walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Elegant

Beinn Elegant

Postby jacob » Sun May 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 02/05/2017

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well ofcourse, everything's elegant after two cold, spiky, here and there a tat dangerous, long and boggy walks.
(https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71974 & https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71991)
But even without those parameters Beinn Alligin is a great and interesting walk, even more so than it's silhouet from the roadside suggests. I was happy enough to apparantly still have some brownie points after formentioned two adventures. Plus the day was excellent for it, perfect weather but with an early start we were still the only two people on this mountain untill the second summit. Hot sun, lights breeze, fantastic views but a little ache in my heart knowing this will be the last Scottish mountain for another year. :(

SAM_0019 (2).jpg
The walk starts on an excellent path with immediate great views backwards on Loch Torridon.

SAM_0035 (3).jpg
As soon as your over a big hump with no apparant name on the map, the views on the complete mountain open up.

SAM_0045 (3).jpg
The well laid path continues to join a stream Alltan Glas into Coire nan Laogh. A walkreport by Bobmcbob described a scramble onto Tom na Gruagaich, but we skipped that after the dissapointing offtrack adventure on An Teallach.

SAM_0046 (2).jpg
Some impressive walls on your left hand side

SAM_0051 (3).jpg
Looking back at the corrie, the mrs just right of the big boulder

SAM_0056 (2).jpg
With higher up still some patches of snow, despite the hot sun of the last few days

SAM_0058 (2).jpg
Higher up you arrive at a wide and fairly level boulderfield. The summit is to your right.
Here's the mrs with Beinn Damh in the background.

SAM_0062 (2).jpg
The summit proved to be a fantastic viewpoint in really al directions, although the second summit, the three horns and the view on Torridon demand most attention.

SAM_0063 (3).jpg
Thanks to the good weather we really took our time having a snack and drinking in the views.

SAM_0082 (2).jpg
Then on we go. This is me descending from Tom na Gruagaich onto the ridge between the two summits.

SAM_0087 (2).jpg
Halfway the ridge there's a little bump you can either cross or walk around behind. We chose the latter.

SAM_0089 (3).jpg
Still on the ridge

SAM_0091.jpg
And then it's up again. Not too steep though. Traversing some more leftover patches of snow.

SAM_0092 (2).jpg
Melting snow

SAM_0106 (3).jpg
And on goes the climb

SAM_0109 (2).jpg
View on Torridon from in between the cleft near the summit of Sgurr Mor

SAM_0120 (2).jpg
From the summit of Sgurr Mor you get the first good glimpse of the horns. From here, the climb onto the first horn looks terribly scary.

SAM_0123 (2).jpg
So we'll have our confidence building picnic first.

SAM_0135 (4).jpg
Then it's downhill for the first pinnacle

SAM_0136 (2).jpg
The ridge towards it. The way up still doesn't look any easier at all.

SAM_0150 (2).jpg
But before you know it you're on the first horn. No dangerous nor difficult scrambling, no vertigo inducing moments. Just wonderful views all along.

SAM_0162 (2).jpg
The mrs on the second horn

SAM_0165 (2).jpg
Views from in between 2nd and 3rd horn towards Beinn Dearg and Liathach

From the 3rd horn it's downhill on a clear but steep path, descending the terrace southflank of Sgurr Mor. In the Abhainn Coire Mhic Nobuil I took my time for a refreshing skinny dip, but for viewers discretion (or is it because I already posted the maximum of 25 photos?) I won't post any proof of that. Just a classic view from close to the carpark

SAM_0192 (2).jpg
Last edited by jacob on Mon May 08, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Beinn Elegant

Postby Mal Grey » Sun May 07, 2017 7:39 pm

One of the very best hills, the combination of mountain and sea views is fantastic.

Seems you had an excellent trip this year, hopefully the memory of it will keep you going until the next one.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BobMcBob » Sun May 07, 2017 8:13 pm

Well! I was only a few miles away from you across Loch Torridon, sunbathing in Shieldaig :D

I find it amusing that a man who considered doing chockstone gully in the snow thinks the Horns of Alligin look scary :D

If I'm honest I think you saved the best mountain till last on this trip.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby jacob » Mon May 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Mal Grey wrote:One of the very best hills, the combination of mountain and sea views is fantastic.

Seems you had an excellent trip this year, hopefully the memory of it will keep you going until the next one.

It's been fantastic, that's for sure. But a year is long when you're living in the Flatlands :(

BobMcBob wrote:Well! I was only a few miles away from you across Loch Torridon, sunbathing in Shieldaig :D

I find it amusing that a man who considered doing chockstone gully in the snow thinks the Horns of Alligin look scary :D

If I'm honest I think you saved the best mountain till last on this trip.

That's funny, cos it was on one of the summits that I thought I'd like to meet an active WHer.
Well, and scary....it's all between the ears isn't it. Expectations is all that matters. I came fully prepared to chockstone gully, which is comforting.
And I saw a very steep ascent onto the first ridge when I understood it's nothing more than an easy scramble. I quess that makes all the difference.
I can't say if it's the best: it's difficult to compare when the conditions where so much different on An Teallach. I can say I have very very good memories to this day and this mountain.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland