walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dogs Ring of Steal

Dogs Ring of Steal

Postby Lmitch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi
Just wondering about taking my dog with me on the Ring of Steal. Anyone taken theirs? She's a pretty good scrambler in the Lakes.

Cheers
Lmitch
Munro compleatist

Re: Dogs Ring of Steal

Postby PerthAlly » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:35 pm

The Ring of Steall is a canny hike. Took me 8 hours.

There are precious few escape routes. Plus there's little fresh water to be found.

Personally I wouldn't take a dog. But then again, others do :)

Enjoy. It's a cracking walk
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Can your dog tightrope walk? :shock: The river may not be easy to wade across or swim across for the dog. Folk do let their dogs swim the river depending on conditions and take their dogs round the ridges. For me it would be too stressful but I suppose it depends how much faith and trust you have in your dogs abilities. All the best :D

The Steall Bridge across the Nevis.
P1010221 (640x480).jpg
Sunset tripper

Postby madprof » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Can your dog tightrope walk? :shock: The river may not be easy to wade across or swim across for the dog. Folk do let their dogs swim the river depending on conditions and take their dogs round the ridges. For me it would be too stressful but I suppose it depends how much faith and trust you have in your dogs abilities. All the best :D

This is why you balance the dog on your head, or hold it in your arms and do a tight-rope walk across. Simples.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:54 pm

It depends on the type of dog I guess, but, if you do take her, keep an eye on the state of her paws, there are some pretty sharp stones in places. I've seen bad dog owners dragging limping and bleeding dogs around some walks & in one case I had to do a bit of first aid on a retriever with a cut foot on Scafell. As others have said, once you leave Steall waterfall, there's no water en-route and a drop of a few hundred feet would be needed to get to a spring.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby KatTai » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Can your dog tightrope walk? :shock: The river may not be easy to wade across or swim across for the dog. Folk do let their dogs swim the river depending on conditions and take their dogs round the ridges. For me it would be too stressful but I suppose it depends how much faith and trust you have in your dogs abilities. All the best :D

The Steall Bridge across the Nevis.
P1010221 (640x480).jpg

I'd let my dogs swim it, they'd just have to swim back though because no way would I be going across that wire bridge! :shock:

I don't think mine would have/have had a problem with the walk itself, but the lack of water for such a long stretch would make it a no for me personally. Running out of water would not be good, plus current hill walking dog loves nothing more than a lie down and splash about in whatever water she can find!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby gary » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi, I took my border collie around the ring of steall, she is very comfortable scrambling, not keen swimming but managed across the river no problem, it wasn't that bad when we did it. We took plenty water with us but weather was not great so it wasn't a big problem that day.
My friend left his lab at home that day as he didn't feel comfortable with him scrambling, although it does love swimming.....
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Postby Lmitch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks everyone. That's all helpful > I knew about the swimming start but I would worry about her paws and the lack of water. She can enjoy a day's rest in a local kennel!
Lmitch
Munro compleatist

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 pm

My lab retriever is more sure footed and fitter than any of us mere humans.
Paw damage is probably the biggest concern on areas of scree.
I've had the dog up summits in Skye and Snowdonia, they love it.
Depends on your dog I suppose and how active it is normally.
As for the swim it would be harder to keep her out the water!
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion