walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corbett cycle race to the top won by Mountain Thyme

Corbett cycle race to the top won by Mountain Thyme

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:04 am

Route description: Càrn na Saobhaidhe, via Dunmaglass

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn na Saobhaidhe

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 27.4 km

Ascent: 717m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was staying at my Daughters near Inverness so this hill fitted the bill nicely and Theresa (Mountain Thyme) was to be leaving Glasgow to begin the walk by 0930hrs, Ewan and myself were hoping to get there by a 1030 hrs start as my Daughter had the van which would transport ourselves and the bicycles and had hoped to return to the house by 0930 hrs. Good news Daughter arrived back early so Theresa was informed and she decided to make a break for it starting out at 0950 hrs and hoped to cling on to her time advantage and get to the summit cairn first, she is very competitive that way as you some of you might already know. Ewan and I were ready for the of at 1010 hrs, so we jump on the bikes and head off hoping to catch her up quickly

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Parking area on the B851 next to the phone box
3.JPG
Reading the notice re rules of access around the wind farm
4.JPG
After passing some buildings on our right and disregarding the track going off to the left we continue along the main wind farm track, already I'm having chain problems on the borrowed bike as it keeps slipping when pressure is being applied, we take the left fork at this point shown in picture
5.JPG
Chain keeps slipping and a few verbals are spat out as continue up the track, photo looking back towards Dunmaglass lodge
6.JPG
Ewan waiting patietly for The Rodmiester as he struggles with gears and chain
7.JPG
At last the first sighting of MT far away in the distance pushing her bike up the steep gradient, the race is really on now
8.JPG
Zoom in, confirms our first thoughts it is her
10.JPG
Both of us are off our bikes at this stage and MT has disapeared from view
11.JPG
Looking back we took the right track which takes us over a bridge crossing rather than a splash through
12.JPG
Just checking the bike over after nearly going head first into a burn crossing, he had hit a large stone which wasn't to be seen above water, well no damage done to either bike or rider only two very wet feet
14.JPG
Arriving at an estate building recently erected and not constructed too well as there were visible signs of water ingress both on the floor and up the timber walls
16.JPG
As we turned on top a steeper part of the track there was another sighting of MT , we were getting much closer and yes it didn't appear she had her bike, she was just legging it up the steep track which was pretty soft underfoot in sections. Finally we see the first sighting of the summit cairn
18.JPG
Well guess what, whose that having 40 winks at the cairn, dam she beat us!!
19.JPG
Summit cairn group photo. We were there in 2 hours 10 mins, I think we were beaten by roughly five to ten mins. Good effort Theresa but it must of spoilt your hill experience just a little constantly looking back knowing we were catching you. The things you do to get there first, I don't know.
20.JPG
We wandered about the summit as we were not too sure where the highest point actually was this is at another stone on the flat summit area
21.JPG
Time for a chat and something to eat before the very quick descent
22.JPG
Heading back down to the estate building where we would find
23.JPG
Theresa's bike hidden at the rear. Another we stop to pump her tyres up as the pressure was low and the last past was going to be fast and fun
24.JPG
A few more mishaps with the chain with it coming off a few times and still slipping in gear
25.JPG
Heading around to the right not going over on the track in the picture. Word of warning take an up to date map and a GPS as there are so many tracks going off on both sides it is difficult to know which is the right track, we made a couple of simple errors, so well done MT on the navigation front.
26.JPG
Main wind farm track in the distance with the wind farm behind for all to see
28.JPG
Speeding over the bridge before another wee uphill section to the main track
A.JPG
Ewan and Theresa posing before the last very fast downhill downwind section. So that's how her navigation was so good she has an aerial detection system as you can see, lol
30.JPG
Full steam ahead near the final bridge crossing, almost a free wheel to the cars. Another great day on the hill but the first time Iv'e cycled to a Corbett summit.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Corbett cycle race to the top won by Mountain Thyme

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Great fun Rod - enjoyed the WR. Told you that you should've taken Noddy.....no loose chains (just lost padlock keys!! on Beinn a Chaisteall)

Good that you are gracious in defeat, not that you have much choice with MT. :wink:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Scotjamie wrote:Great fun Rod - enjoyed the WR. Told you that you should've taken Noddy.....no loose chains (just lost padlock keys!! on Beinn a Chaisteall)

Good that you are gracious in defeat, not that you have much choice with MT. :wink:

Nice one Alan, and don't think I haven't forgotten the lost keys episode, I'm reminded about it every now and again :lol:
I don't think Noddy would have gone that speed at the final downhill section :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Im reading lots of excuses there as to how come you were last :roll: 'my chain' 'not my bike'

Great day out especially since i made it to the summit first :lol:

summit1.jpg
a wee 40 winks whilst waiting
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:47 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Im reading lots of excuses there as to how come you were last :roll: 'my chain' 'not my bike'

summit1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have to make excuses don't I! I still think you had a huge advantage using your special navigational device :lol: :lol:
Until the next time :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:49 pm

We didn't take bikes to this one, simply didn't realize the tracks were so good all the way to the top :think:

Congrats to MT for beating the boys (the girl power made the difference I think!) :lol: :lol:

This was wee Lucy's first mountain and she's been hooked since...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:01 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
mountain thyme wrote:Im reading lots of excuses there as to how come you were last :roll: 'my chain' 'not my bike'

summit1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have to make excuses don't I! I still think you had a huge advantage using your special navigational device :lol: :lol:
Until the next time :wink:

Haha. Id call it careful planning and preparation. Need to find the pic of you getting back to the car in 3rd place :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:We didn't take bikes to this one, simply didn't realize the tracks were so good all the way to the top :think:

Congrats to MT for beating the boys (the girl power made the difference I think!) :lol: :lol:

Defo one for the bikes Evie. Id hate to have walked that Corbett :(
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:15 pm

BlackPanther wrote:We didn't take bikes to this one, simply didn't realize the tracks were so good all the way to the top :think:

Hi BP, give credit where credits due MT, did good :clap: , it would have been so easy for her to take a few wrong tracks as there are so many bing in all directions, we made a couple of silly wrong turns but soon we're back on track, don't think this would have made any difference to the outcome though.
As MT says I'm glad we took bikes that's a mighty long haul on the boot :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:42 am

Hi Rod, that's the closest Corbett to my house (I think :roll: ) and I have been on the top a few times and in the general area often. Not the most exciting hill in the world but a great one for the bike. I like the approach from Garthbeg
It gets worse in the Monadhliath all the time with windfarms and hydro schemes unfortunately, but there is a great waterfall to visit on the approach from Corriegarth if you ever do it again (I know that's unlikely :D )
Good report and pictures.
All the best. :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37656
Sunset tripper

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:55 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Hi Rod, that's the closest Corbett to my house (I think :roll: ) and I have been on the top a few times and in the general area often. Not the most exciting hill in the world but a great one for the bike. I like the approach from Garthbeg
It gets worse in the Monadhliath all the time with windfarms and hydro schemes unfortunately, but there is a great waterfall to visit on the approach from Corriegarth if you ever do it again (I know that's unlikely :D )
Good report and pictures.
All the best. :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37656

Hi Sunset tripper, thanks for the info re the other approach, as you say might be unlikely :lol:
It's perfect for the Bike don't fancy walking those tracks though, and so many as well, could be very confusing. Hope you weren't too near the fires that were reported near Dores last night, all the best, Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby malky_c » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:33 pm

That track looks like it's had a bit of an upgrade since I was last there. Bet the top bit is still rough though!

I nearly got lost a few times cycling up there 6 or 7 years ago. I bet there's loads of new tracks now and I'd probably get lost again.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:45 pm

malky_c wrote:That track looks like it's had a bit of an upgrade since I was last there. Bet the top bit is still rough though!

I nearly got lost a few times cycling up there 6 or 7 years ago. I bet there's loads of new tracks now and I'd probably get lost again.

Hi malky, think the main windfarm track at the beginning has, but your right there are so many tracks going in all directions now, very difficult to navigate in poor weather I would imagine :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi Rod - after 6 months of track walking I think this would be a good hill for me to get back on the Corbett trail with (obviously as a purist there will be no two wheeled assistance :lol: ).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod - after 6 months of track walking I think this would be a good hill for me to get back on the Corbett trail with (obviously as a purist there will be no two wheeled assistance :lol: ).

Hi Gordie nice to hear from you, yes at one time I might have considered myself a purist but on this hill I was mighty glad I had the assistance of two wheels. Just back from doing the two Glen Feshie Corbetts, and yes so very glad of the two wheels :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland