walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon 4 circuit

Glen Lyon 4 circuit

Postby U059361 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 04/05/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1302m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The first part of the walk is the worst, getting a parking space, if you don't it's a long walk back from the next available parking. It doesn't matter which side you pass the lint mill, both paths end up at the same gate. Then there is negotiating the path through the felled tree debris which covers the track and out the next gate. You don't need to go on the hydro road as there is a new graded path beside the deer fence although they both end up at the same bridge over a stream before the footbridge the path takes. That way is way marked by the green and yellow posts. It is quite interesting as it isn't fixed and rocks with each step and one of the wood panels you have to walk on has broken, certainly woke me up going over it.
Once on the footpath, it is simply a case of following it around. I found the climb up Carn Gorm the worst part of the day and once that was over I managed to enjoy most of the rest of the walk despite the strong wind. I had been blown up Carn Gorm but had to walk into it over to Carn Mairg.
ImageView back down into Glen Lyon, Carn Gorm by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCarn Gorm top over to Ben Nevis by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCarn Gorm view of other 3 munros by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageMeall Garbh fencepost pile by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLooking back to Meall Garbh by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Stopped at Meall a'Bharr for lunch as there was good shelter behind rocks here. The sun is warm out of the wind and I can feel it on my face now.
ImageMeall a'Bharr over to Carn Gorm by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageMeall a'Bharr view of Carn Mairg and Schiehallion by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCarn Mairg summit with Schiehallion by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCarn Mairg tor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Took the scramble over the tor to get the view.
ImageView from Carn Mairg tor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCarn Mairg and Carn Gorm by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageView from Creag Mhor or Meall na Aighean by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Once off Meall na Aighean you start to appreciate how high you are as the drop back down to the road takes ages and my legs were feeling it by the time I reached it.
ImageCarn Gorm and Meall Garbh from descent ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageGlen Lyon from descent ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Relieved to be back walking normally back to the car. I had managed to walk it in 6.5 hours. Still time to vote and go and greet guests coming to stay, busy busy.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Glen Lyon 4 circuit

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Nice photos there, thanks for sharing.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland