walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bum-shuffling on some windy Donalds

Bum-shuffling on some windy Donalds

Postby Jaxter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Ballencleuch Law, Queensberry

Donalds included on this walk: Ballencleuch Law, Comb Law, Earncraig Hill, Gana Hill, Queensberry, Scaw'd Law, Wedder Law

Date walked: 11/04/2017

Time taken: 7.4 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1635m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Pretty sure Monday was a better day, but it was the obligatory “knee rest day” after a big cycle on Sunday, so Tuesday it was. I couldn’t be bothered getting up very early, but with the longer days it didn’t really matter. After an uneventful drive I arrived at the car parking area (or it may have been an oversized passing place) just short of Kirkhope Cleuch and started walking shortly after 10.

I followed a muddy track just before the gate but soon cut through and across the wall and fence as the walking looked easier there. It was more exposed here and the wind was whipping up a storm. I could feel moisture in the air and before long I stopped to add waterproofs. I squished my way through some bogs and across a fence or two and began the climb up to Comb Law, following the fence posts all the way to the unmarked summit.

Looking back it was wet and windy

Comb Law summit

It was very windy (too windy for posing) but I could at least see the way ahead for now. My second summit looked a long way away :lol:

Ahead to Ballencleuch Law

Onwards, I followed the fenceposts over Hirstane Rig, through bog and up to Ballencleuch Law. All the way along it was insanely windy and I was battling against it and trying to hang onto my hat. This summit was at least sort of marked but it was way too blowy to risk my camera for a pose :lol: It had at least stopped raining.

Sort of cairn…

Summit 2

Looking ahead to Skaw’d Law

Lowther Hill and friends

From here it was an easy but windy trek to Scaw’d Law, yet again unmarked and seemingly with 2 different options for summits. I visited them both and decided to push on. It was not a day for hanging around. I was also thinking about escape routes as this was definitely Type 2 fun and I wasn’t sure if I could be bothered with spending many more hours being blown around :crazy:

Number 3

Wedder Law ahead

Another easy plod to my next summit, Wedder Law. The advantage of changing direction was a bit of respite from the wind. But all too soon I was at the summit, and being blown around again.

From here it was easy again to Gana Hill. I could see a track heading up it but figured the direct route would be quicker as I’d have to bog hop to get to the track :lol: It was quite steep but arriving at the summit ridge I was greeted by an actual cairn :shock: and a wind shelter. It wasn’t the actual summit (that was further along) but I utilised the wind shelter for a cheeky pose at last :thumbup:

Looking down towards the reservoir

Earncraig Hill and Queensberry

After visiting the actual summit of Gana Hill, marked by a less impressive cairn, it was a simple case of following more fenceposts across a boggy bealach (there was an ATV track which seemed to be boggier than the actual bog :lol: ) and then following a vague path up the steep side of Earncraig Hill, weaving around the crags. I climbed over a barbed wire fence to get to the summit although turned out there was a more easily climbable fence further round that wasn’t visible at the time.

Looking back to Gana Hill

Summit 6

From here, Queensberry didn’t look too far away but unfortunately due to geology and lack of wings I had to take the long way round :lol:

I followed fenceposts down Berry Rig before dropping down to Capel Yetts across bogs and peat hags. The reason for the diversion…

From here it was a steep climb up Penbreck, a lot of peat hags to cross and then a climb up Queensberry Shoulder…

….to the summit where I was brutally attacked by the full force of the wind :shock: I dumped my stuff in the wind shelter and made the final climb up the huge cairn on my hands and knees. I attempted to stand and was nearly blown over :shock: I retreated back to my belongings on my backside and sheltered from the wind for a few minutes.

Shelter for a pose…

Lowther Hill and pals

Some serious wind power

Today’s route

Lowther Hill’s distinctive radio tower

It was a case of retracing my steps to Capel Yetts, before climbing back up to the North Ridge of Earncraig Hill.

Looking back up to Earncraig Hill

Gana Hill and Wedder Law

Previous users of this route have dropped down the other side, crossed the river and enjoyed a nice easy walk out along the track all the way down the valley. I thought a stroll down the ridge might be nicer (plus I have a fear of river crossings :lol: ) so walked over Lamb Hill, Over Law and Nether Law before dropping down to Crookburn, borrowing their bridge and walking back along the road to the car arriving back just before 6.

The reservoir from Over Law

Looking back

Sunny reservoir

Guard sheep

Looking up the Kirkhope burn towards Comb Law

activity_1671625581.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was an easy drive home, and whilst stopping to feed Blondie I discovered cookie and cream flavoured KitKats. Day made :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Bum-shuffling on some windy Donalds

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:42 pm

That's a pretty speedy round - you were clearly blown in the right direction the entire way :D .

BTW I have competition for the Ballencleuch cairn....

20170402_123709 Pen yr Allt Uchaf.jpg
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Pleased to see you've developed a streamlined version of the pose, just don't try it with a baggy top on or you might take off....

Didn't know these hills, only ever passed them at 70 (honest) on the motorway. Thanks for enlightening me. :D
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am

Alteknacker wrote:That's a pretty speedy round - you were clearly blown in the right direction the entire way :D .

BTW I have competition for the Ballencleuch cairn....

20170402_123709 Pen yr Allt Uchaf.jpg

It was too cold to stand still!! I think your cairn wins, where is that one?

Mal Grey wrote:Pleased to see you've developed a streamlined version of the pose, just don't try it with a baggy top on or you might take off....

Didn't know these hills, only ever passed them at 70 (honest) on the motorway. Thanks for enlightening me. :D

:lol: they're good because it's a shorter drive, although there are those horrible roadworks around Hamilton to contend with :?
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Jaxter wrote:..... I think your cairn wins, where is that one?

It's a Hewitt in Southern Snowdonia (it features in the WR I did of an outing in the Arans).

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=71087

I'd never seen anything quite so odd before...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
Jaxter wrote:..... I think your cairn wins, where is that one?

It's a Hewitt in Southern Snowdonia (it features in the WR I did of an outing in the Arans).

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=71087

I'd never seen anything quite so odd before...

There's a similar one on Hillshaw Head.... :shock: they're strange cairns :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland