walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two vegans up Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

Two vegans up Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

Postby Chloeeh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 22/04/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1277m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Feel free to watch the youtube video of our climb above ^^

Because of work and uni we haven't been out on the hills since January so this day out was much needed. We got up at 5:30am and did the long 3 hour drive down to Loch an Daimh. The weather was supposed to be partly cloudy but as we arrived it was lightly snowing, though it wasn't cold enough for it to settle on the ground.

The going was tough after sitting in the car for hours but we started gaining height very quickly.

Having some snacks looking back from where we came.

View across to Stuchd an Lochain, the second munro of the day.

Walking round the horse shoe shape of Meall Buidhe, still some snow left!

At the top! A bit of an underwhelming cairn but nice views all around. We were able to see across to Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg that we did last summer.

Climbing up boulders on the way down!

On our way up Stuchd an Lochain, energy is waning at this point.

Standing over the edge looking down to the lochain.

Awkward victory poses galore.

Was a bit of a sketchy descent due to a rough path and lots of mud but we made it down and went for a nice meal in Aberfeldy before driving 3 hours back up home!

A nice day out and another 2 ticked off the list. :clap:
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Munros:40   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Two vegans up Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

Postby Coop » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:53 pm

?
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Chloeeh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 pm

RTC wrote:Nice report and photos. - But I can't see the point of announcing to the world that you are vegans. It makes as much sense as me writing a report entitled "One Gregg's pie eater up Dumyat."

Thanks, but do you only eat Gregg's pies? :lol: I'm trying to promote a healthy lifestyle, as well as showing the beautiful scenery Scotland has to offer.
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Postby Chloeeh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Coop wrote:?

?? :lol: 8)
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Postby teaandpies » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 pm

RTC wrote:Nice report and photos. - But I can't see the point of announcing to the world that you are vegans. It makes as much sense as me writing a report entitled "One Gregg's pie eater up Dumyat."

I was also going to question the Vegan thing. It's weird how vegans always like to announce the fact to anybody that'll listen. Nobody cares.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 am

Good video and pics. You might be fighting a losing battle with the healthy lifestyle thing though.
Most hill people are alcoholics who live on junk food.................. or is that just me? :shock:

PS is Mr Spock the most famous Vegan ever? :D
Sunset tripper

Postby J888ohn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:52 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Good video and pics. You might be fighting a losing battle with the healthy lifestyle thing though.
Most hill people are alcoholics who live on junk food.................. or is that just me? :shock:

The amount of calories you burn hill walking I think far outweighs the alcohol and junk food intake Sunset Tripper! :lol: :lol: Don't understand the whole broadcast I'm a vegan thing either. As for healthy lifestyle bit, I'm perfectly healthy on a carnivorous diet and don't like the whole "vegan is the healthy way" thing. Medium rare steak never did anyone any harm :wink:
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am

What do you wear on your feet? The bit of the video at about 4:50 appears to show boots that are quite leathery-looking, but presumably that's just a blurring thing with the motion and they're actually man-made plasticky boots.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby teaandpies » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Dave Hewitt wrote:What do you wear on your feet? The bit of the video at about 4:50 appears to show boots that are quite leathery-looking, but presumably that's just a blurring thing with the motion and they're actually man-made plasticky boots.

Even if it's not a leather boot the glue that holds them together may not be vegan.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Chloeeh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 pm

teaandpies wrote:

I was also going to question the Vegan thing. It's weird how vegans always like to announce the fact to anybody that'll listen. Nobody cares.

Funny you're against me saying I'm vegan and broadcasting what I eat when your user name is "Tea and Pies" :lol:
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Postby Chloeeh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Dave Hewitt wrote:What do you wear on your feet? The bit of the video at about 4:50 appears to show boots that are quite leathery-looking, but presumably that's just a blurring thing with the motion and they're actually man-made plasticky boots.

These are very old boots that I bought and used before I was vegan, they are in fact leather. I decided that throwing them out would be a waste of money, and a waste of the animal as well if I'm perfectly honest. I try to make the best choices I can, if that means I'm not always 100% perfect then so be it.
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Postby Chloeeh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Good video and pics. You might be fighting a losing battle with the healthy lifestyle thing though.

Thanks! Haha probably, plus I still eat vegan cakes which aren't the healthiest option either if I'm being honest. As long as we're all out enjoying the hills who cares anyway.

Mr Spock is our prophet :lol:
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Postby Chloeeh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:07 pm

J888ohn wrote:

The amount of calories you burn hill walking I think far outweighs the alcohol and junk food intake Sunset Tripper! :lol: :lol: Don't understand the whole broadcast I'm a vegan thing either. As for healthy lifestyle bit, I'm perfectly healthy on a carnivorous diet and don't like the whole "vegan is the healthy way" thing. Medium rare steak never did anyone any harm :wink:

I used the word "vegan" once in the title... I don't think that quite defines broadcasting it but thanks for your input :lol: You're free to eat whatever you want to but sorry to burst your bubble on the steak... https://www.wcrf-uk.org/uk/preventing-c ... essed-meat
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Steady on folks! Please don't let the normally very high standards of politeness on WH start to slip....
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby hull1270 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:21 pm

What route did you take to bag these Chloeeh?
hull1270
Munro compleatist

Munros:278   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland