walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Grasmere Wander

A Grasmere Wander

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blea Rigg, Silver How

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 630m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One week after a great snowy day out in the Lake District the unpredictable weather of the British hills had struck once again and all of that lovely white stuff had melted away save for the odd patch spied on Helvellyn. Still with a beautiful day forecast on the Sunday an opportunity to return was too great to miss and once again the journey over the A66, (a route that I could probably drive in my sleep, and have done once or twice :shock:), was undertaken. This time however Nicola and Grace joined me and the mighty Hughie for what has unfortunately become a rare family outing.

With the fitness levels of Nicola and Grace being questionable there was little point in being overly ambitious so we parked up at Grasmere, that most wonderful of Lakeland villages, and set off up Red Bank Road before turning up the public footpath up Silver How.

ImageLooking back at Grasmere by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNot so much Silver How as Rusty How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn to the open fellside by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFollowing the wall by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The countryside around these parts is idyllic, mirror like lakes, beautiful natural mature trees, rugged crags all backed by higher fells. All of this can be enjoyed to the full on the fairly easy walk up Silver How eased by some very fine stone pitching up the ascent gully that would otherwise be an eroded mess.

ImageGrasmere and Rydal Water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Stone pitching up the gully by
Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down on Dow Bank by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was a magnificent day and a magnificent view to match form the modest summit of Silver How. The Helvellyn Range behind the shaggy terrier of Helm Crag and the Western arm of the Fairfield Horseshoe provide fine interest before moving around to the Lakes of Grasmere, Rydal Water and Windemere. The Forests of the South Lakes give way to the Fine ridges of the Coniston Fells before Langdales finest are beautifully seen to the West.

ImageLangdale Fells from Silver How by Anthony Young, on Flickr (click on pic to see full size)

ImageSilver How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Grasmere and Rydal Water from Silver How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSeat Sandal, Fairfield and others by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLangdale from Silver How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We lingered a while, who wouldn't? before heading in the general direction of Blea Rigg. Before this however there was the small matter of three Birkett tops that as I was here I thought I may as well visit. The first, Lang How looks quite promising at first before you realise the real top is just a grassy rise, the next, Swinescar Pike provides confusion if nothing else. Hill bagging UK gives the top as a prominent cairn on a grassy mound but the OS map certainly points towards a odd grassy knoll to the North West. There is little doubt that the cairn is slightly higher but when the actual book is consulted it sides with the OS map for both grid reference and description. Wherever the top is the view down to Langdale is superb with Crinkle Crags taking center stage.

ImageTarn near Lang How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to Langdale and Youdel from Lang How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLangdale from Swinescar Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Swinescar Pike Summit? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The Landscape around these parts is very typical of much of the Lake District, rough craggy terrain with a multitude of paths winding around the obstacles reveling different views at every turn, it's hard to imagine many places with as much charm as this especially on a beautiful spring day. The next Birkett, Raw Pike/Castle How was reached and we took in the fine view to the Coniston fells before the final winding climb up to the days modest high point of Blea Rigg.

ImageOld Shepard's/miner's shelter by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageConiston Fells from Raw Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTarn and Crinkle Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEasedale Tarn from the route up Blea Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageConiston Mono by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA distant Windemere from Blea Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We arrived at Blea Rigg with the sun hiding and a cool breeze so we found shelter and had lunch before heading down an easy grassy gully to link with the path down to Easedale Tarn. At this point I realised that I had no pics of my companions so to prove I wasn't imagining my company for the day I grabbed a sneaky shot.

ImageBlea Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlea Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMy camera shy companions by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Easedale Tarn looked beautiful in early summer colour but we didn't linger and followed the fine path down to Grasmere enjoying the fine waterfalls in Sourmilk Gill on the way down.

ImageTarn Crag above Easedale Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTarn Crag and Sourmilk Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFalls in Sourmilk Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Image...and again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOver the wall to the falls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking up Sourmilk Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

This was a nice easy family outing taking in some of the Lakes most charming landscapes. There is a sting in the tale however as regards parking. For some reason in an act of wanton abandon I parked in the main parking area at Grasmere. An attempt to pay at the time was foiled by lack of change and broken card readers on both machines but, never fear, in this age of technology you can simply pay on the companies website once you return home as I duly did. Imagine my surprise then when a demand for £30 dropped through my letterbox this morning as I am a common criminal who doesn't pay his way. I have of course lodged an appeal containing my confirmation of payment from Nochex so we will see if these incompetent muppets see sense.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Grasmere Wander

Postby dav2930 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Looked a really nice wander in a beautiful area on a lovely day; what more can one ask for? I love that approach to Silver Howe etc. from Grasmere & Easedale Tarn is one of my favourite spots in the Lakes. Another first-rate set of photos JK. May I ask what camera you use, or is that being cheeky?
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 am

dav2930 wrote:Looked a really nice wander in a beautiful area on a lovely day; what more can one ask for? I love that approach to Silver Howe etc. from Grasmere & Easedale Tarn is one of my favourite spots in the Lakes. Another first-rate set of photos JK. May I ask what camera you use, or is that being cheeky?

Thanks Dav and no it's not cheeky at all. On this day I took my Canon EOS M, which is small and light but does give DSLR quality. It's also very well built having survived a significant tumble down the slopes of Helvellyn recently. It was relatively cheep when I purchased it a few years back which can't be said for some of its successors that are serious bits of kit at a serious price.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby martin.h » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 pm

I bet that was a really enjoyable day in beautiful surroundings, lovely photos of the views we missed when we were around those parts at the beginning of March, we'll have to go back on a better day, it looks superb.
As a matter of interest, Anthony, do you use a filter on your lens to help get those lovely results or is it simply down to your expertise?
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby trailmasher » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:29 pm

That, Anthony, is a fine little wander over some great fells and a place that I never tire of re-visiting :clap: :clap: Some great shots there really advertising the area :clap: It's not like Hughie to be camera shy, was his hair a mess :lol: :lol: I sometimes walk from Silver How across to Loughrigg, down to the caves and walk back along the lakes :D

A long drive but well worth the effort 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
dav2930 wrote:Looked a really nice wander in a beautiful area on a lovely day; what more can one ask for? I love that approach to Silver Howe etc. from Grasmere & Easedale Tarn is one of my favourite spots in the Lakes. Another first-rate set of photos JK. May I ask what camera you use, or is that being cheeky?

Thanks Dav and no it's not cheeky at all. On this day I took my Canon EOS M, which is small and light but does give DSLR quality. It's also very well built having survived a significant tumble down the slopes of Helvellyn recently. It was relatively cheep when I purchased it a few years back which can't be said for some of its successors that are serious bits of kit at a serious price.

Thanks for that JK. I'll have a serious look at the Canon EOS M, it sounds like the way forward, especially if it's as robust as that!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 pm

A beautiful round on a really perfect day. As you say, “it's hard to imagine many places with as much charm as this especially on a beautiful spring day.” For sure!

The usual brilliant set of pics. I particularly liked the symmetry of "Looking down to Langdale + Youdel from Lang How", and "Coniston Mono". Everyone else was clearly equally struck by the quality of the pics, judging from the enquiries about your photographic hardware!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Good to log back in and see your super photos again, it has been a few years since I ticked off silver Howe but do remember the great views it offered to the Langdale Pikes. Lovely photos as always.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 pm

martin.h wrote:I bet that was a really enjoyable day in beautiful surroundings, lovely photos of the views we missed when we were around those parts at the beginning of March, we'll have to go back on a better day, it looks superb.
As a matter of interest, Anthony, do you use a filter on your lens to help get those lovely results or is it simply down to your expertise?

Thank you It was a lovely day Martin. Apart from a UV filter used largely as a lens protector I tend not to use filters when out in the fells mainly due to the fact I can't be bothered. I do shoot in RAW however which enables me to process the images how I want them rather than relying on the processor in the camera. Just a few minutes on each image however if I can't make it look how I want it quickly I write it off.

trailmasher wrote:That, Anthony, is a fine little wander over some great fells and a place that I never tire of re-visiting :clap: :clap: Some great shots there really advertising the area :clap: It's not like Hughie to be camera shy, was his hair a mess :lol: :lol: I sometimes walk from Silver How across to Loughrigg, down to the caves and walk back along the lakes :D

A long drive but well worth the effort 8)

Hughie only poses well when he's getting a bit tired, this wasn't enough to tire him out. You're right about this area it's indescribably beautiful. My ideal retirement venue would be Grasmere, don't think it would be possible to tire of the surrounding area, having the required money is another matter however :-( Thanks for the comments TM

dav2930 wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:

Thanks for that JK. I'll have a serious look at the Canon EOS M, it sounds like the way forward, especially if it's as robust as that!

They don't make it anymore but I'd have thought you'd get a second hand one for around £150.

Alteknacker wrote:A beautiful round on a really perfect day. As you say, “it's hard to imagine many places with as much charm as this especially on a beautiful spring day.” For sure!

The usual brilliant set of pics. I particularly liked the symmetry of "Looking down to Langdale + Youdel from Lang How", and "Coniston Mono". Everyone else was clearly equally struck by the quality of the pics, judging from the enquiries about your photographic hardware!!!

Thank you very much Alte, you are most kind and wise :-)

Sarah86 wrote:Good to log back in and see your super photos again, it has been a few years since I ticked off silver Howe but do remember the great views it offered to the Langdale Pikes. Lovely photos as always.

Thank you Sarah, great to here from you.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland