walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mam na Gualainn

Mam na Gualainn

Postby litljortindan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:05 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Mam na Gualainn

Date walked: 25/03/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 800m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had intended to do a walk from Mamore Lodge but there seemed to be no access. Instead, I drove the short distance west to the path up to Mam na Gualainn. Not realising that the track behind the parking spot joins the sign posted path I started off along the road a short distance before turning onto the waymarked start.
It was a lovely afternoon though so I didn't mind a little extra time to admire Beinn a' Bheithir ahead on the road. Then it was off into some woodland for a wee while but that was soon left behind and the way ahead became very clear -just follow the path up to the bealach and turn right. I got a bit fed up with the steepening and occasionally slippy path in the relative heat and windlessness though so decided to make a north east diagonal from the 400m contour. That was ok but a bit sore on the feet.
At about 600m and 700m I crossed some burns and filled a spare bottle -handy to have a water source so high up. A few snow patches to cross too but mainly I followed the line of a fence that stretched as far as I could see ahead. In fact this fence goes pretty much all the way to the top.
I was labouring a bit in the still air and warm sun but knew that simply required a slow pace and regular stops, plus the map told me only 1.5km to go and 150m of ascent. My legs and lungs appreciated those stops. So did my eyes, of course, as I could stop to admire the view as well as to recover.
Soon the top hove into view but not before Beinn na Caillich popped up to the east, to add to the fine view of Schiehallion, Garbh Bheinn and Loch Leven.
Seeing the top didn't exactly put a spring my step -still 1km to go but I was making steady progress, especially as I was no longer leaning into the slope but, rather, onto the broad summit ridge and with an occasional 1mph breeze.
On up through a gate, an easy stroll ensued for the last wee stretch to the summit trig point. By now views west had expanded to take in a distant Ben More on Mull, Garbh Bheinn and Sgurr Dhomnhuill in Ardgour and, I think, Crom Roinn just visible against the now shimmering Loch Linnhe.
Not much to the view north -the snowy half dome of Ben Nevis and a flat lit Mamores ridge not really seen at their best from here.
An easier descent initially as I followed the ridge line all the way to its end this time. A bit of a wet and sloppy path though at the ridge end but nothing too problematic. Took the shorter route back to the car once near the bottom to end a not bad afternoon's walk.

ImageDSCN7926 by John Little, on Flickr
Beinn a' Bheithir.

ImageDSCN7931 by John Little, on Flickr
Garbh Bheinn, Kinlochleven and Schiehallion.

ImageDSCN7939 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben More on Mull.

ImageDSCN7947 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7948 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7960 by John Little, on Flickr
Garbh Bheinn and Sgurr Dhomnhuill. As I look into the distance, I look into the past.

ImageDSCN7982 by John Little, on Flickr
Beinn na Caillich.

ImageDSCN7987 by John Little, on Flickr
At the top.

ImageDSCN7990 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7991 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7995 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben More again.

ImageDSCN7996 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8009 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8010 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8011 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8012 by John Little, on Flickr
The shimmering Loch Linnhe.

ImageDSCN8018 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8019 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8020 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8023 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8024 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8029 by John Little, on Flickr
A little bit of a dream.

ImageDSCN8030 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8031 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8032 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8033 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8040 by John Little, on Flickr
To grasp what I see, to see what I grasp.

ImageDSCN8041 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8045 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8046 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8056 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8057 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8064 by John Little, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by litljortindan on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Mam na Gualiann

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Yup - does have some good views especially on such a good day.
Hope that wasn't summer over last weekend :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:05 pm

rockhopper wrote:Yup - does have some good views especially on such a good day.
Hope that wasn't summer over last weekend :roll: - cheers :)

Don't tempt fate! Personally, that'll do me fine as I really struggle in warm and windless weather. Bring on the April showers, that's what I say. In fact, I really enjoyed the cool drizzle this morning so maybe I need to re-assess how I view and respond to the weather forecast. Don't like wet grass though. Can't win!
litljortindan
Ambler

Re: Mam na Gualainn

Postby rohan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Looks like you had a fabulous day but I know what you mean about heat. I'm the same. Still, evening or early morning walks can avoid some of those scorching days, we have so many of them after all !!!
rohan

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:40 pm

rohan wrote:Looks like you had a fabulous day but I know what you mean about heat. I'm the same. Still, evening or early morning walks can avoid some of those scorching days, we have so many of them after all !!!

Yes, it was pretty good overall. I've always been bowled over by that view of Ben a' Bheithir from the road so it was great to get a more elevated prospect of the same with the back drop of Loch Linnhe and Ben More on Mull thrown in for good measure. Agree, sunrise/sunset or near walks offer a lot for the wilting.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 pm

That's a really interesting angle on Garbh Bheinn. I hadn't realised how steep it was. I quite fancy tackling it before the Kinlochleven meet.

Cracking report and pics 8)
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Looks good - really need to go up here on a nice day :D . Looks like everywhere got the sunshine on Saturday.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:26 pm

jupe1407 wrote:That's a really interesting angle on Garbh Bheinn. I hadn't realised how steep it was. I quite fancy tackling it before the Kinlochleven meet.

Cracking report and pics 8)

Thanks! Yes, Garbh Bheinn quite eye catching from there and I'm guessing a good destination for your camera.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 pm

malky_c wrote:Looks good - really need to go up here on a nice day :D . Looks like everywhere got the sunshine on Saturday.

Having had my fingers burnt in January I tried to guarantee that guaranteed sunshine this time by over heeding the vague hints of cloudier weather forecast for the north. Worked though!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby basscadet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:40 am

litljortindan wrote:
I really struggle in warm and windless weather. Bring on the April showers, that's what I say. In fact, I really enjoyed the cool drizzle this morning so maybe I need to re-assess how I view and respond to the weather forecast. Don't like wet grass though. Can't win!

Glad I'm not the only one that struggles when it gets to double figures :lol:

Looked like a braw wee walk, might be a contender to do at the meet :)

jupe1407 wrote:That's a really interesting angle on Garbh Bheinn. I hadn't realised how steep it was. I quite fancy tackling it before the Kinlochleven meet.

There is supposed to be a braw scramble up the steep side which we have been meaning to get back to it for - snowy the last time we were there. Stunningly beautiful mountain.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland