walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a' Phubuill and Meall Onfhaidh from Glensulaig

Meall a' Phubuill and Meall Onfhaidh from Glensulaig

Postby Yorjick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Phùbuill

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Onfhaidh

Date walked: 21/04/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 885m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is a good track almost all the way to the door of Glen Sulaig Cottage. This allowed me to cycle out from Fassern, firstly to transport 10kg of coal and kiln dried silver birch logs and then return for my sleeping and walking gear. I had a fine fire going by the time Alan and later Malky arrived. Clearing out the hearth first and using dry wood meant that little effort was required to keep the fire going, just occasionally adding another log or a little coal.

DSCF4847.JPG
Glen Sulaig Cottage

Steve Alan Malky.jpg
Photo courtesy of Mountainstar

It was a wet and windy night but the forecast was for the weather to clear during the following day. I had plenty of time, so it was about 10:00 AM when I set off up the hill.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There is a bridge across the Allt Coire nan Laogh near to the bothy, but I made my way up the faint path heading away from the back of the bothy towards the track that heads for Gleann Fionnlighe. The overnight rain had raised the level of the burn so I was glad to find a bridge higher up. The bad weather was still clearing, so few photographs were taken as rain soon wetted the lens resulting in blurry images. At the summit of Meall a'Phubuill, I tried to take a decent selfie but with limited success. Therefore they are not published here.

DSCF4861.JPG
Bridge

DSCF4867.JPG
Meall a'Phubuill summit cairn

The descent off Meall a'Phubuill was steep and the wet grass was slippery, so progress to the bealach was slow. Gulvain was clearing and my next objective, Meall Onfhaidh was well clear of cloud.

DSCF4879.jpg
Meall Onfhaidh

Lower down ​Meall a'Phubuill, I heard a sound in the grass and was quick enough to catch this common lizard, Lacerta Zootica vivipara. The last time I caught one was on Beinn Tharsuinn but I failed to obtain a decent photograph before it escaped and scurried through the vegetation. This time, I held it gently for some time before opening my hand and allowing it to run up my arm. Perhaps it was resigned to being caught or perhaps its metabolism was still slow in the cool spring temperatures. It would probably have made a better photo had I walked 10-15 metres to a large boulder, but I am still pleased with these results.

From wildlifetrusts.org​: The common lizard is the UK’s most common and widespread reptile. It is the only reptile native to Ireland. It is found across many habitats including heathland, moorland, woodland and grassland where it can be seen basking in sunny spots. Also known as the viviparous lizard, the species is unusual among reptiles for ‘giving birth’ to live young rather than laying eggs.

DSCF2729.JPG
Common Lizard

DSCF2740.JPG
Common Lizard

The route up Meall Onfhaidh was steep but I was soon on ground of an easier gradient.

DSCF4887.jpg
Looking back with Gulvain (or Gaor Bheinn) left and Meall a'Phubuill right.

DSCF4896.jpg
Meall a'Phubuill and Glen Loy.

DSCF4911.JPG
Summit of Meall Onfhaidh.

DSCF4918.JPG
There were still showers . . . . but the upside was this rainbow.

DSCF4923.jpg
Gulvain and Meall a'Phubuill.

DSCF4929.jpg
Upper Gleann Suileag (bothy just visible) and the Graham, Druim Fada.

DSCF4931.JPG
Looking down to Glen Sulaig Cottage.

Still in no hurry, I ate a late lunch of noodles and tuna, before packing up my kit and heading off back to the car at Fassfern.

DSCF4942.JPG
SWISSBIKE
Last edited by Yorjick on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Meall a' Phubuill and Meall Onfhaidh from Glensulaig

Postby malky_c » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Glad I didn't get onto the hills before lunchtime - it was worth the wait. But you seem to have had mostly ok weather up there. Cheers for getting the fire on too - didn't have to light a single fire over the course of 4 bothies 8) (takes me ages- I'm rubbish at it).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland