walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnoc Coinnich, no wild camping but build a motorway, no prob

Cnoc Coinnich, no wild camping but build a motorway, no prob

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cnoc Coinnich

Date walked: 24/03/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8.76 km

Ascent: 676m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was promised to be the best hill walking weather of the year so far and it did not disappoint. Warm for the time of year, no wind and clear blue skies and this was to last three or four days, well bring it on. Last year I was in this area and thought I had done more or less all the Corbetts just to be told about two weeks after that this Graham had been re-measured and had now reached Corbett status.
We were to be starting off at the car parking area along the Ardgartan road which forms part of The Cowal Way adjacent to Coilessan and walk on up The Coilessan Glen between The Brack and Cnoc Choinnich, we were not expecting to find a newly constructed motorway up Coilessan Glen probably for a future hydro development no doubt judging by the high specification of ballast and thickness used for the upfilling, yep this was going to be a bit messy and would require boots and gaiters and maybe trousers to be heading for a good wash afterwards. I think those in charge of The Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park should hang their heads in shame at the shocking mess being allowed to happen here, a disgrace. I for one find this totally unacceptable, with hindsight I'm thinking that this development may not have been noticed quite so quickly had Cnoc Coinnich had not been promoted to Corbett status last year, your views readers would be welcome.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1a.JPG
Just leaving the car parking area and already a sea of grey backfill material awaits us
2.JPG
Taking the first turning right as identified by marker posts to Glen Coilessan with The Brack in the background
3.JPG
The six meter motorway which lies ahead
4.JPG
Onwards and upwards
5.JPG
The Brack in the distance
6.JPG
We are heading towards the right hand side of the forestry plantation
6a.JPG
More bulldozed material
7.JPG
Now that's more like the track I expected to see, walking adjacent to the trees to gain access to the open hillside
8.JPG
Time for refreshment, it's a warm day, shirt sleeve stuff, in March it's been a funny old Winter here in Scotland
9a.JPG
The gate to the hill itself
10.JPG
Leaving the forestry behind with The Brack's summit in the distance
11.JPG
Snow at this point soft with a slight crust but not loadbearing
12.JPG
We are to be heading up the shoulder in the foreground and turning right towards the actual summit
13.JPG
Steeper section with a steeper section coming up
14.JPG
Heading up towards the shoulder going to the right
15.JPG
Happy to be in the snow and off the motorway of mud
16.JPG
Now on the steeper section, but no problems
17.JPG
Deeper soft snow here
18.JPG
Time for a look around to see the views
19.JPG
Made the summit cairn no problem with the actual summit clear of snow
20.JPG
Heading on down after a fantastic day on the hill and a stop off for a bite to eat
21.JPG
Crossing the burn by the bridge this time
22.JPG
Well I don't fancy cycling through this let alone walking
23.JPG
Dear oh dear, not nice but not enough to detract from a fabulous hillday, some more of the same please.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Cnoc Coinnich, no wild camping but build a motorway, no

Postby Yorjick » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm thinking of doing Cnoc Coinnich as part of a circuit including Ben Donich and the Brack, possibly taking a bus from Lochgoilhead to the Rest And Be Thankful and going round clockwise. It is a rare opportunity to bag three Corbetts in a day! More importantly, perhaps, is that the route avoids the "motorway"!
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby Jaxter » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Yorjick wrote:I'm thinking of doing Cnoc Coinnich as part of a circuit including Ben Donich and the Brack, possibly taking a bus from Lochgoilhead to the Rest And Be Thankful and going round clockwise. It is a rare opportunity to bag three Corbetts in a day! More importantly, perhaps, is that the route avoids the "motorway"!

I nearly did that by accident :shock: :shock: Classic "too wet and cold to bother with the map" error :lol:

I ended up coming down the motorway, was a bit of a downer on the day and difficult to walk on too! :?

Good to see what the views are like though :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Yorjick wrote:I'm thinking of doing Cnoc Coinnich as part of a circuit including Ben Donich and the Brack, possibly taking a bus from Lochgoilhead to the Rest And Be Thankful and going round clockwise. It is a rare opportunity to bag three Corbetts in a day! More importantly, perhaps, is that the route avoids the "motorway"!

Good thinking that man, had this been a Corbett last year I would have done just that, a fine threesome right enough, should make a fine day out, and no boot cleaning required at the end of it :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby malky_c » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Nice hill - I think the best circuit is to start in Lochgilphead and do all 3 Corbetts - bit of a drive around though.

The track is a bit of a mess :shock: . I was down that way a couple of times in 2015, and it was severely washed out with massive ravines down the middle, so it was probably about time for it to be repaired to be fair. But it does look rather brutal. Don't know if that is just down to the large amount of snowmelt just after it was laid.

Here's how it looked before (not my photo):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/105280606 ... 377745120/
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby PeteR » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:33 pm

That track is unrecogniseable from the track I walked along back in August Rod :shock:

A great hill though, once you get away from that mess. Looks good with some snow on it too, by the looks of it. Was a wet, claggy day when I was up there last year.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Yorjick » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:49 pm

malky_c wrote:Nice hill - I think the best circuit is to start in Lochgilphead and do all 3 Corbetts - bit of a drive around though.

Malky_c - You are a hillwalking superman! Lochgilphead is miles away! Presumably you would include a swim across Loch Fyne and traverse the Grahams Beinn Lochan and Cruach nam Mult on the way! :lol:

Just an average day for you?! :crazy:

Starting from Lochgoilhead would be enough for mortals like me!
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:21 pm

Great photos Rod. Fab to see people on the hills in short sleeves! 8) 8)

I'm pretty sure that track is even worse than when I was along it in January this year :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby malky_c » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:16 am

Yorjick wrote:
malky_c wrote:Nice hill - I think the best circuit is to start in Lochgilphead and do all 3 Corbetts - bit of a drive around though.

Malky_c - You are a hillwalking superman! Lochgilphead is miles away! Presumably you would include a swim across Loch Fyne and traverse the Grahams Beinn Lochan and Cruach nam Mult on the way! :lol:

Just an average day for you?! :crazy:

Starting from Lochgoilhead would be enough for mortals like me!

At least you knew what I meant :lol: . I do get my Goils and Gilps mixed up easily!
malky_c

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Jaxter wrote:

I nearly did that by accident :shock: :shock: Classic "too wet and cold to bother with the map" error :lol:

I ended up coming down the motorway, was a bit of a downer on the day and difficult to walk on too! :?

Good to see what the views are like though :D

Coming down the very soft motorway, good for the joints and feet, but boots and lower legs were a total mess, a good hose down was required :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:38 am

The track is a bit of a mess :shock: . I was down that way a couple of times in 2015, and it was severely washed out with massive ravines down the middle, so it was probably about time for it to be repaired to be fair. But it does look rather brutal. Don't know if that is just down to the large amount of snowmelt just after it was laid.

That's some difference there malky_c think I prefer the original though, ta for posting. Nice meeting you at the Dundee Quiz :) :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:35 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Great photos Rod. Fab to see people on the hills in short sleeves! 8) 8)

I'm pretty sure that track is even worse than when I was along it in January this year :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

W
Bit of a messy quagmire Polly, not nice at all, cannot believe the LLTNP allows this to happen :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:41 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:

That's some difference there malky_c think I prefer the original though, ta for posting. Nice meeting you at the Dundee Quiz :) :)

Yep, I think they could just have sorted the drainage and fixed a couple of holes - no need for all of that. Good to see you at the quiz :)
malky_c

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:12 am

PeteR wrote:That track is unrecogniseable from the track I walked along back in August Rod :shock:

A great hill though, once you get away from that mess. Looks good with some snow on it too, by the looks of it. Was a wet, claggy day when I was up there last year.

Hi there Pete, not a pretty sight, but I have informed the relevant people so I guess its just a matter of 'Watch this Space' iTs just a pity others in Authority are closing a blind eye :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland