walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Magical snowy day on the Central Fells

Magical snowy day on the Central Fells

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Calf Crag, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, High Raise (Central Fells), Sergeant Man, Ullscarf

Hewitts included on this walk: High Raise (Central Fells), Ullscarf

Date walked: 24/03/2017

Time taken: 5.3

Distance: 21.8 km

Ascent: 1205m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A wonderful day off work for an alpine like walk in the Lake District .

The advantage of a Friday meant a quiet Grasmere first thing and I got the Helm Crag ridge completely to myself before venturing up to the Central ridge and the snowline.

Lovely and sunny but with some very deep snow on the main ridge making the going slow and tough but with the extensive, gin clear views more than compensating for this.

1 Seat Sandal.JPG
Seat Sandal from the top of the lion and the lamb rocks. It surprised me to realise it had been 7 years since I last climbed Helm Crag. I just find Grasmere a very busy place on a weekend but early on a Friday morning I had the place totally to myself.

2 The Howitzer.JPG
The Howitzer - I'd been in Dartmoor earlier in the week and this was very reminiscent of many of the summits there.

3 Back to the Lion from the Howitzer.JPG
Looking back at the Lion and the Lamb from the top of the Howitzer - easily scrambled today on dry, firm rock.

4 Howitzer again.JPG
Howitzer again with the line of ascent in view

5 Ridge ahead.JPG
The ridge to Calf Crag from Helm Crag

6 Tarn Crag, Sergeant Man and High Raise from Gibson Knott.JPG
Tarn Crag with Sergeant Man and High raise beyond from Gibson Knott

7 Helvellyn range from Calf Crag.JPG
Helvellyn range from Calf Crag

8 Back along the ridge.JPG
Back along the ridge

9 Much harder going on the main Central ridge.JPG
The going got much tougher on the main Central ridge as I often waded through deep snow to Ullscarf.

Sometimes the snow was firm/frozen and could be walked on easily, other times (particularly near the summits) they were wind scoured but more often than not it was at least knee deep.

10 NW fells.JPG
North Western fells

11 Skiddaw and Blen from Ullscarf.JPG
Skiddaw and Blencathra from Ullscarf. A lot of snow had been moved by the wind here.

unnamed.jpg
Very happy!

13 Gable and Pillar.JPG
Great Gable and Pillar

14 High raise ahead.JPG
High Raise ahead

15 Hard work.JPG
Somebody had broken a trail here but as it was frozen and the steps were deep it was actually harder to follow the trail. So I just broke another one and in turn made a bigger trail for anybody else following.

16 High Raise looking to Bowfell and Scafells.JPG
High Raise Trig looking over to Bowfell and the Scafells

17 More hard work to Sergeant Man.JPG
Sergeant Man and Codale Head ahead - more hard work

18 Coniston Fells from Sergeant Man.JPG
Coniston range from Sergeant Man

19 Lovely snow.JPG
Lovely white stuff

20 Apline like Langdales.JPG
Alpine like Pavey Ark and Stickle Tarn

21 Dropping back out of the snowline now.JPG
Dropping below the snowline with Codale Tarn and Easdale Tarn in view

22 Belles Knott.JPG
Belles Knott from below

23 Tarn Crag.JPG
Tarn Crag and Easdale Tarn - not surprisingly loads of people about now
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Magical snowy day on the Central Fells

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Magic stuff Broggy, I was on Glaramara on Saturday in just about identical conditions hard work at times but fortunately for me a more solid broken trail. Love that shot of Pavey ark.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

A damn fine show there Broggy :clap: with some great photos and report :clap: :clap: I was in that neck of the woods on the 15th but no snow like you had :( Well done on a great walk 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Great report and some cracking photies of all that fabulous sunshine and snow. Nice choice of walk too - I've always enjoyed the approach to High Raise etc. by Easedale.

Somebody had broken a trail here but as it was frozen and the steps were deep it was actually harder to follow the trail.

I know exactly what you mean. We were on Helvellyn and the Dodds the day after and it was the same there - deep footsteps frozen solid and unconsolidated stuff off piste, quite hard going either way in places. You did well to cover that distance under the circumstances. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland