walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blaenau Ffestiniog round of 11 + industrial history

Blaenau Ffestiniog round of 11 + industrial history

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Allt Fawr, Cnicht, Manod Mawr, Manod Mawr North Top, Moel Druman, Moel Penamnen, Moel-yr-hydd, Moelwyn Bach, Moelwyn Mawr, Ysgafell Wen, Ysgafell Wen North Top

Date walked: 09/03/2017

Time taken: 8.5

Distance: 33.3 km

Ascent: 2255m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a camping trip last year with my grandsons in the truly magical Cwm Pennant, we drove back home via Ffestiniog, a place I hadn't visited since my teens; and driving through that slightly surreal landscape I realized that: a) there were some really very interesting-looking hills around there; and b) the entire landscape thereabouts has been dramatically altered by historical quarrying operations, and this history probably had a serious interest in its own right. Both of which thoughts piqued my interest, and caused me to log this as an area for exploration when the weather window was too short for a sortie up to the Highlands.

Scanning the weather runes - as always - at the beginning of March, it seemed like there might be one decent day in the first half of the month - Saturday, 11th March. The forecast was for generally clear weather, with some snow showers; and with my crampons grimacing at me daily - I keep them ready for quick action, but that means unavoidable daily reproach - I was rather desperate for some time in the white stuff.

So Dr Frank and I tentatively agreed on doing - or at least trying to do - a round of the Ffestiniog Hewitts on the said Saturday.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sadly, as time went on, the forecast progressively deteriorated; to the point where the CEO remarked on the Tuesday that if I wanted to get any kind of decent weather at all, it was Thursday - possibly Friday - or nothing. So given her phenomenal track record in accurate weather reading, that was that.

Weather sibyl.png

The forecast for Thursday suggested a misty start up until about 10.00am, then sunny with a little cloud for the rest of the day. So perhaps the first couple of summits in clag, but after that ....

jumpforjoy.jpg

Alleluia!!!

Like me, Dr Frank is not at all keen on clag saunas, and as he had a prior commitment on the Thursday, we postponed our day together. Now this would be a solo trip, so all that was required was some frantic rearrangement of diary commitments... Dr Frank and I had talked of taking the walk at a reasonably leisurely pace, at least leaving sufficient time to look around the disused quarry sites; and this was still my plan. Unfortunately, once I studied my diary a little more closely, I belatedly clocked we had theatre tickets for the evening, with a pretty early start - 7.00pm! That made everything look very tight timewise. But just about doable... :roll: At least I hoped so. I just need to set off back from Blaenau no later than 15.30. :roll:

Anyway, the merit of a round of this group is that it can be cut short two thirds of the way around. So no absolute prohibition on giving it a go.

Then, as I was packing on Wednesday night and mulling over the challenge of getting round the route in around 8 hours, I realised that the first part of the route I'd initially considered could be covered by bike, saving about 45 minutes.
Simplesonbike.jpg

The one mistake I made was to check sunrise times. My interpretation was heavily coloured by the fact that, starting out on my last walk 3 weeks earlier, it had been absolutely pitch black at 07.00 am. So of the many dawns defined on the website I chanced upon - astronomical, nautical, civil - I took a mean. Wrong! It really was light enough to see the mountains at 06.10 :-(. So leaving home at 4.00 am was really too late.

For some reason, the highways folk in Wales seem to have decided that now is the time to carry out road surface repairs, so there is traffic light after traffic light for much of the way :-(. Result: I arrive at the planned parking spot at about 6.20...
Image20170309_063128. ... and it is already pretty light. And less mist than forecast.

Image20170309_063135. Looking West towards Moel-y-hydd and Allt-fawr, there's virtually no mist on the summits. I really could/should have started earlier... :cry:

Frantic change, bike out and off on a hasty cycle through Blaenau Ff to the walk start, which is just before Tanygrisiau Station. Result: start at about 7.00am - far too late :-(.

Image20170309_065845. The sun is just rising behind the planned last hill of the day, Manod Mawr, as I walk down the short stretch of road between Tanygrisiau Station and the point at which the path starts, shortly before the power station. I feel a definite quickening of the pulse! The clarity of the sky augers well for the day.

Image20170309_065825. In spite of all the recent rain, Tanygrisiau Reservoir water levels are much reduced.

Image20170309_065938. Ahead the first summit of the day, Moelwyn Bach, is already clear of mist.

Image20170309_071310. Rough muddy and slippery ground...

Image20170309_072111. The path runs at a very acute angle to the ridge, so it's an easy ascent - albeit somewhat wet underfoot, as I've forgotten my gaiters, and the "waterproof" trainers I'm wearing ain't waterproof.
But. Sunrise behind Manod Mawr is rather fine...

Image20170309_073358. Fairly quickly the Llyn Stwlan dam comes into view. Moelwyn Bach to the left, Moelwyn Mawr to the right behind the dam.

Image20170309_073758. For a brief moment I'm tempted to head for the rocks; but there really isn't time. Moreover, the rock I've had to traverse so far does seem very lichenous and slippery. And scrambling was strictly forbidden by the surgeon for the next 6 months; so - sensibly - I head for the low point on the ridge that is immediately ahead.

Image20170309_074931. Once up on the mini-ridge... Looking back - wow! The geometric regularity of the dam buttresses juxtaposed on the dark water and rough wildness of the hills around is breathtaking. Panning from left to right: Craigysgafn , Moelwyn Mawr and Moel-yr-hydd.

Image20170309_075258. Ahead the ascent of Moelwyn Bach. The route I follow is just to the right of the quarry spoil tips - quite straightforward.

Image20170309_080026. And looking slightly North of East from Moelwyn Bach summit to where I hope to be in the early afternoon, the view is fantastic. Around and above me ravens call... magic.

Image20170309_080902. And this looking NW towards Moelwyn Mawr, where I'm headed next. The Snowdonia three thousander summits shrouded in cloud in the background.

Image20170309_081122. At this point I make a couple of mistakes. The first is to put down the map case (containing the map) in order to down a (cold) cross bun with marmelade and take some pics (you can guess what happens... :oops: ); and the second is not to refer to the map for the route down into the bwlch. This means that I head first directly towards the next goal - and see this. No, downclimbing doesn't seem like a good idea :shock: . So I then go clockwise to find a route down. It turns out to be doable but unnecessarily awkward: steep, with very slippery grass and rock, requiring a fair bit of care to negotiate. And therefore eating into the very limited time window.

Image2017039_082710. Once down in the bwlch, I look back to see this: a clear easy route on the LHS accessed by heading anticlockwise from the summit. Much to be preferred... :?

Image20170309_083607. Heading up towards Moelwyn Mawr the views are immense. This is looking ENE at some of the hills ahead...

ImagePano3

Image20170309_083447. Onwards to Moelwyn Mawr. Though still under a scrambling prohibition, it is very satisfying just to be on some rock.

Image20170309_083409. Llyn Stwlan showing to great effect to the East - like an early infinity pool.

Image20170309_084734. Just before the summit I encounter real snow... (if you haven't seen much this year, it is quite exciting...).

Image20170309_085010. Looking NW from the summit of Moelwyn Mawr over some wild country towards Cnicht (LHS of the picture), the next-but-one target. It looks quite a way off! In the background centre pic is the Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) group.

Image20170309_085107.

Image20170309_085057. Pano from Moelwyn Mawr from NW to NE, with most of the remaining target summits visible...

Image20170309_085747. Then a gentle descent to Moel-yr-hydd - clearly the lowest of the Hewitts on the round at just 648 metres.

Image20170309_090608. Some quite dramatic cliffs on the way, which seem to be natural rather than man-made.

Image20170309_091520. But this part of the landscape looking West from Moel-yr-hydd is very much formed by man's activities. A hundred years ago this area must have been heaving like an ant heap on a hot summer's day. Now there is no movement at all to be seen.

Image20170309_091635. The view looking back up towards Moelwyn Mawr is surely rather dramatic..... these are characterful hills indeed.

Image20170309_091532. ...but I need to keep moving if I'm to be sure of setting off back home by 15.30. The next part of the route is more or less straight ahead through the centre of the pic, up to the Cnicht ridge in the middle background, and then along the ridge to Cnicht itself at the far LHS.

I don't follow a path, but the going is quite easy, if a tad soggy under foot from the recent rains.

On the way I pass through one of the many abandoned slate working centres...

Image20170309_093106. The overwhelming impression I have is of desolation. I suppose it's the fact that the workings are relatively recently abandoned (the engine block and part chassis of rail quarry vehicle in the foreground is particularly poignant) since I don't get this feeling at all walking through much earlier abandoned mines in the Dales.

Image20170309_093119. The Cnicht ridge is in the far background. I follow a route more or less as the crow flies in a direction just West of North (at the LHS of this pic). I don't take any particular path, but nonetheless keep coming across one, so I guess others have taken the same rather obvious direction in the past.

Image20170309_093317. Pano looking back, Moelwyn Mawr on the RHS.

Image20170309_094620. One of the Llynau Dyffwys on the way to the ridge. The nature of the ground can be seen here, and I imagine route finding would be a bit of a challenge in clag. But today the weather is really perfect, so no issue there.

Image20170309_094641. A short drop into the top end of Cwm Croesor...

Image20170309_095149.

Image20170309_095204. ...then a nicely gentle diagonal cut up the hill to the low point of the ridge.

Image20170309_100133.
On the way some evidence of the inexorable march of natural erosion processes... That's a pretty hefty lump of rock that's slid down the hillside :shock: .

Once up on the top, it's a lovely undulating walk, meeting fully the key ridge walk criterion of great and clear views both sides:
Image20170309_102744. ...ahead (SW) out towards Porthmadog and what I suppose is Moel Ysgyfarnogod...

Image20170309_102649 ... South East to the Moelwyns...

Image20170309_102714.

Image20170309_103103. ...down into the rather lovely oasis-like Cwm Croesor...

Image20170309_103046. ...and NNW towards Snowdonia.

Image20170309_110627. Then it's quick easy walking back along the ridge and more or less in the same NE line across open boggy moorland to Ysgafell Wen North Top. This view is looking back towards Cnicht

Image20170309_110357. And this is looking NE from Ysgafell Wen North Top towards Moel Siabod in the background. When looking at WRs to see how to identify the Ysgafell summits (they look very vague on the map) I saw that malky_c did a big and very interesting looking walk from Blaenau, across these Hewitts and all the way to Capel Curig via Moel Siabod. The biggest challenge for this one seems to be the logistics!!! Well done malky :clap: .

Image20170309_111439. The way from the North Top to Ysgafell Wen itself is an easy trog over gently undulating - though (inevitably) boggy - moorland. This looking back at the North Top.

Image20170309_111445. It's not at all easy to see which of the 2 summits at Ysgafell Wen is the actual Hewitt, so a visit to both is called for. This is the Eastern summit viewed from the Western summit.

Image20170309_111449. And this the way ahead to Moel Druman (just left of centre), and then on to Allt-fawr (background, left). The route is fairly well worn, so probably not too difficult to follow even in clag.

Image20170309_111514. And this looking back towards Cnicht, with Moelwyn Mawr just to the left of centre, and Moel-yr-hydd on the far left. I know I've taken rather a lot of pics in this direction, but I do find it quite inspiring, especially in this mixed light.

Image20170309_112729. It's then a short trot to Moel Druman (here on the LHS), and thence on to Allt-fawr (centre of the pic in the background). Not to be confused with the Gaelic "allt" - in Welsh I believe it means "hill".

Image20170309_113312. The route to Allt-fawr is like a motorway: About 10 swampy metres wide, it looks as if scrambling or quad bikes use this route very frequently.

Image20170309_113331. Llyn Conglog. Moelwyn Mawr to the left, Moel Druman to the right.

Image20170309_114238. The route so far: Moelwyn Bach far left, the Ysgafells to the right, with Cnicht and Moel Druman in the centre background and foreground respectively, all against the whitish background of the Snowdon and Glyder mountain groups. If I reflect on my dominant feeling throughout the day (apart from wetness about the feet), it is one of wondering elation; and this picture is typical of the kind of panoramas that gave rise to it.

Image20170309_114251. Looking back more or less West from the summit of Allt-fawr across Llyn Conglog towards Cnicht;

Image20170309_114256. and from the same position, looking NNE towards Moel Siabod.

Image20170309_114449. And looking down from Allt-fawr, into one of the Blaenau quarries, I suppose now defunct.

Image20170309_114507. The route ahead, down to the A470 crossing. The next summit, Moel Penamnen, can just be seen in the top RHS behind the lake.

Image20170309_120214. Easy enough, with a visible path for the first third or so of the descent. The sun is well and truly out now, and it's hard to credit that it's not even mid-March. Cue: strip off a layer!

Image20170309_120242.

Image20170309_122123. At the bottom of the descent I stop to strip off another layer (no selfie...) and consume a cheeze, salami and Branston Pickle sarnie. This view is looking back at the descent; Allt-fawr is the high peak on the LHS.

Quick check on timing - this is the critical bail out point, if bail out is necessary; but the 3 hours remaining time looks as if it will be sufficient to get back to the car in time. Onwards and ... and upwards!

Image20170309_122946. Straight up East into the bwlch and towards Moel Penamnen. This looking back the way I've just come, with the ubiquitous disused quarries on the far LHS.

Image20170309_124103. Once up on to the plateau, it's a boggy trog around Llyn Barlwyd to Moel Penamnen, which is looking really quite splendid in the bright early afternoon sun.

Image20170309_124143.

Image20170309_124428. On the way to Penamnen, I have to cross this stream. It's a lot wider than it looks on this pic, certainly too wide to jump. So I go for a crossing by means of balancing on the lower of the wires and holding on for dear life to one of the - very loose - upper wires, wobbling backwards and forwards in a scene that wouldn't have been out of place in a Charlie Chaplin film. I'm fully expecting it to break any moment... But fortunately it holds :thumbup:.

Image20170309_130237. After this, boggy but straightforward (in this you might detect a common theme for the day.....). The ascent of Moel Penamnen is steep but short - a scant 160m. The views on the ascent are wonderful. Much of the route I've traversed so far can be seen here, starting with Moelwyn Bach on the LHS of the pic. The hill on the RHS is Moel Farlwyd, which I'd originally planned to include, but with the enforced early finish, there's no time for it today. In the background, seductively white clad, is (I think) the Snowdon group, Crib Goch to the RHS.

Image20170309_131527. Zoomed...

Image20170309_131858. Once on the top of Penamnen, the route to the Manod Mawrs is clear (and clearly going to be pretty damp). The view is wonderful: it really demands time to sit and absorb it. Which today I unfortunately I don't have... So I keep going, but not feeling I've missed too much because I'm facing in the right direction as I move on.

Image20170309_132831. The Manods ahead, the going as expected is rough and wet.

Image20170309_134532. There's no discernible path, but every now and then one of these appears, like the relic of some ancient civilisation, most of the traces of which have long since disappeared.... (Moel Penamnen in the background)

Image20170309_134538. Passing along the shore of Llyn Newydd, I'm surprised at the complete absence of birds. Indeed apart from the ravens and a few carrion crows and meadow pipits, I've seen none all day.

Image20170309_134757. A little further along I come across this amphibian orgy. Every water-filled depression in the vehicle track is full of highly animated frogs about their spring-inspired business, while there are none at all in the bigger water bodies. One can only hope that no vehicles (or indeed herons) come this way until the spawn is hatched, and the taddies have developed into froglets and hopped away to safety.
[Only on looking at this pic do I realise that I've given away the fact that I carry a scimitar on all my walks....:roll: ]

I follow the track along the shore of Llyn Bowydd for a few hundred metres, then cut up right towards Manod Mawr North Top

Image20170309_140530. Once again, the views looking back over Llyns Newydd and Bowydd towards Moel Penamnen - and in the far background, Snowdonia (Tryfan RHS, Carneddau LHS) - are quite breathtaking.

Image20170309_140553.

Image20170309_141807.

Image20170309_141824. From the summit of MM N Top, this is looking NW towards Snowdon....

Image20170309_141906. This looking NE-ish, but I'm very unsure what the hills are. Perhaps Pen y Bedw to the left middle background, and Arenig Fach and Carnedd y Filiast to the right...???

Image20170309_141835. This looking almost due South towards Manod Mawr, the last summit of the day - with the Graig-ddu quarry just coming into view.
I'd originally planned to circle the quarry anti-clockwise, because it was very difficult to discern the topography in the area from the maps; but once there, it's clear that it's quite easy to skirt the Eastern edge of the quarry and go more or less straight to Manod Mawr.

I make use of the highest level outer track of the quarry to work my way around; and for the first time see the rock close up. There are huge blocks - at least a ton apiece - delineating the boundary of the quarry. And what strikes me straight away is how very beautiful the rock is: it gives the immediate impression of great hardness, and has a wonderful deep blue grey colour.

Apparently the quarrying industry started to decline at the start of the 20th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaenau_Ffestiniog
I find it quite surprising that an alternative market for this really spectacular looking stone couldn't have been found.

In the 19th century it must have seemed that it would go on for ever. The town was more than 3 times its present size.

Image20170309_144314. It's a reasonably gentle ascent to Manod Mawr... This view is looking back northwards at Graig ddu quarry and Manod Mawr N Top.

Image20170309_144331. And this looking NNE towards the Yr Wyddfa group (LHS) and the Glyders (to the right).

Image20170309_144630. Looking SSW from Manod Mawr summit towards Trawsfynydd Lake. An inspiring view to finish the day!

Image20170309_144642. From the same point, view looking NW towards the Snowdon Yr Wydffa group (Glyders to the right of it).

Image View in more or less the same direction from a bit further down the Graig ddu quarry, dated around 1875.

Image20170309_145444. It's a steep and rough descent from Manod Mawr to Llyn y Manod, that requires a good deal of care to negotiate the rocky parts, and it takes considerably longer than one would imagine from just looking at the map.

Image20170309_150954. Eventually I'm safely down - this view is looking back at the tricky descent. The rest of the descent to Bronant where I've parked the car is relatively easy. I arrive just before 15.30, bang on schedule.

This should see me home well before 18.00, in good time to remove the reek of bog effluvia from my person. (I never notice it, but the CEO is adamant that it is seriously intrusive for anyone in the vicinity at less than 10 metres distance :roll: ).

On this occasion there is no time to replenish lost liquid at a place of historical, architectural and cultural distinction, so after picking up my bike from Tanygrisiau, it's straight back homewards.

Frustratingly, there's a massive traffic jam around Oswestry, and avoiding it via a back roads route adds about 30 minutes to the journey. But - happy ending! - we do get to the theatre on time :) .

Summary: a really enjoyable round, the experience only heightened by the industrial history that is everywhere to see in these hills. However, another couple of hours time available for savouring the views would have made for a more satisfying round overall. I'll undoubtedly be back to do it at a more leisurely pace with Dr Frank.

About 50% of the route is boggy or very boggy, ok if you are of a limicolous bent, but if you're not keen on wet feet, you'd probably be better served wearing boots, rather than the waterproof-not trainers that I wore!

Image3D Pano of route.
Last edited by Alteknacker on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Blaenau Ffestiniog round of 11 + industrial history

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:41 am

Good lord Alteknacker that is just too long :crazy: It has the distance of a Malky C jaunt...no wonder you're eyeing his hikes and considering 'em, most people look at his stuff and shake their heads thinking "he must have a quad bike" :lol:

So I go for a crossing by means of balancing on the lower of the wires and holding on for dear life to one of the - very loose - upper wires, wobbling backwards and forwards in a scene that wouldn't have been out of place in a Charlie Chaplin film. I'm fully expecting it to break any moment...

I've done this very thing myself mate and actually found myself laughing midway through the process :lol:

Some absolutely spectacular photos along the way and really interesting history too, I look forward to the revisit :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:06 am

A most excellent read, entertaining and informative. :clap: However I can only conclude this comes from a slightly warped mind, as most people wouldn't even consider such a big round! :wink:

Strangely, I've only ever managed Cnicht of any of these hills, the Moelwyns have passed me by completely.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:50 pm

ChrisW wrote:... some absolutely spectacular photos along the way and really interesting history too, I look forward to the revisit ... :

Thanks Chris. I hope the pics gave at least some idea of what a fine area this is....

Mal Grey wrote:A most excellent read, entertaining and informative. :clap: However I can only conclude this comes from a slightly warped mind, as most people wouldn't even consider such a big round! :wink:

Strangely, I've only ever managed Cnicht of any of these hills, the Moelwyns have passed me by completely.

Thanks Mal. I hope the pics give you some appetite for getting up the Moelwyns - you can see that they're pretty characterful hills.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby dav2930 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 am

A really interesting report - enjoyed that a lot. Another epic Alteknacker special - I'm exhausted just reading about it! Lots of sunny pics of such a varied landscape; has me quite nostalgic for North Wales. Have done a bit of climbing in the Moelwyns (Craig y Clipiau, Clogwyn yr Oen), all good stuff. Hoping to organize a trip down that way last week in April, fingers crossed. :)

Ps glad you made it to the theatre on time!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:22 pm

dav2930 wrote:A really interesting report - enjoyed that a lot. Another epic Alteknacker special - I'm exhausted just reading about it! Lots of sunny pics of such a varied landscape; has me quite nostalgic for North Wales. Have done a bit of climbing in the Moelwyns (Craig y Clipiau, Clogwyn yr Oen), all good stuff. Hoping to organize a trip down that way last week in April, fingers crossed. :)

Ps glad you made it to the theatre on time!

Thanks dav. Thanks also for the tip about the climbing locations. I was in too much of a hurry to examine the various cliffs I passed very closely, but I've now looked up the climbs you mention and some look possible as solos (ie V Diff or less). Just very frustrating that I have to wait another 6 months or so until the shoulder is able to take a full load :-(. On the positive side, I'll be retired by then so available time will be less of an issue.

Hope your trip in April comes off - who knows, we may even bump into one another on the hills ... :-)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Staying near here in the summer, I'll be happy to bag this many hills in the whole week :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:41 pm

That brought back good memories :D . There's plenty to see around there, and it's not even the best bit of Snowdonia. While I've been up Cnicht many times and the Moelwyns/Ysgafell Wen a few, everything east of there I've only been on once. Bit of an oversight really.

As usual, a long way in a short time :wink: . Looking forward to your Rhinogs report.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby trailmasher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Whoah!! Another great report, walk, and photos :clap: :clap: There seems to be no stopping you lately Alteknacker 8) and what a great weather day you had for it, marvelous :) The photos are lovely and clear with lots of detail, love 'em :clap: :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:17 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Staying near here in the summer, I'll be happy to bag this many hills in the whole week :lol:

I'm sure it wouldn't take you anything like a week, judging from what you normally do.

The Moelwyns are for me the best ones. But having just done the Rhinogs, I now think these are absolutely the best hills South of the border - absolutely phenomenal. If you haven't done them already, I can't recommend them highly enough; and if you have, then you'll know that they're worth multiple revisits :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:21 am

trailmasher wrote:Whoah!! Another great report, walk, and photos :clap: :clap: There seems to be no stopping you lately Alteknacker 8) and what a great weather day you had for it, marvelous :) The photos are lovely and clear with lots of detail, love 'em :clap: :clap:

Thanks TM. I really had a phenomenal weather day, and it was a great walk. I thought it was a pretty amazing environment, especially with all the industrial history, but having just returned from a traverse of the Rhinogau, I'm convinced this is the most spectacular route South of the border. Still in a state of suspended awe...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:32 am

Alteknacker wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:Staying near here in the summer, I'll be happy to bag this many hills in the whole week :lol:

I'm sure it wouldn't take you anything like a week, judging from what you normally do.

The Moelwyns are for me the best ones. But having just done the Rhinogs, I now think these are absolutely the best hills South of the border - absolutely phenomenal. If you haven't done them already, I can't recommend them highly enough; and if you have, then you'll know that they're worth multiple revisits :D

To qualify my comments I will be dragging my 15 year old daughter around with me who is well out of hill bagging practice :? , I do fancy the Rhinogs and will almost certainly be having an outing there.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland