walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghobhlach

Beinn Ghobhlach

Postby gaffr » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Route description: Beinn Ghobhlach

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Ghobhlach

Date walked: 13/06/2010

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ghobhlach, on the land between the two Lochs Broom, has very often caught the eye when descending towards Ullapool from the North. In some ways it kind of gets in the way of a good view of An Teallach....it is a hill that blocks and does appear to be bigger than its 630 metres. When the higher hills don't look too appetising it produced a fine mixed bag of a half day out last Sunday. From the end of the Badrallach road which leaves the main road close to the Shenevall parking.....walking begins, above the sea, with a couple of Kilometeres on the well maintained path that leads out to the Scoraig community. Leave the track, I think that I was aware of a very small cairn at this point, and head up on a kind of crushed grass feint path to link to two Lochans then up to a smaller lochan above which the top can be reached on a steepish mixed small sandstone outcrops and vegetation slope. On a clear day the views must be good. I had just glimpses of the sea loch and a bit of Ullapool to the North and some of the Corbett Sail Mhor to the South. I'll have to return for some images of An Teallach on a clearer day.
summit area of Ghobhlach.jpg
The summit area of beinn Ghoblach

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by gaffr on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Ghobhlach

Postby monty » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:23 pm

No Pictures Gaffr? :D
monty

Postby gaffr » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 am

No pictures Monty.....was affraid that I might get my camera rusty had I taken it out. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:37 am

I take it it was precipitating down :D I have just checked that hill on the map. Its in the middle of knowhere and with no corbetts or munros around I imagine there are no people :lol: You trying to get away from it all :lol:
monty

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:31 am

I'm glad you've posted that Gaffr - I've had my eye on it for a while and was wondering how to go about it! :D
mountain coward

Postby BethAtTheHug » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 am

We, Hub's and I plus Jake the Collie, tried to do this in May. Can't recommend the SMC Corbett book route - didn't find a path or cairn, it was a boggy slog up straight up steep slopes that hubby really didn't like. If I'd thought about it I would either have looked on here first - which seems a good route, or head up the slope immediately out the car park on a rising traverse using the 'shelves' in the strata. Both of us humans were knackered by the time we got to the lochans and didn't fancy doing the rest!
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby gaffr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:26 am

Didn't have the SMC book with me during that weekend.....had been down at Rubha Mor with some others for some cragging....on the wet Sunday the others went off on their bikes so I went to Ghobhlach :) I wouldn't have fancied doing it the SMC way! Sometimes the map is best for working out a route. Obviously not the first to do it way I went several others had been this way...traces of crushed grass....I'll accept that....the path with eventually develop, if it ever does, in this area!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland