walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui and Cairn Gorm

Ben Macdui and Cairn Gorm

Postby BethAtTheHug » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 20/06/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst looking at the map I wondered about, for me, a massive day out; head out from the Cas carpark and up the ridge between Lurchers and Lochan, over the plateau to Ben Macdui, on the way back turn right at Lochan Buidhe and head for Cairn Gorm. It would be the first time back on the plateau, on my own, since my Glenmore lodge navigation (sept08) and winter skills (feb09) courses. I took the sailing approach; I'd head off 'in the direction of' and see what happened.

macduigorm.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking back to Coire Cas carpark, with a fair amount of high cloud around it wasn't too hot and a good breeze helped.

I was soon on the path up the ridge.

Looking into Coire an Lochan with the great slab in the centre. Some wag had skied along the headwall snow patch... that must have been 'interesting'!

A distant Cairn Gorm.

Getting back on the plateau was an absolutely awesome feeling, hard to describe the elation I felt. To understand I think you would need to have had my 2009, to be there.

The views opening up to Braeriach and friends.

Looking back the way I came, Lucher's crag and the Lairig Ghru.

Sgor an Lochan Uaine and Cairn Toul.

The plateau isn't exactly flat!

Ben Macdui finally appears, it's the top to the right.

I think this is Beinn Mheadhoin (middle hill) with it's summit tors.

The boulder fields provide a few excuses to have a wee photo break, here the great coires of Braeriach.

I think we've left the shire far behind now Mr Frodo.

Still a few big snow fields to cross.

And suddenly I'm there! The direction indicator is a bit weathered, not surprising considering it's been there since 1925.

There were a few people around, one took my photo for me! It was pretty cold and windy on the top, I found a wee shelter to hunker down in and have a quick lunch break - it was much too cold to see if {url:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_liath>the old grey man[/img] appeared!

At Lochan Buidhe I turned right and headed for Cairn Gorm.

On the way. The 1141 top visible at the head of Fiacaill Choire Chais

A rescue chopper was 'having fun' in Coire an T-Sneachda, the wind must have been blowing him straight into the coire headwall as to get near the edge the wind coming up was fearsome.

The fiacaill ridge... maybe one day when I'm with a climber!

Eventually I made it round to Cairn Gorm. What a lot of people about!

The funniest incident was someone videoing themselves at the top saying 'we are on the highest point in britain...', I couldn't resist shattering her illusions! Oops.

The obligatory photo of the weather station.

The views, for once, were cracking!

Back to Ben Macdui.

And of course, I had to get down again. My knee had been getting worse, hurt like hell on the descents, I seriously considered getting the last train down. But I simply could not spoil such a superb day by cheating right at the end. So I walked down the track. Backwards, at times. It was worth it.
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ben Macdui and Cairn Gorm

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37 pm

It's a superb walk that isn't it - I've done it a few times and had mixed weather. At least you had some great visibility! :D I didn't know the direction indication on MacDui had been there since 1925 - you learn something new every day! :D And you're right with the pic of Beinn Mheadhoin - that is what it is.

I'm led to believe the Fiacall Ridge scramble isn't that bad - I certainly want to have a go at it...
mountain coward

Postby BethAtTheHug » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:07 am

Hey, me too. looking down on it didn't help much either! Must be one of those 'other' definitions of 'not too bad' :shock: :lol:
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 am

Another great report.... I'm fancying a go at the Fiacaill ridge - never done it. I think you can avoid any hard bits on the right hand side, suppose we'll just have to see :)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 am

Bit of a picture fest there Beth,
Lots of people on Cairgorm. (the highest mountain in britain :lol: ) Live and learn. Not sure I could have restrained myself and told her the truth :lol: Well done
monty

Postby magicdin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:52 am

great report Beth - the cairngorms are a terrific hillwalking area

Fiacaill ridge scramble - yes I fancy a go at that - and it is a "deleted top" that I have'nt done :D
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby BethAtTheHug » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Oh I did tell her monty! Apparently the ranger had told them it was the highest mountain in Britain. I told her it isn't even the highest in the cairngorms! Dont think she was too amused. Ah well.

Next time I hope to be doing some overnighters round there.
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Lovely pictures in there. I like it up on the plateau, fairly easy to get onto from the N too.

I was going to do a step by step picture report of the Fiacaill scramble a couple of weeks back, but I didn't manage to get out in the end. Will hopefully get a chance at some point soon, as it is a lovely little route - one I try and do every year.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kinley » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:31 pm

One of my favourite walks - the plateau is just special :D

I hadn't realised you were...well you :lol:
kinley

Postby BethAtTheHug » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:48 pm

Well, umm, I'm certainly me. Who did you think I was? Did we meet?
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Postby kinley » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 pm

BethAtTheHug wrote:Well, umm, I'm certainly me. Who did you think I was? Did we meet?

Ah - apparently not - you look the spitting image of another Beth then who posts on OM and SHills :oops:
kinley

Postby BethAtTheHug » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Spitting image eh! :lol:

Yes I probably am that Beth. Although only intermittently here I seem to prefer it. Still occasionally drop in to OM and SHills, but little makes me pop my head above the parapet.
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland