walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mighty Mamores

Mighty Mamores

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 21/04/2017

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 2132m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This bright idea was the brainchild of Martin who is determined to increase his Munro tally and make the most of his infrequent visits north of the Border.
After umpteen messages on FB we agreed to meet up on the Friday before the WH meet, that I couldn't make due to weekend 'doggy sitting' duties :roll:
I had also posted our intentions on meets thread and George (dibs) popped up out of the woodwork and was keen to join us. As George stays in Dunfermline (just up the road from me) we arranged a meeting point and then headed west. I had arranged for us to meet up at the Glencoe Visitor Centre at 10am for a coffee, the later start was designed to miss the heavy early morning rain.
It was raining off and on but nothing too serious. We parked up in the car park close to the start and got ready for action.

Image No danger of dinging doors :lol:

My camera was in my rucksack for the start of the walk whilst the rain was drizzling down, so there are no early photo's. Having said that there isn't really anything to photograph until a fair bit of height is gained.

Image Definitely a bit more water than usual

Image Plenty of water coming off the high ground

Image Splashing uphill

Image New hydro track?

Image First stop for fuel

Image Good view ruined

Image First glimpse of Sgurr Eilde Mor

Image Looking across to Binnein Mor

Image Loch Eilde Mor in the background

Image Loch Eilde Mor & Loch Eilde Beag

Image Looking south to Glencoe

Image Schiehallion zoomed a wee bit

Image Above zoomed a bit more

Image Interesting pose :lol: :lol:

Image Sgurr Eilde Mor summit

Image Someone rushing to have his photo taken :lol:

Image Nearly there

Image Wimped out, which was understandable as it was very gusty

Image Zoomed

Image Descent off Sgurr Eilde Mor, mini version of the "great stone chute" on Skye

Image Next target Binnein Beag

After the descent of Sgurr Eilde Mor, there is quite a bit of descending down to about 600m before the long trek to the foot of Binnein Beag - which is the smallest of the Mamores. Having said that it doesn't matter what angle you look at it from it still looks an impressive little lump :lol:

Image Looking across to Binnein Mor and the long ridge that goes along to Sgurr Eilde Beag on the left

Image What is Martin pointing at?

Image Start of the ascent of Binnein Beag

Image Looking across to our next target Binnein Mor

At this point we were surveying all the ascent option of Binnein Mor, I had a couple of routes on my phone (thanks simon b for one of them), however we binned the idea of scaling BM from the east. We decided to head to the right, if you can see the 2 small patches of snow and another to the right - our plan was to ascend between the snow patches. My concern was the ridge, for obvious reasons we had no idea what the ridge was like underfoot, it was also very blustery :roll:

Image Looking back towards Sgurr Eilde Mor

Image Binnein Beag summit

Image Looking across to the Ben with it's own cloud :wink:

Image Descending off Binnein Beag

Now it was time to tackle the high point of the day, we knew it was going to be tough and guess what, it was :lol: :lol: Martin had a cunning plan to pace himself uphill, count to 50 steps on one leg, it was a good plan however the 50 was almost down to single figures as we neared the ridge :lol:

Image Looking back to Binnein Beag

Image We are going to head to the right of the 2 snow patches, it doesn't look steep but George will tell you otherwise :lol: :lol:

Image Indicates the angle of ascent

Image Waiting for the stragglers

Image Posing on the ridge in front of the Ben

Image Looking up to the summit of Binnein Mor

Image Looking back down the ridge towards the Ben

Image Looking down on the 'tiny' Binnein Beag :lol:

Image Almost on the small summit of Binnein Mor

Image Posing again - yawn, yawn

Image Final target at the end of the ridge Na Gruagaichean

Image More posing, had to hunt around for this snow :lol:

Image Great shot of the ridge up to BM

Image The ridge along to Na Gruagaichean

Image Loch Leven underneath the cloud

Image Summit of NG

Image The way down, Kinlochleven in the distance

Image The shoulder down

For anyone who hasn't been in the Mamores the descent off Na Gruagaichean is easy to start, there are a couple of useless cairns at the end of the shoulder, unless you want a suicidal descent you have to head west. There is an intermittent path so it is a matter of surveying the way down that suits your ability, our descent wasn't easy but that was purely because of the very damp grass, which certainly when descending is a recipe to end up on one's backside :lol:
My camera was back in my rucksack as it was snowing as we descended the shoulder, so here are a couple of shots off my phone :wink:

Image Looking north to Coire na ba

Image Looking down on Kinlochleven & Loch Leven

Considering the doom and gloom weather forecast we were very lucky to get views on all 4 summits, a huge thanks to both my colleagues I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did :wink: This was mine and Martin's first Munro since Gill's compleation last year. I have to say it really is a treat to walk on paths :lol:
My legs are fine today, however I can't say the same about my feet, I have friction like burns just below both ankles as a result of soaking wet feet AGAIN :( I have contacted Salomon with a view to getting my boots replaced as the stitching is coming apart and to describe the boots as waterproof is a bit of a joke :(
Next for me will be a solitary Donald - Moorbrock Hill that needs to be visited, probably next Friday 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Mighty Mamores

Postby martin.h » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Great report and photos Martin, this is one of my planned routes for this year so it gives me an invaluable insight as to what to expect and an idea of the terrain, this is really helpful. thanks :D .
It's our first trip north of the border next weekend for 3 days, Arrocher Alps the intended, if you fancy a get together, please let me know, it'll be good to meet up again :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:07 pm

That was a good read and a useful one as I'm eyeing up Binnein Mor to do with Na Gruagaichean (which I've done before but my pal hasn't and I like the look of the ridge between them).

Only downside is the descent off NG which I've read a lot of complaints about - plus remembering a steep pathless ascent when I did it! Sounds like you didn't find it too bad? 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby dibs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:01 pm

dogplodder wrote:That was a good read and a useful one as I'm eyeing up Binnein Mor to do with Na Gruagaichean (which I've done before but my pal hasn't and I like the look of the ridge between them).

Only downside is the descent off NG which I've read a lot of complaints about - plus remembering a steep pathless ascent when I did it! Sounds like you didn't find it too bad? 8)

Hi Dogplodder
While I must thank Martin for a great report and thus embarrassing me further that I have done over 8 years of Munros and no reports written, well I need to do something about that. Re the decent from NG, it wasnt pretty nor fast, very wet, steep and slippy so slow progress. I was almost tempted to put crampons on. We all had slips and tumbles, not a great exit from a hard day, but we survived. :crazy:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby dibs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:23 pm

dibs wrote:
dogplodder wrote:That was a good read and a useful one as I'm eyeing up Binnein Mor to do with Na Gruagaichean (which I've done before but my pal hasn't and I like the look of the ridge between them).

Hi Dogplodder
While I must thank Martin for a great report and thus embarrassing me further that I have done over 8 years of Munros and no reports written, well I need to do something about that. Re the decent from NG, it wasnt pretty nor fast, very wet, steep and slippy so slow progress. I was almost tempted to put crampons on. We all had slips and tumbles, not a great exit from a hard day, but we survived. :crazy:

Found a picture of one of the flat bits before another steep descent but this shows you the surface which was about 80% moss and the rest heather and grass on a near 45 degree slope, :crazy:

FILE0084.jpg
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby M4RTIN » Tue May 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Nice Report Martin, of this enjoyable little meander. :wink:
We certainly don't do things by halves.

A great day, in great weather, with great company. :thumbup:
M4RTIN
Mountain Walker

Munros:125   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:10

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland