walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cwm Eigiau Horseshoe

Cwm Eigiau Horseshoe

Postby john923 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd Llewelyn, Foel Grach, Pen Llithrig y Wrach, Pen yr Helgi Du

Date walked: 26/06/2010

Time taken: 8

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1180m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We took advantage of the fine weekend weather to dust off the tent and get a couple of nights away at Llanrwst. This was our walk on Saturday, starting from the end of a single-track gated road which leads into the heart of the eastern Carneddau from the village of Tal-y-Bont. There’s parking for about 15 cars at the end of the road and we were lucky to bag the last space. We started off down the track leading to Llyn Eigiau with Pen Llithrig y Wrach up ahead.
j923IMG_2213.JPG
Starting point view

Llyn Eigiau was hidden from view by a dam wall and presently we came across a gaping hole in it. It seems that this section of wall collapsed in 1925 after days of heavy rain, the subsequent flood claiming the 16 lives in Dalgarrog village in the Conwy valley below.
j923IMG_2214.JPG
Breach in Llyn Eigiau dam wall

At the end of the track we headed left and picked up a faint path behing the cottages at Hafod-y-rhiw. This meandered up through the heather and then picked a way through the rocky end of the NW ridge of Pen Llithrig y Wrach. It didn’t feel like a much–used route but once on the ridge it was easy going and views opened up into the heart of Cwm Eigiau.
j923IMG_2215.JPG
Looking down on Llyn Eigiau

j923IMG_2216.JPG
Looking into Cwm Eigiau up to Carnedd Llewelyn

The top of Pen Llithrig y Wrach is just marked by a few stones but its relative lack of character is made up for by views over to the Glyders in one direction and over to Creigiau Gleision in another.
j923IMG_2220.JPG
Gylders from Pen Llithrig y Wrach

j923IMG_2221.JPG
Creigiau Gleision from Pen Llithrig y Wrach

After that it was down and up again to the next top of Pen yr Helgi Du via the windy gap of Bwlch y Tri Marchog.
j923IMG_2223.JPG
Pen Llithrig y Wrach from Pen yr Helgi Du

The top of Pen yr Helgi Du narrows westward. There’s Ffynnon Llugwy reservoir below and the route ahead to Carnedd Llewelyn was clear ahead.
j923IMG_2224.JPG
Ffynnon Llugwy from Pen yr Helgi Du

j923IMG_2225.JPG
Route to Carnedd Llewelyn from Pen yr Helgi Du

There’s a steep descent at this point, no difficulties but a very airy feel because you can’t see ahead more than a few steps and a steadying hand is needed here and there. Once at the bottom a spot on the bilberry covered ridge made a pleasant place to stop for some food and a rest and to observe some interesting clouds overhead.
j923IMG_2227.JPG
Pen yr Helgi Du descent-1

j923IMG_2228.JPG
Looking down Cwn Eigiau

j923IMG_2231.JPG
Pen yr Helgi Du descent -2

j923IMG_2232.JPG
Clouds

Further along there was an easy and all-too-short scramble leading up to rocky top of Craig yr Ysfa. And just one more opportunity to look into Cwm Eigiau with the tiny pool of Ffynnon Llyffant nestled at the end before continuing up the well-used path to Carnedd Llewelyn.
j923IMG_2234.JPG
Pen yr Helgi Du from Craig yr Ysfa

j923IMG_2235.JPG
Craig yr Ysfa scramble

j923IMG_2239.JPG
Cwm Eigiau

We didn’t hang around for long on the flat summit but headed off north over the ankle-turning stones to easier ground en route for Foel Grach, pausing only to look over towards Yr Elen.
j923IMG_2240.JPG
Foel Grach from Carnedd Llewelyn

j923IMG_2241.JPG
Yr Elen

The section from Pen yr Helgi Du to Foel Grach was busy, but we met no-one else after leaving the top of Foel Grach. We descended grassy slopes, SE at first then gradually curving round picking up a path NE. This might be tricky in poor visibility but there were no problems today. There were some good views westward to Melynllyn and Dulyn reservoirs. We headed for the toothy crags of Cefn Tal-llyn-Eigiau and then dropped down to the left to join the Melynllyn access track which lead over the end of the ridge back to our starting point.
j923IMG_2247.JPG
Pen Llithrig y Wrach and Pen yr Helgi Du from Foel Grach descent

j923IMG_2248.JPG
Pointy bits of Cefn Tal-llyn-Eigiau
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Re: Cwm Eigiau Horseshoe

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Good route! Did this once years ago (minus Pen Llithrig) - this side of the Carneddau is so much quieter than most of northern Snowdonia.

Nice photos.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby PauloUK77 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Good report,and photos I can't wait to head over to Wales someday it looks fantastic,I have never been to Snowdonia or the Brecon Beacons.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Great walk and photos, been fortunate to have done the Carnedds in good weather and snow, so cold it froze the pipe to my water bladder :shock:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Yeah a great route idea - I did those from the other side from the A5. I found the ridge onto Pen Yr Helgi Ddu (I was going in the opposite direction) much harder than the Craig Yr Ysfa scramble and more exposed - I was fine on it though. I'm quite proud of myself now seeing your photos - but then I'm not quite such a mountain coward in Wales and even less so in the Lakes! :D Superb photos! :D
mountain coward

Postby Hantswalker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:05 pm

I like the Carnedds - high tops, good ridge walking and less crowded than the Glyders or Snowdon. I don't get to Wales as much as I would like to but last year managed to do the northern section of this range by way of "the Big Aber".

The last time I did the round as described was about 20 years ago, staying at the club hut in Cwm Eigiau. It was late October and shirt sleeves weather on the ridges but coming off the tops at dusk I experienced the most dramatic temperature inversion I have known.

Good pics by the way.
Hantswalker
Hill Bagger

Munros:267   Corbetts:12
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland