Chaluim the Corbett we missed 2 weeks earlier. I suggested to the wife we could do this no probs, I applied suitable pressure and she reluctantly agreed.

Beinn Fhada ridge.JPG

Stob  Coire Raineach from Stob Dubh.JPG

Loch Etive.JPG

Stob Dubh descent.JPG

We head SW down the scree bank and down through some steep crags
(Will we ever learn) we then reached the track at the Lairig Eilde and head south till we reached the deer fence, from there we follow the fence up the south ridge of Stob Coire Sgreamhach…. This was pretty hard going and after a 1hr or so I realised this Corbett will have to wait till another time. Beinn Maol Chaluim was now in view, but the distance and ascent was far to much… I eat humble pie, and admit to Julie that it was maybe the wrong decision to go for the Corbett.
Her reply…. “I told you that over 2 hrs ago on Stob Dubh’s summit”

We head back down making for the Allt Gartain and drop down in to its gorge. We eventually emerge from its other side and head up through the Crags once again for some hands on fun. After what seemed a long spell picking our way through we gained the ridge out of puff.

Seemed a long haul to reach our 3rd Munro of the day Stob Na Broige, a couple false summits never helped, there was also a few swear words from Julie about not sticking to our plan……….

Stob Na Broige Ascent.JPG

Stob Na Broige Ascent (1).JPG
Steep climb Prior to the Crags

Stob Na Broige summit.JPG

Beautiful, but Deadly.JPG
Foxgloves heading for Stob Na Broige

We still had about 5km of ridge walking in front of us before we would reach Stob Dearg., 5km of pure enjoyment.

Once we topped Stob Na Doire we got our first real views of Stob Dearg in the distance. Not far to go now I think to my self.

Stob Dearg. (6).JPG

Soon enough we pass a cairn marking our descent in to the Coire Na Tulaich. From here we head for the summit of Stob Dearg through the boulders and sometimes the faint path up to the top.

Stob Dearg summit.JPG

I head east from the summit just in time to see a young couple conquering the Crowberry Tower, they embrace and kiss obviously delighted with their achievements………Superb……….

Crowberry Tower.JPG

Coire Na Tuiaich.JPG

We head back to the cairn and make our descent into the coire, Quickly descending and covering distance we are soon back to the car.

Tired and hungry our thoughts soon turn to the chippie in Comrie. Once again we stop for our much needed Fish and Chips………….
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor and Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby monty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Dave...
Nice report. Some lovely pictures showing the steep craggy scrambles and the ridge lines. Nice picture of the steep slope and crags to Stob Na Broige ridge. Having checked your route I side with your misses :lol: You were asking a lot to try and add the corbett. Thats an additional 10km and 600m of ascent. Good effort nonetheless :D
monty

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:22 pm

our much needed Fish and Chips………….

hope you ordered jumbo after that lot :D Heading up the front end of the wee Bookle always looks very tricky to me (only seen from the road).
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Looks like a good day! You and Monty seem to be playing the same game at the moment - taking two classic walks and joining them together!
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby monty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi Malky,
Looks like a good day! You and Monty seem to be playing the same game at the moment - taking two classic walks and joining them together!

Not sure if you approve. But Dave started it :lol: :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 pm

monty wrote:Hi Malky,

Not sure if you approve. But Dave started it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do. I just wish I'd thought of it when I was out bagging Munros. Would've got round them a lot quicker! :lol:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 am

Looks a bold and enterprising route to say the least! :o
mountain coward

Postby gaffr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Pleased to hear that you didn't take Wilson by way of the CR...I recall that you asked this question when you were in the planning stages for this trip, I was a bit concerned for Wilson!.....we did this round in the opposite way with me making hard work of a descent line probably somewhat to the left of your ascent for line 'wee Buachaille'...not to be recommended! This trip is a grand day out.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37 pm

Well done - sounds and looks a mammoth trek.
I did these separately recently and was knacked at the end of both. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Derek T » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:35 pm

I've been considering doing this on my WHW trip in July. We will definitely be doing Buachaille Etive Mor but after reading your report and seeing the stats I'm not sure that doing Buachaille Etive Beag in the same day is a good plan for us, especially as we would be walking to and from Kingshouse Hotel to your starting point so would be adding a few extra miles to your route.

Then again, I'll be there and so will the hills. Hmmm? Seems like a challenge that is too good to miss 8)
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland