walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Oh, such a perfect day

Oh, such a perfect day

Postby Coop » Wed May 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 03/05/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1676m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A fine morning as I walked past the "danger of death" sign :shock:
Nice path down to the wire rope bridge. I could have walked over the stream but there was no way I wasn't going over bridge.
On and across the boulders at the waterfall. Wouldn't like to cross them in the rain or if the waterfall was pouring more water down.
Across the boulders and manouvered through the boggy patch. Left leg in up to my knee in bog!!.
Onto the good stalkers path up and across to the zig zag All the way to the summit of an gearanach; tremendous views. 2 lads not far behind me but I plodded on to No.2 over the wee arete carefully. I enjoyed this part. Onto no. 2 where I waited for the other 2 lads- fae embra. Few pics were taken views taken in, and the route round was surveyed.
Walked with the lads to no.3 where we met another lad who had taken a detour of the WHW to bag this one.
He set off and the other lads set off.
I stayed for a bit and then headed for no.4. Another good wee ridge either go left or right at the obvious point on the ridge. Don't think it made any odds. I went left and up over a bit of slab. On up to the large cairn on sgurr a mhaim.
Whoever left the large message in small stones on the grass- it's still there!!
Down it was then, through a lot of scree but the path is there ok. I'd had a look on the map and realised there should be a fence line which I could follow when I neared the bottom and this would take me to the bridge over the water of Nevis.
Had to scale the fence though.
Going this way cut off about a mile along the tarmac road. Reached the bustling car park and tourists all taking pics of the wee sign. If only they walked x long a bit further they'd see the wire bridge and waterfall.

Fantastic day, great weather
Met some good people.
Fantastic views.
Cap doffed to all 4 on The Ring of Steall
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland