walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Re: Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Postby Nigels3011 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Just for info - I did the two from Craig on foot. Took me 10 hours.
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby Jaxter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Just in case you decide to tackle the Corbett Beinn Tarsuinn from Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich the path down was very badly eroded 3 years ago and would think it would be much worse now,it was not a pleasant way down, even worse if wet.

I'm not sure which bit of the path you mean? We didn't have any problems last year... :wink:
Report here if it's any use https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64037
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Just for completeness and future thread visitors, we did these from Achintee nr Strathcarron, on a lovely little path over to Bearnais Bothy, where we stayed the night twice. Top location, great little bothy. I would recommend this is you're more a walker than a cyclist, its a superb way to do these hills, more beautiful than Attadale but less height gain than the Craig approach. The path is not cycle friendly.

The bonus is it starts and finishes near the pub!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby PerthAlly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Nigels3011 wrote:Just for info - I did the two from Craig on foot. Took me 10 hours.

On foot! Not sure my knees could cope :lol:

I've decided to cycle in from Attadale.

Many many thanks for all the postings
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Jaxter "As we descended to the bealach we checked out our route up the impenetrable looking face of Cheesecake - there were a couple of gullies that looked doable and once we got there the path confirmed this. Excited to be scrambling again (but trying not to look down) we fired up the gullies and reached the final pull to the summit"

Going up would be no problem,and as you know doing the reverse can be a lot more probmatic which I was confronted with,it was wet and slippy and not much grip.
If I remember correctly the gully off Cheesecake was marked by a small cairn.
Good TR.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Jaxter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Jaxter "As we descended to the bealach we checked out our route up the impenetrable looking face of Cheesecake - there were a couple of gullies that looked doable and once we got there the path confirmed this. Excited to be scrambling again (but trying not to look down) we fired up the gullies and reached the final pull to the summit"

Going up would be no problem,and as you know doing the reverse can be a lot more probmatic which I was confronted with,it was wet and slippy and not much grip.
If I remember correctly the gully off Cheesecake was marked by a small cairn.
Good TR.

Ahh that bit, yeah that's true. Would be a bit sketchy coming down that bit :shock:
Didn't notice a cairn but wasn't looking for it as we were going up :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby GillSte » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:03 pm

gary wrote:I did these two a few weeks ago from Attadale, there is a lot of hydro work in the estate at the moment but the plus side to the track being upgraded is , although not great to look at, it allows pretty decent going on a bike all the way to the bothy once you reach the high point in the track.

Oh no! Another hydro scheme. I saw the vans sniffing around and marker poles on the moor when I climbed Beinn Dronaig last year... :(
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby gary » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:00 pm

GillSte wrote:
gary wrote:I did these two a few weeks ago from Attadale, there is a lot of hydro work in the estate at the moment but the plus side to the track being upgraded is , although not great to look at, it allows pretty decent going on a bike all the way to the bothy once you reach the high point in the track.

Oh no! Another hydro scheme. I saw the vans sniffing around and marker poles on the moor when I climbed Beinn Dronaig last year... :(

Yeah, I read on a sign that there are three different schemes within the estate, one I think looks as if it will be near the start of the track then the other two look as if they will be nearer the lodge itself!
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:9

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Rather than trying to bag these two Munros in a single long day, I'd recommend using either Bearnais or Bendronaig bothies to spread the trip over two days. I 'bagged' the two Munros years ago (walking in from Achintee and dropping off the overnight stuff at Bearnais bothy on the way past), but I missed Lurg Mhor's western top, so am planning to go back in from Attadale via Bendronaig, again as a 2-day trip.

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 pm

I cycled in from Attadale up to the river just past Bendronaig. Didn't go round to loch Calavie but straight up Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich head on, then on to Lurg Mhor back down to the bealach and down to the loch then a short walk and long cycle out with a fair bit of uphill section to start with.
Including the driving we left Inverness early in the morning and were back in Inverness 13 hours later which surprised me a bit as I'm not particularly fast.
I guess these munro are not as remote as I first thought, easily doable in a day but an overnighter would be better. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby PerthAlly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 am

Sunset tripper wrote:I cycled in from Attadale up to the river just past Bendronaig. Didn't go round to loch Calavie but straight up Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich head on, then on to Lurg Mhor back down to the bealach and down to the loch then a short walk and long cycle out with a fair bit of uphill section to start with.
Including the driving we left Inverness early in the morning and were back in Inverness 13 hours later which surprised me a bit as I'm not particularly fast.
I guess these munro are not as remote as I first thought, easily doable in a day but an overnighter would be better. :D

Aye, Sunset Tripper. It isn't as serious a day out with a bike to hand. I'm planning a day trip from Perth.

Looking forward to this one :D
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:45 pm

PerthAlly wrote:Gill . Many thanks

Fife Flyer. Read your super report.

I'm really excited now :lol:

Not been on a bike in 10 years so I better get some practice before disappearing into the hills :lol:

Went with a friend of ours who never had a bike as a child and only used one for a year as a student before buying a moped...he did not inform us of his cycling history. We hired bikes locally as our landlady had told us that "The Wing Commander did it that way." A big mistake. I had the heaviest ladies pink mtb it has ever been my misfortune to ride, I thought our friend was hanging back with me out of gallantry, but he couldn't really manage the bike. On the way down hill he did a spectacular header over the handlebars, luckily into peat, and as everyone else had whizzed on, I had to pull him out. The moral of this story is, take your own bike and get used to it first. However, I agree with the others that this is the best way to do them. We did meet a guy who preferred doing everything the old fashioned way (he even wore a tie and a tweed jacket) but he had started out a 5 a.m. to get there walking.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Guinessman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Did these two myself last May by biking in from Atttadale to Bendronaig bothy. Checking my TR I see it took me 1hr 20 mins to cycle in and 1 hr back and I'm no athlete! If I recall there is/was a notice outside the bothy by the estate asking for bikes to be left at the bothy.

I've also cycled/ pushed into Glenuaig from Craig which also took 1hr 20 mins but Bendronaig gets you closer to these two.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby steven65 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Enjoy your "day trip " Ally .... too much effort for me for 1 day , besides I like Bothying. I did this pair in January from Attadale , a very friendly estate :clap: - it was my 1st outing of 2017 - in great weather too !!!!!
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion