walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

36hrs in the Hurt Locker.

36hrs in the Hurt Locker.

Postby adambarras » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 15/03/2017

Time taken: 36 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 950m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With five days free to spend around the Fort William area, we decided to try a night out around Creag Meagaidh. Having seen a weather window over the Wednesday night, and trusting to local knowledge about possible Snow hole sites, we set of in pursuit of an adventure. We quickly ascended via Na Cnapanan to summit Carn Liath, alas in continuous rain. As foretold by a man in the pub, we found a large snow bank just beneath Mell an t-Snaim, dug in and spent a fairly comfortable night in our snow hole.

The next morning we continued along the ridge, summiting Stob Poite Ciore Adair before long, whilst trying to beat the storm front due that afternoon. As seemed to be the norm last week we then promptly got hammered by severe wind and extremely heavy rain as we descended The Window, having bailed before attempting Creag Meagaidh. The return quickly became an epic, with a miserable slog along the Altt coire Ardair. I have never been so weather beaten.
Attachments
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1062.JPG

carn Liath.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

adambarras
Stravaiging

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:2   

Re: 36hrs in the Hurt Locker.

Postby grahamw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Great report. Staying in a snow cave is something i've always wanted to do. How long did it take you to dig and do you have any tips on making one? Def something I'd like to try. Thanks, Graham.
grahamw

Munros:85   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby adambarras » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 pm

grahamw wrote:Great report. Staying in a snow cave is something i've always wanted to do. How long did it take you to dig and do you have any tips on making one? Def something I'd like to try. Thanks, Graham.

Hi, It was surprisingly comfortable, out of the wind and as warm as a tent. Certainly watch some videos on youtube of others making them to get the best shape/safe. My top tip would be make sure your roof is VERY smooth and dome shaped, so drips don't form and fall on your head in the night! It took the best part of three hours to dig one for three people, a snow saw is really handy for breaking up the snow before attacking with a shovel, and use a bivvy bag so any water doesn't get into your sleeping bag. Great fun!
adambarras
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 pm

That looks like luxury accommodation with kitchen and gear store :D :clap:

Have never snow-holed, something I've always wanted to do, just never got round to it.

Despite the weather, it seems you had a memorable week and got out and about as much as possible. whilst learning lots for the future. Hopefully next time you'll get a better week!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Luxury snow hole :D, sounded like you had some good adventures despite the rotten weather. Hope you get more sunshine for your next trip.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby adambarras » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 am

Mal Grey wrote:That looks like luxury accommodation with kitchen and gear store :D :clap:

Have never snow-holed, something I've always wanted to do, just never got round to it.

Despite the weather, it seems you had a memorable week and got out and about as much as possible. whilst learning lots for the future. Hopefully next time you'll get a better week!

Hopefully! Was a great week though, it would be boring if it all went to plan!
adambarras
Stravaiging

Postby adambarras » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 am

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Luxury snow hole :D, sounded like you had some good adventures despite the rotten weather. Hope you get more sunshine for your next trip.

So do I, but its the hard trips that make the stories!
adambarras
Stravaiging

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Looks brilliant! I have this in mind to do with my grandson, if ever the snow remains for long enough (next year I guess ...)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland