walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Postby outdoor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste, from Altnafeidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 25/03/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just a short description of this walk as I did it a long time ago and am referring to the map and memory, it really is a fabulous walk and if you get the chance to do it try and do it on a good day as the views are wonderful of both Buachailles and Stob a Ghlais Choire and all the ski runs. We set off from the car park at Altnafeadh on the Pass of Glencoe, there wasn't a stile there when we did it and a lot of the hill was fenced off but I do believe that last time I went past a stile had been built over the fencing. Path leads straight up Stob Beinn a Chrulaiste to the top, no diversions, no other hills to climb, quite a few sheep I seem to remember but the views from the top were awesome. Took my then young Border Collie, Holly, probably about 5 or 6 who loved the descent (more of that later).
The top is flatish and almost whaleback in appearance with rock and stones everywhere, the short but almost uninteresting walk up (unless you keep turning round to look behind you) is well worth the panorama at the top. There were only us and 2 other people up there, we stopped , we nattered for a few minutes, we admired the view, they went there way we went ours. We had lunch and then following an Easterly direction headed down towards the Allt a'Bhalaich stream where Holly was in her element, she was in and out of it like a pup on steroids, she startled a hare and found several frogs, delved for stones and bounded in the heather. By the time we got to the bottom she was soaked and had sore paws (we had doggy first aid not a problem, she has soft claws so were used to it - anyone need advice on treating them on a hill top feel free to ask)
Quick drink at the Kings House to refuel those bits that had been drained in the sun and then we walked back to the car on the old military road (West Highland Way)
Attachments
Beinn a Chrulaiste 1.JPG
outdoor

Munros:16   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:24   

Re: Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Postby mountain tortoise » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:04 pm

This is a walk I have done to. It is often overlooked cos of all its sexy neighbours but the views from the top across Rannoch on a good day is one of the best. It is very quite considering all the traffic on the peaks around. Like the picture, I often forget to take pics as I am to busy putting one foot in front of the other.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:59 am

That's a fantastic view of the Buachaille - I'll have to head up there at some point.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby outdoor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:05 pm

I need to scan the original photo in again as the pic was resized to get it on the website, the original has more detail and as I have now worked out how to resize the photo without cropping it, it's worth putting the original on as it is a lot better and shows more views to the left......
outdoor

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:56 am

That looks a great viewpoint for the Buachaille! Lovely photo... I haven't been overlooking that hill, I've been wanting to do it for ages but I'm afraid the Munro tick-list takes priority. I've always thought it looked quite interesting though, at least the nose you walk up to start with. May manage it this June...
mountain coward

Postby bigbertie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:19 pm

yes - a great shot of the Buachaille - when I first saw your pic I thought it was a crag on Chrulaiste (which I have never climbed, despite numerous trips to Glencoe walking and climbing summer & winter). I rushed to my maps & guidebooks - could there be an amazing crag on the north side of the hill? Then I realised where it was! Thanks for the post - I shall probably do Chrualaiste now - it's one of those hills which would be popular in many parts of UK but gets neglected because of the other attractions of Glencoe.

By the way, your photo appears to show something vaguely resembling Batman flying past the crag ( or it does on my computer - and it's not a bit of dirt on the screen). Can you cast any light?
bigbertie

Postby outdoor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:54 pm

That's my Battlestar Galactica ship waiting to pick me up ;O) - oh ok, tis a bit of gold ink left over from when the photo was stuck in a book I was attempting to write! can't get it off unfortunately
outdoor

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland