walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

SUILVEN, on the top of the world

SUILVEN, on the top of the world

Postby blueyed » Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Route description: Suilven

Fionas included on this walk: Suilven

Date walked: 07/05/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

my recent trip to assynt, just last week.
i still live the experience, i hope you will feel the enthusiasm i am about to share :)

as it usually happens in scotland: the sunniest and nicest day comes straight after the dullest and wettest one.
that day did not disappoint us at all, sometimes i actually thought it was too hot and too sunny! well, the entire day we walked against the sun, walked east in the morning and west in the afternoon. lovely ;)

there is so much i could tell about suilven! definitely this is an amazing and special mountain. although it is not a munro ('only' 731m), the day on suilven i would classify as a long and hard one. maybe because the walk starts from the sea level and you actually have to gain every metre of those 731. mind you, often when walking munros you gain less height, as you start from higher level.
suilven is full of character. his mighty silhouette is seen from everywhere in assynt, staying in lochinver we saw him every day, teasing us.

if you, like us, cant stand the idea of not climbing suilven, here are some tips:1. even if you stay in lochinver it is worth to drive to glencanisp lodge (where the track begins). believe me, on your way back you will be happy to save yourselves every possible meter of the walk. walking from lochinver to the lodge is an over 40 mins stroll.

2. if possible, take the approach shoes with you. from glencanisp lodge up to the cairn marking path off towards foot of suilven (2 hrs walk!) there is a very good and pretty dry track. easily walked in approach shoes, which you can then change for boots (and leave shoes at the cairn, collect them on your way back. unless you decide to take alternative route down). proper mountain boots will be required for the walk from the cairn to the very foot of suilven, you will have to spend about an hour trying not to sink in a neverending bog pit, swampy moorland. and then sharp up the gully.

3. there are alternative paths down, 3. you can either come back the same route you came up, take the gully down south (didnt look that bad) or walk down via eastern summit

last tip: if you're ever in assynt, tackle the suilven, IT IS A MUST DO!

beginning of the walk, just before glencanisp lodge. morning inversion in the suilven/canisp area

next 2 hours we walked along this track. tiresome!

mister :)

quanaig

path off the main track is marked with a small cairn

path up the gully.
actually there are two paths going up to the ridge. one of them goes straight up the gully, the other just on the side of the gully. we took the steeper path up. it was reasonably steep, but nothing scary. however, if you dont like too much exposure or steepness, this could be difficult already.

looking down from the gully

the gully

summit ridge

looking south towards stac pollaidh

eastern ridge of suilven (and canisp)

shortest route down! (just looks scary)

canisp

nice afternoon light

enjoy! :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: SUILVEN, on the top of the world

Postby riverlodge » Wed May 15, 2013 11:56 am

great trip, and nice tips - that first pic is just surreal, absolutely stunning.
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed May 15, 2013 1:24 pm

awesome pics and good read 8) . Myself and basscadet were in Inverie that day and spent the day on the beach and drinking beers - it was hot :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby dogplodder » Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 pm

That looks awesome - great pics! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby blueyed » Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 pm

i waited 3 days for the weather to be stable enough to walk 20km of the suilven walk. darn, it was sooooo worth it! :)
will post pics from stac pollaidh tonight ;)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Postby Mantog » Wed May 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Nice write-up. Love Suilven, been up about 4 or 5 times now, each time very different from the others but always leaves me knackered :lol:
This mountain has a 'presence', a physical 'pull' when you get near it. It also manages to still exert some kind of (mental) pull even now when I'm sat 470 miles from it!
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Postby blueyed » Wed May 15, 2013 7:26 pm

mantog , i agree!
there is something about suilven, the whole area is a little bit mystical... the wilderness, remoteness, those lonely mountains and yeah, the pull...
but the thing about suilven is that there is such choice of beautiful mountains around, but still for some reason I HAD TO walk suilven.. :wtf:
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Postby Stuart Angus » Wed May 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Cracking set of pics, crisp as they come :thumbup: ........really looking forward to seeing your Stac Pollaidh ones now :)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby blueyed » Wed May 15, 2013 9:05 pm

blueyed
Hill Bagger

Postby Premlal » Wed May 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Nice report, now I regret I haven't done it this time! Well next time I come I will try the Inverkirkaig route. I love your pic of the ridge very nice and sharp, what camera do you use?
Premlal
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby blueyed » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 am

i've got nikon d300
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Postby dooterbang » Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm

My fav area in Scotland....Stunning.

Thanks for sharing.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Some cracking photo's :D
Is there a more picturesque mountain, totally unique, every time I have driven past it, it is one of those mountains you can't stop looking in amazement at. Hopefully one day I will stop :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby peterr41 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 pm

I've viewed Suilven from afar, and titled a good photo I took 'Cloud bearing Suilven' from a line of MacColl's song 'The Joy of Living'.
A friend from Yorkshire does extremely minimalist canoeing trips via lochs, streams and strenuous portages into areas hard to reach on foot, and a couple of years ago they found themselves at the foot of Suilven. They thought it would be silly not to walk up it, so top and back in under 2 hours!
peterr41
Mountaineer

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am

Always nice to see old reports with such great photos.

peterr41 wrote:A friend from Yorkshire does extremely minimalist canoeing trips via lochs, streams and strenuous portages into areas hard to reach on foot, and a couple of years ago they found themselves at the foot of Suilven. They thought it would be silly not to walk up it, so top and back in under 2 hours!

I wonder if I know him, there are that many nutters who take canoes for walks over the mountains and I know a fair few of them...

We did exactly this 2 years ago, with kids, though our approach sure as heck isn't minimalist! Report here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59037
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland