walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scrambling season officially opens

Scrambling season officially opens

Postby basscadet » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9.3 km

Ascent: 934m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only had one day for walking this weekend, and with all the fine weather we supposed all the snow would be gone 8) Time to dust off the scrambling shoes that have been unloved since being thwarted on Laggan Garbh buttress by an icy cascade at the start of November :D
Dougie chose the route, a buttress up the Wee Buchaille. It was so nice in Glen Coe when we got there that we almost stopped at Altnafeidh for a go up North Ridge, but ended up sticking to the plan, despite our route looking rather wet, it being on the shady side of the glen.

Wee Buchaille 2 4 17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off, past the cairn, over the burn and onto the old road which we followed until we got back to the main road. It was then out onto the bog, some slabby bits and crests making it possible.

We traversed leftward, using the network of deer tracks to get up to where we wanted. It was difficult to find the right bit as usual, but after some faffing we found a good looking buttress so headed on up. :D

We went more or less up the skyline I think

up there!

It was so much fun to be scrambling again, and the route was way better than I expected, and felt a bit more difficult than its grade 2 rating, some of the wee steep sections gave me very wobbly legs indeed :lol:
Good views opened up - fantastic 8)

Drizzle shower for a few moments :shock:

The buttress leveled out, with just a bit more interest at the top.

The way ahead didnt look like it would be without interest however :wink: The instructions in the book were somewhat vague, so we just meandered up the most interesting looking way.

There was one rock band that was incedibly mossy and wet, so we were forced up a very steep vegetated slope, where the undergrowth wasn't really attached :? Not the best, but it led up to more fun scrambling on drier rocks above, another buttress out left giving a good wee challenge :)

The last pitch was glorious, before we finally came to a cairn - that was it :( Good interesting undulating wander to the summit though 8)

We didn't stop at the summit long, it was partially sunny but that wind was cold!
I wont bother describing the rest of the route, I'm sure there are many reports on this one. We were just going to head down the path, but it was so nice we decided to go up to the other top as well.

Beautiful day - isn't Glen Coe special? and a braw route for an old favourite :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Scrambling season officially opens

Postby teaandpies » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Wowzers. So little snow about. Looks like good fun :)
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:32 pm

As ypu say, "Beautiful day - isn't Glen Coe special? and a braw route for an old favourite :D". Exactly :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Chris Mac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Great pics and an impressive scrambling route! Top stuff, nice one. :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby basscadet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks folks - t'was a good start to the season. :D
Hope the weather stays like this till next winter :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby prog99 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks, one to remember for our inevitable next ascent of the wee bookil. Although to be honest scrambling season never really finished this winter!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby basscadet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:42 am

prog99 wrote:Thanks, one to remember for our inevitable next ascent of the wee bookil. Although to be honest scrambling season never really finished this winter!

Aye, only a few sprinkles of snow this year, but its the flows of ice you have to be careful of - always seem to develop high on the crag, right at the crux :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Looks like a great way to the top, though not sure about the unattached vertical vegetation bit! Those are the bits that make me wobble....
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby basscadet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Looks like a great way to the top, though not sure about the unattached vertical vegetation bit! Those are the bits that make me wobble....

Och aye, nothing worse than being on a bit of ground which thinks its the travelator from Gladiators :lol:
Surprising how fast you forget them bits though :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby gman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Great pics, this winter's been a bit of a non-starter so it's good to see scrambling back on the menu!
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Great day for it - looked like you were both having a very enjoyable time :thumbup:
Bit too energetic and challenging for me though - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Nice route. I was down in Glencoe myself last week in the good weather. I could stay there for ever. The options are endless.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland