walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

St Fillans again

St Fillans again

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Each, Creag Ruadh

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 4.9 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1090m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another 'local' outing picking off another couple of hills that haven't been frequented by my good self. So after looking at the map I opted for a couple of Grahams on the other side of St Fillans. After looking at the walk reports for the duo, I decided to yet again create my own route. So with my route plotted and loaded into my phone I was ready.
I arrived at the parking area at the foot of the hill and was on my way by 8,45 and the good news is that I gained 200m of height on the track before I opted to go off piste 8)

Image Early morning low level shot of Loch Earn

Image Take your pick

Image Off we go up

Image Slightly higher shot of Loch Earn looking towards St Fillans

Image A few uninhabited small buildings

Image Decisions

Image My route up Creag Each

I was tempted to head uphill when I reached the fence and it looks as if a few other walkers have done that, however I continued and gained a bit more height before picking my route.

Image Very prominent cairn

Image Looking back, the track can be seen

Image Plan is to head up the stone gully

Image Ascent route zoomed

Image Caravan site on the south side of Loch Earn zoomed

Image Kind of indicates the steepness, good thing is height is gained rapidly

The stone covered gully I was planning to follow had some nice grassy terrain for me utilise and the ascent was easy and straightforward. Once at the top of the gully, the cairn was on my right and the summit was over a few humps on the left. On the ascent I had to peel off a couple of layers as the sun was beating down, that all changed just as I reached the summit, not only was it blowy but the sun went in so the layers were put back on :(

Image Looking back down

Image St Fillans zoomed

Image Aforementioned prominent cairn

Image Creag Each summit cairn

Image Ben Vorlich zoomed

Image Ben Vorlich again with Stuc a' Chroin in the background

My plan descent wise off Creag Each was to make for the track again and follow it north and then back south. The other option was to trudge across the Glen which I guessed would be squidgy and kind of uneven. As I was going round Sron Mhor I checked my watch and thought I was making really good time, then it suddenly dawned on me that I was still an hour behind :lol: :lol: As I rarely wear my watch I may just leave it until Oct as it goes in the far too difficult category :roll: :roll:

Image Eastern end of Loch Earn

Image Any suggestions?

Image Looking rather dry

Image No water either

Image Quite a few new pipes dotted around

Image Still no water and not much chance of drowning

Image My initial ascent route up Creag Ruadh

My ascent route up Creag Ruadh wasn't set in stone, so I was surveying the terrain on the left and noticed what looked like a good option and was quite pleased with my decision. The short grass up the gully made for easy going 8)

Image Looking back across to Creag Each

Image Came across a few patches of 'burnt ground'

Image Looking back down my ascent route

Image Plenty of grouse butts

Image Fenced off because?

Once the higher ground was reached to the south of Loch Eas Domhain, the going became boggy in patches and it was a matter picking my way across the ground before the final push :lol: There are a few crags around Creag Ruadh so it was a matter of scanning the way ahead and the rocky summit was soon reached.

Image Summit of Creag Ruadh

Image Ben More & Stob Binnein in the distance

Image Above shot zoomed

Image Arty shot, a couple of lochans with Ben More in the background

Image Shock horror, a path, however it wasn't going in the direction I wanted to head :lol: :lol:

Image My descent route across the heather to the other side of Glen Tarken

My plan was to head across Glen Tarken to pick up the ascent track back to the car. I was expecting it to be tough going but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was and my boots even stayed dry :clap: :clap:

Image Crossed over the track heading for St Fillans

Image Only obstacle of the day the raging torrent of Glen Tarken Burn

Image Nice easy descent back to the road

Image Eastern end of Loch Earn again

Yet another enjoyable outing, neither of the hills are difficult and Creag Each offers great views of the 2 Munro's on the south side of Loch Earn.
I only posted this WR as nobody else has advertised this route :wink:
Next will be more of the same :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: St Fillans again

Postby rockhopper » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Wot :shock: no donalds ? :wink:
Nice day for it - not an area I know but does give some great views - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: St Fillans again

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:55 pm

rockhopper wrote:Wot :shock: no donalds ? :wink: - cheers :)

Saving them for "the summer" :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland