walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby Sam Singh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 08/04/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1344m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I often trek in the Himalayas. Have done Snowdonia and Scaffell Pike. Had heard much about Ben being the most difficult.

Arrived at Gen Nevis Youth Hostel on 07 Apr evening and sought advice from the management about the walk. I was told that it's challenging, would need a map (bought one), should carry enough food and water, and start as early as possible since it could take around 4 hrs one way. Saw a poster saying the climb burns 2000 calories and full breakfast at the hostel was only 600 calories.

I normally start my day with 1 ltr of warm water 30 mins before breakfast and that's what I did. Had continental breakfast and started the trek alone at 7.45 am, without any carrying bag, and with just one chocolate (Mars) and an apple in my pocket.

I walked without any halts. There was lots of snow and mist in the final stages, but I didn't need the map since with some effort the cairns were visible as path finders.

By 10.30 I was on the summit. Began my descent after approx 15 mins of photographs, and by 1 pm I was back in the hostel, sat down and had the chocolate and apple.

I only want to share about the prevailing misconception that one needs to carry lots of food and water. I saw many who did, but this only slowed there progress.

I wish to reiterate that I did this trek without having a sip of water or any food en route.

Happy walking!
Attachments
IMG_3186a.jpg
Me on Ben Nevis
Sam Singh
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Sam. When I was young I often went out in the hills and countryside without food and water and fairly ill equipped, and as you proved generally you can get away with it.
I certainly wouldn't advise people to go up Ben Nevis with no provisions or equipment though in Scotland usually carrying water is not essential as decent water can be found en route.
Nowadays almost every time I go out if I did have an accident or got lost I reckon I could survive overnight and probably longer even in poor weather.
You don't have to take food, water or anything else for that matter but if you don't I guess eventually you would get into bother..
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Coop » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Well in.

Wouldn't advise anyone to go out on the hills without food, water or an extra layer.

At least take a hip flask or a can to celebrate :)

Disclaimer: if you get steamin and fall over its your own fault :)
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 pm

Well done on the ascent but not well done on the advice. Chronic dehydration = kidney problems for some. Some folk can no doubt manage with less water than others need but why take the chance or advocate it?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby prog99 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:41 pm

litljortindan wrote:Well done on the ascent but not well done on the advice. Chronic dehydration = kidney problems for some. Some folk can no doubt manage with less water than others need but why take the chance or advocate it?

Seconded/thirded etc.. Even in my daftest moments I always go up a hill with the appropriate kit for the conditions.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Jings well done taking on Ben Nevis under these circumstances and living to tell the tale.

Personally I never stop feeding my face on the hills and when I finish my supplies I usually start scrounging off anyone who is with me.

Please consider taking a rucsac with emergency supplies next time.

PS hope you enjoyed yourself and got some views
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Essan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Personally on a hill like the Ben I'd always carry extra in case of meeting someone else in need.

I agree, depending on fitness and weather conditions, you can just walk up and back down again in a few hours, without any need of sustenance en route. But that doesn't make it adviseable for most people to try.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Skyelines » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:31 pm

It's true there are so many things we do without the need for the things we carry.

For example I have driven half a million miles without the need for the spare wheel, jack and brace in the boot of the car.

However I was very thankful that I had always carried them when I unexpectedly drove over that one inch of road with the nail in it. :D
Skyelines
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland