walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aberfeldy and Kenmore Hill walk

Aberfeldy and Kenmore Hill walk

Postby KatTai » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Route description: Aberfeldy and Kenmore: Urlar circuit

Date walked: 22/03/2017

Time taken: 5.35 hours

Distance: 22 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Picked where to go on my day off by the forecast, Aberfeldy area looked nicest so I picked out this route, of course by the time it got to today the forecast sunshine was replaced by cloud but I went anyway. Setting off from the car park at around 10:30am, the dogs came across this gentleman sat on the bench...

1.jpg

He completely ignored them! AND he didn't have any treats (Millie checked thoroughly). So we said goodbye and continued on up the Birks of Aberfeldy passing a number of waterfalls, some of which had frozen in places.

e.jpg

And there was this frosty log at the bottom of another waterfall...

h.jpg

We soon left the Birks and followed the road along to the farm, where we were directed off the road onto a path around the field with sheep and horses watching us walk by. Rejoining the main track, we were now on the moorland stretch and were greeted by the sounds of lapwing, curlew, red grouse and other upland birds.

h3.jpg

This didn't last long though, further along the track silence descended only broken by the odd grouse. It was a mostly quiet walk following the burn, which also made it an easy route to follow. And for the first time I got to use my pocket wellies when I couldn't find a good spot to cross a ford!

h6.jpg

Now, I know some will probably laugh at these but I have a bit of a problem when it comes to crossing water (unless on a bridge, I like bridges!). It is just something I have a bit of a fear of, my legs turn to jelly when having to use stones to cross water, and I always try to find the easiest way to cross. But the pocket wellies slipped over my shoes and I could just walk across (as I would with normal wellies, but they aren't so good to walk in!), bit awkward to get on and off but I was much happier crossing using them. I've not done too badly though, bought them ages ago and this was the first time I've needed to use them.

4.jpg

We continued following the main track, there were hills behind us but unfortunately the pylons were there too always getting in the way of photos!

h8.jpg

They certainly didn't leave any feeling of remoteness up there. Crossing under one lot of the pylons the original track has been fenced off in a large square (nothing in it) and a new track created to the right. It was only a minor change though, the fenced area is tiny! No idea what it is for.

The track led away from the pylons and they were no longer in view ahead of us.

h9.jpg

Though they were always there, lurking somewhere...usually in front of the distant mountains!

h11.jpg

The trail led away from the burn, I glimpsed a car on the road that the track would come out onto but even then I was still surprised when we went round a corner and there was the lochan (and the green hut).

h18.jpg

From here it was goodbye to the moors and their grouse, and hello to the road downhill...

h15.jpg

On the way down I glimpsed what I'm sure was an owl just at the edge of bit of woodland. Of course, by the time I got there it was long gone so couldn't confirm what it was. The road leads down to a house where there is now a signpost directing walkers along the route to Aberfeldy. Most of the way is waymarked/signed from this point on including at forks in the forest so working out the right track was no problem.

After walking through some fields of sheep, we reached the forest and the dogs could get a bit of a run around along the very muddy trail...

18.jpg

And find some exciting new things to play with! (I did make her put it back where it was!)

16.jpg

Most of the sections were separated by gates, but there was one bit where we had to cross a stile. This posed a bit of a problem as while Moss jumped it no problem, Millie couldn't manage the jump (she is 13 this year!) and the platform bit was too high for me to lift her onto easily. Fortunately I managed to pull the gate apart enough that she could slip through. Something to be aware of if taking a dog on this route.

100.jpg

The forest left behind, the views opened up again (though often with the pylons in the way!). Kenmore could be seen at the head of the loch, and what I'm guessing in the Lawers range behind?

h23.jpg

And more snowy landscapes with a tree...

h22.jpg

There was another problem if walking with a dog, a cattle grid with no gate to the side to avoid it just before a cottage. I had to carry Millie across, not great when she was covered in mud. I tried to get Moss to jump the fence at the side, which should have been no problem but she had other ideas and went across the cattle grid somehow using the tiny bit of concrete at the edge!

101.jpg

At long last, Aberfeldy came into view below and the track forked, with a sign directing down to Aberfeldy and another to the Birks. I was tempted to just head straight down, but we stayed on route and headed back to the Birks, where that guy was still sat reading on the bench...

h26.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Aberfeldy and Kenmore Hill walk

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:39 pm

KatTai wrote:He completely ignored them! AND he didn't have any treats (Millie checked thoroughly).

Hahaha brilliant! :clap: I always enjoy reading your reports and seeing your superb photo's of those lovely Collie's, my favourite dog breed. Your pics are always top notch, can I ask what camera you use?

Yes that is Ben Lawers and co. behind Kenmore, not sure what mountains you saw behind the pylons though, depends on what direction you were facing... i'm guessing the Glen Lyon Munros?

I have a friend in Pitlochry who refers to Aberfeldy as "Abershelbyville" with Pitlochry obviously being Springfield! :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Aberfeldy and Kenmore Hill walk

Postby KatTai » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 am

Chris Mac wrote:
KatTai wrote:He completely ignored them! AND he didn't have any treats (Millie checked thoroughly).

Hahaha brilliant! :clap: I always enjoy reading your reports and seeing your superb photo's of those lovely Collie's, my favourite dog breed. Your pics are always top notch, can I ask what camera you use?

Yes that is Ben Lawers and co. behind Kenmore, not sure what mountains you saw behind the pylons though, depends on what direction you were facing... i'm guessing the Glen Lyon Munros?

I have a friend in Pitlochry who refers to Aberfeldy as "Abershelbyville" with Pitlochry obviously being Springfield! :lol:

Than you :D I use a Canon EOS 100D (smaller version of the 700D so lighter and fewer buttons but basically the same feature-wise) with a 55-250mm IS lens :D

The dogs had great fun, that distance is getting a bit much for Millie now though! Suspect it will be me and Moss for much of the time now...until the neighbours puppy is old enough to offer her some company lol

Could be Glen Lyon, think it fits with the direction. I just think "pretty snowy hills" most of the time! I think I spotted Ben Vrackie...not sure though as it didn't look like it had snow on it so maybe it was something else as I'm guessing there should be snow up there.

Abershelbyville :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland