walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Re-post: An Aran round of 10 - 1, closed by bike

Re-post: An Aran round of 10 - 1, closed by bike

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:08 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Aran Benllyn, Aran Fawddwy, Cribin Fawr, Erw y Ddafad-ddu, Glasgwm, Gwaun y Llwyni, Maesglase, Pen yr Allt Uchaf, Waun-oer

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 11.25

Distance: 52.4 km

Ascent: 2850m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Making a mistake once, even twice, is said to be acceptable, provided one learns from the mistake and doesn’t repeat it. So what can be said when one makes the same mistake THREE times !!!!!

From this perspective, this is a tale of the sad lack of flexibility in at least one human brain… :( .

Having just taken the CEO to the airport from where she’s off for a week on Lanzarote with her sister, I now have a week on my todd. But I’m feeling very tired from the very early start, in a way that I never am after an early start for a day in the hills…. So, somewhat mojo-less, I mooch around for a while ... before then thinking to check the weather outlook. Which is really good for the Sunday! Definite resurgence of mojo!

New mojo.jpg

I walked the Arans some 20+ years ago, but I can’t remember much about it (incidentally, this is a good thing, I think: it means if you ever seem to be running out of hills – like Weaselmaster, Broggy1 and other must be – then you just start again :) ). Driving through the Bala/Cadair Idris area, though, in the last couple of years, I certainly noticed that this ridge looks very attractive.

So quite late on Saturday, I decide to go for an Arans Ridge walk. It’s a more or less linear ridge, so it looks like the standard closure method using a bike is called for, and will be easy to manage. I mark up the Hewitts on my map in biro – 10 in total; but for once (don’t know why) I don’t link them with a highlighter. This proves to be a significant omission. :roll:

A quick timing calculation leads to a 5.30am departure decision.

The plan is to park near Dolgellau, and then cycle up to the Northern start point in Llanuwchllyn.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Image20170402_072545. The drive to the start point takes me through the hills I expect to be walking in during the afternoon. Looking absolutely marvelous - absolutely no need for a tin of spinach to pep up the mojo!

Image20170402_073421. I arrive at my planned parking spot just after 7.30, and the sun is just emerging over Waun-oer, my planned last summit of the day.

Image20170402_074941. A last cup of tea as I unpack the bike and change into walking gear, then out on the road. Cadair Idris is looking most inspiring in the morning sun as I cycle down the single track lane.

In fact the panoramas all day were wonderful - it's worth clicking on the pano pics to get a larger view of them and thereby a better impression of what it was like.

Image20170402_075003[/url]

Image20170402_084617. Some 20km later I arrive at Llanuwchllyn. The view from the bridge over Afon Dyfrdwy just going into the village, looking up at Aran Ridge, is rather fine!

Image20170402_090734. The start point is very easy to find - it's a single track metalled road, and there's a sign on the gate at the start of the road. I stash the bike behind a minihydro station building, and then set off up the track. The start of the route is well signposted where it leaves the track on the RHS, and after only a short stretch you can look back and see Llyn Tegid (Bala Lake).

Image20170402_091354. ...whilst looking ahead towards Aran Benllyn, the path is quite easy going (if a bit boggy) and very clear, running alongside the fence. In the centre field background is (I think) Rhobell Fawr.

Image20170402_100256. Looking back along the ridge towards Llyn Tegid (LHS), showing the relatively easy walking conditions.

Image20170402_100626. And looking ahead towards Aran Benllyn. Somewhere around here I hear and then see the first pair of Wheatears I've seen this year. Wonderful - a real sign that spring is here :) .

Image20170402_102221. Another natural but strange sight, repeating what I saw last weekend in the Rhinogs: frog spawn obviously laid when there was a bit of shallow standing water, now dried out. The weird thing in the Rhinogs was that it was within a few metres of a llyn..??

Image20170402_102712.

Image20170402_103041. Looking East towards Foel Rhudd on the approach to the summit of Aran Benllyn, the verdant valley bottom of Cwm Croes presents a dramatic contrast to the brown-green of the hillsides.

Image20170402_103545. ...and looking North back down the ridge ascent, Llyn Tegid in the background;

Image20170402_103716. The views are superb, this looking West towards the Rhinogs (just left of centre) and Moel Ysgyfarnogod (just right of centre), Trawsfynydd Lake just visible, but the Snowdon range on the RHS wreathed in cloud.

Image20170402_103928. ...and looking South, the ridge ahead...

Image20170402_104031.

Image20170402_104216. ...but the vistas ahead are definitely quite inspiring! The path remains very clearly defined, as can be seen on this pic. Moreover the coordinates of every stile are given on a plastic plate on the stile itself, so it would be really easy to locate oneself in poor visibility conditions.

Image20170402_105112. The summit itself is a tad uninspiring.

Image20170402_105422. Erw y Ddafad-ddu is not far away.... Brilliant ridge walking: easy going so one can concentrate on enjoying the views both sides.

Image[/20170402_110922. Looking South from the summit of Erw y Ddffad-ddu towards Aran Fawddwy. These fellahs are quite high - at 905m not far short of Munro height.

Image20170402_112615. A BobMcBob moment... ... looking down on to Creiglyn Dyfi.

Image20170402_112704. The view looking West towards the Rhinogs from the highest point on the walk - the 905m summit of Aran Fawddwy.

At the summit I meet the first walkers of the day, a young Polish couple living in Llanrwst. They’re keen walkers, scramblers and climbers, and have been pursuing these activities all over the UK since they moved here. We chat for quite a while on these endlessly fascinating subjects ( :roll: ), comparing experiences and routes, then head off in our separate directions (they’re heading back to Llanyuwchllyn from where they started out this morning, about an hour earlier than I).

ImageThe next summits in sight: to the left, Pen yr alt Uchaf in the background; to the right, Gwaun y Llynwi, Glasgwm, and Maesglase.

Image20170402_115730. First I walk straight ahead to Drws Bach, the slight hump to the left of centre, where I contemplate whether to "bag" Pen yr alt Uchaf, which looks anything but inspiring - in fact it's difficult to determine which of the slight hummocks along the ridge it actually is. But there's still time to do it, so I think I might as well... so I leave my sac, and head off towards Drysgol.

Image20170402_121229. The view from Drws Bach: Drysgol to the left, and out to the right the Pen yr al Uchaf ridge.

Image[20170402_123633. The route to Pen yr alt Uchaf is straightforward enough, if a bit damp under foot (particularly if your shoes are waterproof-not) and with some peat hags on the gentle ascent to the "summit". This view is looking back North the way I've just come, Aran Fawddwy in the centre, and then 2 summits to come: the wonderfully symmetrical trapezoid of Gwaun Llywyni to the left of AF, and finally on the far left, Glasgwm.

Image20170402_123709. This strange construction looks like it's the highest point on the ridge, so I guess it's the Hewitt proper. Less than wholly overwhelming!

Image20170402_130047. A rather dramatic view looking North towards Aran Fawddwy, with the other Arans and Creisgyl Dyfi in the background, taken just at the low point between Drysgol and Drwys Bach.

Image20170402_130543. Back at the cairn at Drws Bach, which seems to have been erected in memory of a Mountain Rescue guy...

Image20170402_130527. ...struck by lightning! The only thing more terrifying than avalanches.... :shock: It really does seem that a fair number of hill folk get fried in this way...

Image20170402_131102. Now a gentle ridge walk to Gwaun y Uwyni, and from thence a bit of a heathery yomp followed by a most attractive looking ascent to the summit of Glasgwm (from behind which Cadair Idris is peeping out).

Image20170402_132638. En route to Glasgwm, the going does get a little rougher...

Image20170402_135305. Looking back the way I've come: Aran Fawddwy is the main peak, with the unmistakeable trapezoidal top of Gwaun y Llwyni on the RHS.

Image20170402_141340. The summit cairn of Glasgwm - a grand place. But this is where it goes wrong. In the centre of the pic are the next two hills I think I'm going to: left to right: Maesglase and Cribin Fawr. On the RHS of the cairn is the summit I should be going to, Pen y Brynfforchog... What has happened is that this summit is located exactly on the main map fold, and I just don't spot the triangle I'd marked on the map last night. This has 3 consequences: one, I miss bagging an admittedly fairly unremarkable Hewitt; but more importantly, it means I follow a route picking my way through 500 metres of steep descent in boulder forestry, which takes an absolute age; and it also means I miss the fantastic waterfalls just below Brynfforchog - I only spot these when I'm on the other side of the valley :( . So this is the second time I've walked past a summit I was intending to do, and the third time I've missed my way because of a fold in a map. Someone will be recommending I get one of these new fangled GPS thingies soon, I've no doubt :oops: .

But fortunately I didn't discover any of this until I was back home, so it didn't spoil my walk too much (though the battle through the forestry was really a pain).

Image20170402_141350. A last look back towards Aran Fawddwy before I head down the hill.

I draw a veil over the next hour plus. It was horrible...

Image20170402_151651. This is pretty typical of the bits where there were no trees...

Image20170402_161715. The 350 metres ascent up the other side of the valley is hard work too. So it's a full 2 hours later, that I top the Moel Cwm yr Eglwys ridge, at about 500m, which leads up to Maesglase, and I look back at the scene of torture... which looks annoyingly harmless from this distance :evil:

Image20170402_162229. But soon forgotten. Now it's on ahead to Maesglase, thoroughly enjoying the late afternoon sun.

Image20170402_170248. There appear to be 2 slightly elevated humps of similar height: this one, and the one in the distance. Looking on the map doesn't shed any light: the far one has a spot height of 674m while the near one is at the centre of a large 670m contour ring; so I do both.

Image20170402_170303.

Image20170402_171245. Then it's on towards Cribin Fawr along a very satisfying - if slightly marshy - undulating ridge.

Image20170402_172816. Looking back along the ridge from Craig Portas, great walking conditions for this part of a longish day...

Image20170402_173201. And looking ahead to the North West towards the penultimate summit, Cribin Fawr. The path runs to the LHS near to the forest, and allows good, quick walking, being on grass, with only a few boggy parts, and following more or less the fence line.

Image20170402_175456. Cribin Fawr is similarly indistinct and uninspiring. I pootle around a bit trying to see if there's anywhere higher; but the point from which I take this pic looks like the most elevated...
Looking ahead, the cairn on Waun-oer, the last summit of the day, can be seen (and the Cadair Idris group in the background); but it's a little deceptive: there's a 160m drop and ascent to get there.

Image20170402_181407. However, it's a mercifully short walk in fact, and I'm soon up on the summit. This shot is looking back towards Cribin Fawr (wherever that may actually be!!!).

Image20170402_182059. This shot looking North features more or less the entire route: the Arans in the far background, LHS, and Maesglase on the RHS.

Now is a simple 2.5km descent on reasonable ground to the car.

Image20170402_182313. The descent is pretty well straight down the centre of this pic. And it's quite a bit steeper than it looks from the pic.

The only challenge is crossing the Nant Ffrid-fawr stream. Fortunately there are many trees that have fallen across it, and I manage to find one that gets me across fairly easily.

And then a quick drive back to Llanuwchllyn to collect my bike.

Of course, after last weekend's debacle with water shortage, I had 3 litres of water with me, which - Sod's Law coming inevitably into play - I didn't need, since there were many streams at which I could slake my thirst.

Image. But one can never be too careful in the matter of insensible fluid loss (as Dr Frank has repeatedly warned me); so for the sake of my health, before heading home I repair to an establishment of cultural, historical and architectural distinction, there to replenish missing electrolyte and other liquid.
Last edited by Alteknacker on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Re-post: An Aran round of 10 - 1, closed by bike

Postby dav2930 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:41 am

That looks a superb range of high hills. I really must have a look at this area and the Rhinogs too. Another very impressive day out AK and a great report with some fine pics. :clap: Shame about that area of felled forestry - that stuff is truly horrendous to negotiate, probably the worst kind of surface to walk on in the world :crazy:

Sunday was definitely the nicer day that weekend. We did a biggish walk in the Lakes on the Saturday and it was raining quite a lot of the time, but it was still very satisfying to get back into the bigger walks and I can see why you like to do so many of them. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby trailmasher » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Another fine day indeed Alte with the usual great pics and report :clap: :clap: Pity about missing a couple of hills and it is most annoying :roll: especially as a second visit has to be made at a later date to 'clear up the books' so to speak :? Well done you :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:57 am

Looks a superb walk over some very grand mountain country, good to see the wide shots looking so good in full widescreen. :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:02 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looks a superb walk over some very grand mountain country, good to see the wide shots looking so good in full widescreen. :thumbup:

Yes, I think it's not at all bad, especially given the range of country which one gets to view. I'm kind of falling back in love with Wales...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:14 pm

You keep introducing me to ranges of hills I never knew existed. That looked quite epic and I had no idea there was anything that high down there.

And now I have a moment named after me. If that becomes a trend I can finally say I've achieved something in life. :lol: My little legacy to the hillwalking community :lol:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby stig_nest » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Super report

Being a Shropshire lad (exiled now) The Aran group has a very special place in my heart. I'd go so far as saying it's the best range in the whole of Wales.
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Nice to see what the Arans look like on a clear day. I've been up them twice, in mist. I haven't ticked off Erw y Ddffad-ddu as I'm not sure if I ever found the summit. Clearly worth a revisit in good conditions.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby malky_c » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:32 pm

That's a nice clear day - some lovely sharp images in there :) . I tended to write this area off years ago as most of it was verboten, with just a couple of permissible routes on the main ridges available without trespassing. The access reforms have certainly opened it up a bit and made route planning more fun - lots of good summits around.

In terms of suggesting a nice logical route around these summits, it may be a bit late now, but if I may present this :wink: :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22290
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 am

dav2930 wrote:That looks a superb range of high hills. I really must have a look at this area and the Rhinogs too....

.....We did a biggish walk in the Lakes on the Saturday and it was raining quite a lot of the time, but it was still very satisfying to get back into the bigger walks and I can see why you like to do so many of them. :)

Yes, I'm rediscovering Wales somehow. These are definitely worth a round.
Saw your report on your Saturday outing - definitely a pretty big walk. I was impressed that you stuck to your plan at the start, notwithstanding the unpromising outlook... :)

trailmasher wrote:Another fine day indeed Alte with the usual great pics and report :clap: :clap: Pity about missing a couple of hills and it is most annoying :roll: especially as a second visit has to be made at a later date to 'clear up the books' so to speak :? Well done you :clap:

Thanks TM. Not sure that I'll be trying to clear up the books... though Malkyc has suggested a massively better route for this lot that he did, which I may well try out at some point in the future...

BobMcBob wrote: ....And now I have a moment named after me. If that becomes a trend I can finally say I've achieved something in life. :lol: My little legacy to the hillwalking community :lol:

Definite achievement :clap: :clap: :clap: And a pretty decent portfolio of pics too :thumbup:

stig_nest wrote:Super report.

Being a Shropshire lad (exiled now) The Aran group has a very special place in my heart. I'd go so far as saying it's the best range in the whole of Wales.

Thanks Stig. One can debate the quality of mountains (I'm currently very taken with the Rhinogs), but these are certainly very fine hills, with superb views both sides of the ridge.

Phil the Hill wrote:Nice to see what the Arans look like on a clear day. I've been up them twice, in mist. I haven't ticked off Erw y Ddffad-ddu as I'm not sure if I ever found the summit. Clearly worth a revisit in good conditions.

I know what you mean about EyDd. I claim it because I just made sure I covered all the high points :) .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:06 am

malky_c wrote:That's a nice clear day - some lovely sharp images in there :) . I tended to write this area off years ago as most of it was verboten, with just a couple of permissible routes on the main ridges available without trespassing. The access reforms have certainly opened it up a bit and made route planning more fun - lots of good summits around.

In terms of suggesting a nice logical route around these summits, it may be a bit late now, but if I may present this :wink: :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22290

You're obviously a very law-abiding citizen. I'm afraid I take intimations of "private land" as an open invitation.... :roll:

Having now read your WR (which I greatly enjoyed your BTW), it's clear that your alternative route is massively better than mine. I attribute my inferior choice to the short timescale for the decision to go, plus the fact that I had very fond memories of walking up the ridge from Llanuwchllyn a couple of decades earlier (but then I returned via Foel Rhudd). Quite apart from being a more logical route, the views along yours are in a lot of cases - eg of Maesglase, and the waterfall at the head of the cwm - much superior - it's really a great route. If I repeat these, I'll definitely go your way.
Unfortunately my approach to routes tends to be to plan them without reading others' reports - so I'll have the 100% surprise/experience - and then to read them afterwards to compare. This does have its downsides.... :roll:
Last edited by Alteknacker on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby malky_c » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Unfortunately my approach to routes tends to be to plan them without reading others' reports - so I'll have the 100% surprise/experience - and then to read them afterwards to compare. This does have its downsides.... :roll:

That's precisely my approach as well (apart from if I know there's going to be a lot of forestry to battle). People's reports give me the photographic inspiration to go somewhere, but I prefer to pick my routes from the map rather than hang on every marker cairn and path junction mentioned - certainly adds to the fun!

My attitude to 'private' land is a bit different now to what it was when I was growing up. Probably all this time spent in Scotland (most of it since the land reforms in 2003) has made me a bit bolder in other places :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Riverman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Awesome report! I've skirted close to the main Aran ridge a couple of times but never made it up to the ridge proper. I'm not sure when I will now that I'm stuck in the flatlands of Benelux. However, visits to my parents in Worcs can always be combined with a Wales trip so hopefully I'll get to sample this ridge soon.

I've also seen the Rhinogs from afar on a couple of my walks in this area. They also look like a great collection of hills. I'd love to plan a route that took in all four of the main Rhinogs, starting from the south and ascending Rhinog Fach via the south ridge climb. The climb is graded Severe so something I could follow but definitely not lead. I reckon that would be an awesome day training for the Alps as you'd reach the south ridge of Rhinog Fach towards the end of a long day and then have to do a short technical climb while reasonably tired.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Riverman wrote:... visits to my parents in Worcs can always be combined with a Wales trip so hopefully I'll get to sample this ridge soon.

I've also seen the Rhinogs from afar on a couple of my walks in this area. They also look like a great collection of hills. I'd love to plan a route ... ...and ascending Rhinog Fach via the south ridge climb. The climb is graded Severe so something I could follow but definitely not lead. I reckon that would be an awesome day training for the Alps as you'd reach the south ridge of Rhinog Fach towards the end of a long day and then have to do a short technical climb while reasonably tired.

I'm sure you know from your own round that skirted the Arans on the East that they're well worth a visit :-).

Thanks for the tip about the Rhinog Fach S Ridge. I might get out there and inspect it more carefully. I looked at it - not knowing what it was - on the round, just clocking that it looked promising for climbing/scrambling; and I've also checked out some descriptions and pics of it from a climbing perspective. Severe is just beyond what I'm comfortable with soloing - at least on such a sustained route - so my acquaintance with it will probably remain at the level of an inspection...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland