walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Postby BethAtTheHug » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:53 am

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 18/06/2010

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A stunning, although fresh day awaited me as I parked up at the Ben Lawers visitor centre. After some faffing about, umming and argh'ing whether to do the Tarmachan ridge or Lawers, I decided on the latter. With maybe an out and back over Meall Corranaich too if I had the time. I had also decided to escape the midges and head to the Cairngorms afterwards so I couldn't be off the hill too late for the longish drive over there.

Looking down on the wee dam in the middle of the 'nature reserve'.

A familiar view to Beinn Ghlas.

Once on Beinn Ghlas, the col comes into view together with Creag an Fhithich, and An Stuc.

Meall Corranaich looked quite small from up here!

Down on the col and before the last climb up to Ben Lawers there is a flat bit with a couple of lochans. Wonder how long they last through the summer. Hmmm. Wild camp spot, perhaps!

The path is never hard to follow...

...all the way to the top. Although sunny the wind was bitingly cold and I needed my fleece on.

Lochan nan Cat nestling below An Stuc.

The view down Loch Tay to Kenmore.

Of course getting to the top is one thing, but you have to get home again or it doesn't count! I took the bypass path, seen here as the thin ribbon heading round the shoulder of Beinn Ghlas, as it makes for a great (mostly) circular walk...

...which takes you round to the col with Meall Corranaich.

I don't think it's very well!

Over the col the path runs along the side of Coire Odhar and back to the nature reserve.

What a lovely walk!
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Postby Sonas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 pm

So thats that's the veiw from the top :D You were luckier with the weather than I was...for the first time ever got blown off my feet at the top and see photo for my reward for the climb up! :D

9.5.JPG
View from top of Ben Lawers
Sonas

Munros:91   Corbetts:4

Re: Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

Postby BethAtTheHug » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Ah well! It's been windy and cold both times I've been up there. Good fun tho :)
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland