walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr na Stri, Skye - The Best View in Britain

Sgurr na Stri, Skye - The Best View in Britain

Postby jmcsporran » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Route description: Sgùrr na Strì

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Sgùrr na Strì

Date walked: 16/04/2017

Time taken: 24 hours

Distance: 24 km

35 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

SnS Selfie 17 Apr 2017.jpg
Why We Go

I had been planning a photographic trip to Sgurr na Stri (SnS) on Skye for over two years and had made two previous attempts at it, each time being beaten back by the weather. On both those failed attempts I had tried to walk in from Kirkibost / Kilmarie (the short route), but on arrival at Camsunary Bay the river was in flood and the hill top was shrouded in cloud, so I ended up camping beside the old bothy.

I was determined not to be beaten this time and took the decision to walk in from Sligachan (the long route) when a weather window presented itself. Easter Sunday / Monday looked good and I set off from my house, arriving at Sligachan about 1500 hours. I keep telling myself that I need to reduce the weight of my pack, and never take my advice, this time I added a drone to the pack and my new tent. I stood on the scales before I left the house and groaned when it weighed 25kg (55lbs in ‘old money’). After I arrived home from this trip I critically examined everything I carried. I used everything I took on the trip, which is always depressing when planning future ‘expeditions’.

Anyway, setting off from Sligachan I made good time. Passing Lochan Dubh you get a first real glimpse up through Harta Corrie of the majesty of the Cuillins and the sights to come, with Sgurr na h-Uamha and Sgurr nan Gillean to the right, Meall Dearg to the left, and Sgurr a Mhadaidh and Sgurr a’ Ghreadaidh in the distance. To my left the sun was shining on the slopes of Ruadh Stac, but the top of Bla Bheinn was shrouded in cloud and Corrie Dubh was living up to it’s name, however the peaks of Clach Glas were visible.

Path to SNS 2.jpg
Enroute to SnS - Looking up Harta Corrie

Ruadh Stac, Corrie Dubh and Bla Bheinn.jpg
Ruadh Stac, Corrie Dubh and Bla Bheinn

Arrived at the bottom of Druim Hain after two and a half hours, not the quickest, but I kept stopping to take photographs (and ease the increasing strain on my shoulders). My torn left Achilles was holding up (so far) and my right foot (I had torn the big toenail clean off (ouch) coming down the Big Boochle about 3 weeks ago), wasn’t too bad (so far).

Druim Hain 17 April 2017 - 1.jpg
Druim Hain

Druim Hain path 17 April 2017 - 1.jpg
Drum Hain path

The path was very good, if a bit boggy in places due to overnight rain and I made it to the top to the big stone cairn (where the path divides for SnS or Loch Coruisk), at the foot of Sgurr Hain with relative ease. Taking the left fork for SnS the path becomes less visible and can frequently be lost to sight further up, if it weren’t for the previous footprints that others have left in the mud. I was becoming increasingly tired and had a stop at the bealach at the foot of Sgurr Hain (where the alternative route from Kirkibost comes up to meet the path) for a rest and some more photos. I could just make out the old bothy (beside which I previously camped) in Camasunary Bay far below. By this time, it was about 1800 hours, need to push on and get to the top of SnS for 1900 hours, find a camping place and get some photos taken before sunset.

Camasunary bothy from Druim Hain.jpg
Camasunary Bothy far below

Druim Hain stones 17 April 2017 - 1.jpg
Cairn at top of Druim Hain, left for SnS

There are various pathless paths up to the top of SnS and I took the one which seemed the most obvious, occasionally picking up on a faint path and more muddy footprints. I arrived at the top just after 1900 hours. A 4 hour slog, and I was really knackered. The small sliver of ground which I had been planning to camp at (after looking at other people’s photos) was taken by a young couple, so I found a relatively flat spot right on the cliff edge about 200 metres north from the summit cairn to pitch my tent. Priorities first though, the light was fading and I needed to take photos.
The wind had picked up and I spent an ‘awkward’ time trying to get my tent up in the wind, but eventually managed. One problem is the lack of depth to the soil on top of SnS, my tent pegs kept hitting underlying rock. I managed to peg the edges of the tent, but the guy lines were wrapped around large rocks which I positioned for the purpose. It was stable enough and I was glad of the new tent – geodesic – designed for two, three at a push, one if you’re antisocial like me. I like to spread myself. Time for coffee, beans and sausage, pasta carbonara, and chocolate – I was ravenous. Then the highlight – sitting on the cliff edge watching the light slowly fade over the Cuillins, Rum and Eigg, with a hip flask of Talisker Storm single malt whisky and a nice cigar. (On a previous post I said I always took an appropriate malt whisky on camping expeditions – what else would you take for a wild camp on a mountain in Skye but Talisker Storm?).

SNS tent 17 Apr 2017.jpg
My pitch for the night

wild camp SnS.jpg
My camp, what a view to wake up to.

SnS 17 April 2017 - 2.jpg
Moonrise over Eigg and Rum

SnS 17 April 2017 - 1.jpg
Blue Hour from Sgurr na Stri

Rain during the night pattering against the tent woke me and I feared for the dawn. But my fears were unfounded, about 0300 hours the rain stopped. I had set my alarm for 0500 hours, sunrise at 0610 hours. Up, dressed, morning coffee by 0530 hours and ready to go. Seek out the best location for the camera position, right on the cliff edge looking directly up Loch Coruisk, about 10 metres downhill from the tent.

SnS 17 April 2017 - 13.jpg
The Best view in the UK

God must have been a mountain climber and photographer in a previous life (is that possible – does it even make sense? God knows). Because the morning was spectacular. I spent 3 hours taking photos. I used the drone once. I kept getting a magnetic interference signal, the rocks on the Cullins and SnS are magnetic, which throws the drone’s compass haywire, but I managed some video and photos from the drone. But the main point to the trip was photography and I got some great shots.

SnS 17 April 2017 - 14a.jpg
Why We Go

Shadow Fortress 17 Apr 2017 - 2.jpg
The Fortress of Shadows

Loch Coruisk at 1500 feet.jpg
Loch Coruisk (drone shot)

I noticed that Snowdon in Wales was recently voted the best view in the UK, but you can take a train to the top and tens of thousands do it every year – hence the number of votes. So few people wild camp on SnS to catch the dawn sun lighting up the Cullin ridge, that it gets few votes. I have been to many spectacular locations in Scotland and the UK, but this must be one of, if not the, best viewpoint in the whole of the UK.

gillean2.jpg
Sgurr nan Gillean

gillean3.jpg
The Towers of the Teeth

SnS 17 April 2017 boat - 1.jpg
The morning boat from Elgol

I packed up at 1000 hours and began the long trudge back to Sligachan. Coming down off SnS is easier (obviously) than going up, but the trail is also clearer as you can see it more easily. By the time I was half way back I was tiring rapidly and my feet were really beginning to hurt, my Achilles was very sore and the toes of my right foot felt a bit ‘squishy’. Taking off my right boot my sock was red with blood. I decided to leave in in place, put the boot back on and struggle back to the car. Got back to the car at 1430 hours, totally spent, shoulders aching, feet more than a wee bit sore. Then the 5 hour drive back home, forgot about the Bank Holiday traffic jams. Lay in a very hot bath with glasses of red wine. Could hardly move the next day I was so stiff. Typing this a few days later, the pain is gone but the memories of a spectacular ‘expedition’ remain.

Me on SNS by Iain Macleod copy.jpg
Morning coffee with the Best View in Britain
jmcsporran
Munro compleatist

Re: Sgurr na Stri, Skye - The Best View in Britain

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Snowdon is my home turf; I must have been up there 50+ times, most recently yesterday with my grandson. And the views were indeed amazing.

But the views from SnS are simply the best: "there nis namore to seye" as the poet said.

Great stuff :clap: :clap: :clap: You got perfect weather. It was pretty fair when I was up there, but the Cuillin peaks were shrouded in mist (but one still couldn't avoid the conclusion that it was the best viewpoint on the planet!!).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mountainsofscotland » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Fantastic pics
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Stunning photos, makes the aches and pains worth it :clap:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Simply wonderful. What a place, beautifully captured.

Particularly like the shot zoomed in to Sgurr nan Gillean etc, otherworldly mountains...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:20 am

Wonderful stuff :clap: :clap:

Cannae wait to do this myself. I did have a laugh at your big pack, I tend to overpack too (would rather carry extra than need something I haven't got :lol: ) but you do really feel it!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby hopper68 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:47 am

Outstanding views and your reoprt and photography is top notch , cheers
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Great report John - love this mountain

Amazing captures :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby CJM Skye » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Great report, one of my favourite spots. Watching the sun coming up and filling the Coruisk bowl is not to be missed. Hope the aches and pains have cleared up , getting those photo shots make it worth while.
CJM Skye
Mountain Walker

Munros:61   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby denfinella » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Amazing - first photo and it just kept getting better.

There's no way that Snowdon even comes close!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby mamoset » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 am

Brilliant photo's :thumbup: :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 am

Absolutely stunning photos of amazing mountains from a special spot. I really want to go there now, it's often the wee hills next to the big ones that enjoy the best view, none more so than Sgurr na Stri. I agree, I don't think i've seen a finer viewpoint in the country. :clap: :clap: :clap:

In that last photo you could be wearing a Hobbit outfit and not look out of place! :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Can't really disagree on your title with the views you managed to capture :clap:
Love the campspot too.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Jay Tee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:40 pm

great pics. Do you know if it's possible to Mountain bike the long walk in section from Sligachan? thanks
Jay Tee
Mountaineer

Postby Alasdair19 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Wow,,,always think of the peaks on Skye...but your photos are amazing.Might have to have a rethink next time I'm on Skye,as to where to go..Thanks for posting. Your photos have just made me go wow :D
Alasdair19
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   

35 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland