walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summit Sunset

Summit Sunset

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:09 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 27/03/2017

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munro Sunset

Short Vid :

5 days of glorious spring sunshine and Scotland’s Mountains were looking superb. A dump of snow before the high pressure set in had led to some very tempting conditions.
I had managed to head up one of An Teallachs Munros the week before but wanted another outing before the normality of the westerly gales and rain returned. So with the forecast breaking, I decided to squeeze in a late walk to one of the closer Munros – Ben Vorlich. The plan was initially a wild camp, however a squeeze on time meant that this became unrealistic- and I settled for a hike to catch the sunset.

Leaving the car at Advorlich, the skies were blue and the sun warm! The familiar track headed south and the views improved with height with the Lawers group emerging to the North and eventually the Trossachs and Central Highlands to the west. What an evening! The clarity was superb! I was beginning to wish I’d brought the tent, however after a few hours I was stood on the summit enjoying a cracking sunset.

There was a breeze on the summit but this dropped quickly as I descended in the growing gloom. The night was starting to come in but before it won out the Western skies put up one final defensive battle with the sky turning pink as the sun drifted away to brighten up another part of the world!!

Imagepink skies Be More and Stob Binnein by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageDusk over the Central Highlands by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageHighland skies by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

I was taking my time on descent making lots of photo stops. The wind was completely gone now and ambling down the path in still mild conditions , watching the stars appear one by one was the best part of the walk!

ImageStars over Vorlich by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

I made it back to car before 9 and was knackered. I had been up since 5am and when a red aurora alert appeared when back in the car, I didn’t have the energy t walk back up the hill. I decided I would find a nice spot with northern skies on the way home ad park up… However as I drove east the cloud moved in and my grand plans were scuppered!

The next day I saw lots of great shots on social media of the aurora from out west and also great inversions shots! If only I had summit camped – aurora over an inversion would’ve been nice – never mind – next time perhaps 

Week before vid :

wilkiemurray

Re: Summit Sunset

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:24 am

That looked rather nice even without the summit camp - must be great living so close :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: "Excuse - I was a little tired ;-) (still am !)" :lol: :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Summit Sunset

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:58 am

Great stuff, as usual :clap: :clap: :clap: .

I do envy your proximity to these wonderful hills - it doesn't look like I'm going to get any time in the white stuff this year :( .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland