walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Great day out in Wintery Spring

A Great day out in Wintery Spring

Postby martin.h » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Allen Crags, Esk Pike, Great End, Rosset Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Allen Crags, Esk Pike, Great End, Rossett Pike

Date walked: 25/03/2017

Time taken: 8.5

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1270m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the forecast set fair for the weekend we just had to get out and take advantage of the virtually windless and cloudless conditions we were promised. :D

I'd harboured a plan to do some Wainwrights from Langdale that, for us, would be more accessible than from Wasdale which is a long drive for us in the day.
We set off from home early in a bid to get parked up in the N.T car park by The Old Dungeon Ghyll, we were there by 8:15 but it was already full to bursting :roll: so had to settle for the one at the New D.G, surprising what a bit of fair weather can do to tempt people out. :lol:

The plan was to walk up the Mickleden valley heading for Rossett Pike for starters, we set off from the car park and walked to the Old D.G on the Cumbria Way alongside the beck, the weather was fantastic, cloudless blue sky, not a breath of wind and the fells highlighted with a dusting of snow, absolutly fantastic. :D

Off we go.

Walking up the Mickleden valley the views were superb, the mountain sides bathed in sunlight, were were looking forward to our day in the mountains, what a contrast to the conditions we had on our last visit.

Views from Mickleden Valley

Bowfell.

Looking up Stake Gill.

Looking Back.

We started the climb alongside Rossett Gill which is a steady pull, gaining height gradually then steepens a bit near top.

In the snow, looking down Mickleden.

Taking a rest.

By now we had reached the snow. looking to the right the way to Rossett Pike was shown by a narrow line of footprints. The snow was quite deep here which made progress a bit slower, on the top the views were brilliant.

Rossett Pike summit.

I took a few photos

Bowfell.

Mickleden.

then we headed for Buck Pike, a short distance from the top where there's a large cairn, I think it's called the Mickleden Cairn :?: where the views down the valley are stunning to put it mildly, it's a fantastic viewpoint, not to be missed. :D

View.

Denise and Cairn, Great End behind in the distance.

Great weather.

From here we headed back over Rossett Pike and then down to Angle Tarn, the snow was a bit soft so we spent time making sure we didn't slip and slide, then it was up the other side heading for Esk Hause where we would turn right for Allen Crags.

We paused for a few moments in Esk Hause looking at all the big hills surrounding us, by now there were quite a lot of people converging from different directions proving we weren't the only ones taking advantage of the conditions. :D :clap:

After a snack we started up Allen Crags, the snow was deeper so we took our time. At the top we met four people, one of the four left, heading for Glaramara, it wasn't until he was on his way we realised we could have just missed fellow Walkhighlander johnkaysleftleg, if it was you Anthony sorry to have missed a quick natter with you, it was around 12:30pm and Hughie gave it away, you were talking about the mountains on Skye, so, Hello, :wave: I hope you had a good day.

Allen Crags.

Great End and Great Gable.

Great End, right, and towards Ill Crag, left.

Bowfell and Esk Pike.

Great Gable, Green Gable with Grasmoor etc in the far distance to the right.

Langdale Pikes.

The Dodds.

Skiddaw, far far away.

Pano taken on Allen Crags, from Bowfell to Great Gable.

From Allen Crags it was back down to the shelter in Esk Hause then the climb up Great End via Calf Cove.
Again the snow slowed us down a bit but it was easy going, at the top of Calf Cove we turned right for Great End, I've never been on Great End so I was pretty impressed with the views, all the Lakeland big 'uns can be seen, Scafell Pike was pretty impressive from here, especially with the snow on it.

On Great End.

Great Gable, Pillar etc.

Wasdale.

Bowfell.

Lingmell.

Skiddaw and Blencathra away in the distance.

Lakeland.

Kirk Fell, Red Pike, Pillar etc.

We met a couple from Carlisle on the top, we had a natter and found out they were avid Isle of Arran fans, when we told them we were going to Arran in June they were very helpful with their knowledge of the mountains and gave us some good route idea's, can't wait, Arran sounds fantastic. :D

After more food and loads of photo's we left Great End (can't understand why I hadn't been before, it's a great mountain), we headed for Esk Hause again this time bound for Esk Pike.

We could see the Isle of Man on the way to Esk Hause.

Esk Pike.

The climb up Esk Pike was slow due to the snow, it was soft so care was needed :roll: . There were a few people on the summit enjoying the sun, we decided to carry on to Ore Gap so after the summit piccy we were on our way.

Esk Pike summit.

The climb down was in deepish snow so again we made sure of our footing. In Ore Gap we stopped at a big boulder to have a longer food stop before we set off down to Angle Tarn.

In Ore Gap.

From Angle Tarn the little climb up to the top of Rossett Gill was knackering on tired legs but once on the way down into Mickleden it got easier.

Last look back before the decent to Mickleden Valley.

The path is excellent and well made, not much loose stuff to avoid, once in the Mickleden Valley the Cumbria Way makes the trudge back easier.

Time was getting on when we arrived at The Old D.G, with the walk back to the car park and then the drive home we resisted temptation and gave a visit to the pub a miss :roll: :? , a decision made easier with the promise of a ready made curry from Morrisons and a four pack of Old Speckled Hen.
That's what happened, a nice end to a fantastic day in the mountains. :D :clap:

Up again in two weeks for a weekend and more mountains, can't wait. :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: A Great day out in Wintery Spring

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:16 pm

A belated hello :wave: yes that was me a Hughie heading off along to Glaramara. We had a great day thank you if a bit tiring tromping through the snow. A report will follow soon so I can add to your excellent effort commemorating a memorable day in the hills.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Guinessman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Looked an excellent day.

I was out on the western fells the day before on a superb day, I wished I could have stayed over now!
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby trailmasher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:56 am

Some great photos of a great walk there MH :clap: And what a great weather day to be out and about on those fine hills :clap: A fair walk and height gain there Martin, well done the both of you :clap: and it's a shame about missing out on a well earned and deserved drink at the ODG :(
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:52 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:A belated hello :wave: yes that was me a Hughie heading off along to Glaramara. We had a great day thank you if a bit tiring tromping through the snow. A report will follow soon so I can add to your excellent effort commemorating a memorable day in the hills.

Thank you Anthony, yes, days like that are few and far between especially at weekends :lol: they are certainly memorable. I had planned to do Seathwaite Fell as well but looking at it from Allen Crags it looked like a trudge too far through the snow, must be getting old :lol: We'll make sure to say hello if we see you in the hills again in the future.
Cheers.

Guinessman wrote:Looked an excellent day.

I was out on the western fells the day before on a superb day, I wished I could have stayed over now!

Hi Guinessman,
Yes, it was an excellent day indeed, really enjoyed our time out there, thanks.

We're hoping our planned weekend brings similar weather, oh, on the other hand, I can't help thinking, now the weather gods know this, they're going to play "dodge the rain drops" with us :roll: :lol:
Cheers.

trailmasher wrote:Some great photos of a great walk there MH :clap: And what a great weather day to be out and about on those fine hills :clap: A fair walk and height gain there Martin, well done the both of you :clap: and it's a shame about missing out on a well earned and deserved drink at the ODG :(

Hi trailmasher,

We weren't expecting to have much snow, tbh, I'd hoped to do Seathwaite Fell as well but slipping and sliding on Rossett Pike and Allen Crags rather put paid to that idea, so we decided to shorten the route to four and we're glad we did, gave us the chance to look around and take some photo's of the glorious surroundings, I really do like that part of the Lakes :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland