walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kinloch Hourn to Barrisdale the high way

Kinloch Hourn to Barrisdale the high way

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Eugallt

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Eun

Date walked: 25/03/2017

Time taken: 9.05 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1770m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Sgurr nan Eugallt.
Grahams: Meall nan Eun.
Date: 25/03/2017.
Distance: 23km.
Ascent: 1770m.
Time: 9 hours, 10 minutes.
Weather: Sunny, warm.

This was supposed to be a cycling and bothying trip to the far north, but having been out on the hills for 3 days through the week (and in a bothy too) as well as working, I didn't really fancy packing up for another overnight trip away. Besides, the far north was the only place in the country not to be forecast bright sunshine. So, daytrip then. As I had the car, I thought I'd aim for somewhere spectacular - Kinloch Hourn fit the bill perfectly.

On the drive over, I was still undecided as to whether to do a circuit of Sgurr a' Mhaoraich and Buidhe Bheinn or Sgurr nan Eugallt and Meall nan Uan. I was parked at Coireshubh by 10:15am, which was earlier than expected, so I opted for the longer walk.

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lovely sunshine - it was warmer than I thought it would be. The path was a bit wet due to the amount of melting snow. Before too long, I decided to divert off it and scramble directly up onto Sgurr Dubh. I had missed this out last time so it made a nice variation.

On the path above Coireshubh:

The way up Sgurr Dubh:

Sgurr nan Eugallt from Sgurr Dubh:

It took me a little longer to get onto the summit ridge of Sgurr nan Eugallt than it should have done. Mostly due to post-holing through the soft snow, but also because I kept stopping to look about.

Looking back from the final ascent to Sgurr nan Eugallt:

...and the last bit:

Whoever had been up before me (I had been following footprints) hadn't bothered going to the proper summit, a short distance to the west. A bit of a daft mistake, as the views from here (and even more so Sgurr Sgiath-Airigh) are much better. Well worth the first lunch of the day.

Sgurr na Ciche and Ben Aden:

Ladhar Bheinn:

Glen Barisdale and Knoydart:

Cuillin and Beinn Sgritheall:

Ladhar Bheinn over Meall nan Eun:

Loch Hourn and Black Cuillin:

While it was a little hazy, the Cuillin were clear and I could just make out An Cliseam and the other Harris hills off to the right.

Harris hills just about visible to the left of Beinn Sgritheall:

For all that this is known as a good viewpoint, things get even better the further west you go. I remembered the view previously from Meall nan Eun, and I also remember spotting An Caisteal on my previous visit, which looked better still. I hadn't had the time to go out to it then, so today was my chance. It's a steep descent down to the Bealach Mhinniceig, but then easy walking from there onto Meall nan Eun.

Ladhar Bheinn over An Caisteal:

Approaching Meall nan Eun:

The ridge is a little broad to see much of Loch Hourn to the right, but that is made up for by the western summit of Meall nan Eun. Time for another lunch stop.

Beinn na Caillich, Loch Hourn and Cuillin:

Sgurr a' Choire-bheithe and Luinne Bheinn across the crag of An Caisteal:

Meall nan Eun is rockier than it appears from the east, and it took me a couple of attempts to find my way down through the crags to Lochan Coire Chaolais Bhig. Good fun though.

An Caisteal is probably the largest single crag in Knoydart, but it is relatively unknown. I wondered whether it was better to look at than go up, but I was wrong. A rocky arête led to the summit, which comprised a lovely scoured slab. True enough, it wasn't really possible to get to the edge of the crag, but there was plenty of other interest.

Slat Bheinn and Lochan Coire Chaolais Bhig:

Meall nan Eun from An Caisteal:

Ridge onto An Caisteal:

Summit slabs:

There were a couple of other steep moves between crags to get off An Caisteal, before moving onto the easier ground of Beinn Buidhe, then finally the prize of the day; Carn Mairi. This isn't particularly high or prominent, but it has the best views out over Barrisdale Bay Ladhar Bheinn and Beinn Sgritheall, as well as east up the loch. I had started off a little too late to fully appreciate Ladhar Bheinn; the sun was right behind it at this point, but I didn't care. I dropped a little way off the summit to find a good spot out over the loch for another stop.

Luinne Bheinn:

Meall nan Eun and An Caisteal:

Beinn Sgritheall:

Ladhar Bheinn across Barrisdale Bay:

Druim Fada, the Forcan Ridge and Sgurr na Sgine:

Cruiser making a small detour into Loch Hourn:

Sgurr na Sgine and Budhe Bheinn:

Loch Hourn from Carn Mairi:

East up Loch Hourn:

I decided to keep descending towards the boathouse at the end of the Barrisdale track. Although it was steep, the going was good, with lots of walking over big slabs of bare rock. Eventually, however, I reached a sheer drop, and ended up working my way westwards into a heathery gully to get around it. A move back north and east had me on the Kinloch Hourn path with much less trouble than I expected.

Finally on the path:

It was 5pm now, and I was looking forward to a leisurely walk back along the loch shore. This walk is usually a precursor to something else or a weary trudge back but it's a great walk.

Canoeists camping at Caolasmor:

It was along the path that I met the only other person of the day - a guy backpacking into Barrisdale (although the canoeists across the loch weren't far away either). When I looked round, I realized what a chore he had - the sun was blazing directly down the loch, making it quite hard to see in that direction. Just fine for me though.

I had another stop at the end of the last ascent (just above Skiary) and admired the glowing red of the sunset on the hills. By the time I reached the roadhead, darkness was falling.

The walk back:

An easy stroll up the road took me to the end of one of the best hill days of late. On the way home, the shores of Loch Quoich were busy with campers and camper vans.
Last edited by malky_c on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Kinloch Hourn to Barrisdale the high way

Postby litljortindan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Some tremendous views of Ladhar Bheinn and Sgritheall.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Stunning pics, end to end, and a joy to read. A brilliant route in every way, with the contrast of the hills, and then the walk back up Loch Hourn. I couldn't pick out one pic to single out over another. Knoydart just looks soooooo seductive. And such fabulous weather, with even some of the white stuff left to add a bit of spice to proceedings.

Envy-inducing. Wonderful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I seem to be following in your footsteps, albeit some years behind (Ffestiniog Hewitts a couple of weeks ago, and Rhinogs last Sunday - just finished reading your 2012 report on this), so this augers well for getting into Knoydart in the not-too-distant future :thumbup: . It's been on my list for a while...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Superb :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Excellent choice given the weather forecast. Haven't got to the corbetts around here yet but this makes me want to start planning - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:42 am

Lovely, what a part of the world that is. Great pictures.

Fortunately I'm up there in a few weeks, doing what the canoeists were doing, though over on the Nevis side...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby PeteR » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Superb malky :clap:

Only ventured to the heart of Knoydart once, but will be heading there again this year sometime. It certainly is a superb part of the world.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Looked absolutely cracking - have eyed up this same route many times, but never get round to it as usual. :roll:
Good to see youre getting out and about so much the noo 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Guinessman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Superb TR and report Malky. Never seen Barrisdale bay from that angle. :clap:
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Grand stuff Malky :clap:

Had a three dayer Munro/Corbett weekend myself ..some weather :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby dooterbang » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Awesome photos :)

Ive still to find my way to Barrisdale via KLH, but seeing this makes me want to do it soon :D

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Jaxter » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 am

Wonderful stuff as always Malky :clap:

From photos Knoydart looks an incredible place and high on my list of imminent trips. Preferably before the midges arrive :shock: :shock:

A classic example of not needing to be super high up for wonderful views :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:37 am

Thank you for bringing back memories :D A few years back we did SnE in similar conditions, I absolutely loved the view to Ladhar Bheinn :D

I'm only hoping this is not the end of good weather for 2017 :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland