walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue revisited

Ben Venue revisited

Postby Hillbeback » Tue May 09, 2017 9:44 am

Route description: Ben Venue from Ledard Farm

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 03/05/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11.25 km

Ascent: 742m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At long last, my 2nd walk report. It's been just over a year and a half since my 1st report however between that time l have been able and well enough to do quite a few walks, some hills and some general low level walks. We had a super day on Buachaille Etive Beag in March 2016 and I did a solo walk (with Shane my four legged friend) up Beinn a Chrulaiste in May 2016. This was a confidence booster for me and a major step forward in my recovery from ME
I had climbed Ben Venue many years ago so on the whole l knew what to expect. With the weather being dry for so long l knew it wouldn't be as boggy as it usually can be which proved to be a bonus. My friend Robert, his dog Shane and myself were looking forward to a lovely day out in the tranquil surroundings in near perfect weather conditions. We parked up at the layby at around 11.15 and got booted and kitted up and on our way.

IMG_3920 (640x427).jpg
Off we go

Walking up past the farm it was time for an "Awww"

IMG_3923 (640x427).jpg
Wee Cutie

We noticed after going through the gate and over the bridge just how low the water level was. I remember from doing this hill before that all you could hear was gushing water but not today. We made our way up though the wooded area. It was quite pretty, especially in the sunshine. The wild primroses added a bit of colour.

IMG_3925 (640x427).jpg
Pretty flowers

Soon we were out on the open hillside. It was rather warm as we were sheltered from the chilly east wind. We walked at a nice easy pace as my days of going any quicker are long gone. Anyway "what's the rush" I hear you say.The hill was relatively quiet and for the first stretch we had the place to ourselves.

20170503121647 (640x480).jpg
Not a sole to be seen

We saw that Shane was panting so before we crossed the stream to go over the stile we let him have a cool down.

IMG_3935 (640x427).jpg
Aahh that's better!!

Not long after crossing the stile as we headed up we met two (middle aged) guys on their way down. They did say that they read the Walkhighlands reports but have never posted anything. They said they would look out for mine and l was to say two young men but sorry guys l had to be honest!! I was starting to realise that the distance of the walk up was a bit more than l had remembered. Eventually Ben Venue came into view so we stopped for a cuppa and a quick bite to eat before continuing on.

As we started the climb up the hill Ben Lomond and the Arrochar hills came into view.

IMG_3938 (640x427).jpg
Ben Lomond and The Cobbler in the background

Also looking across Loch Katrine to the Crianlarich hills.

IMG_3937 (640x427).jpg
Ben More, Stob Binnein etc

I had also forgot just how many ups and downs there were before we would finally reach the summit. We met an lovely woman from Errol, Perthshire who assured us at that point we were about half an hour from the top. We had a blether with her for ten minutes then set off once again and finally we got there. It had taken us three hours however that would seem to be the norm.

The views from the top were quite breathtaking. There were a handful of people who had walked up from Loch Achray that were sitting at the top but it was still so peaceful.

IMG_3948 (640x427).jpg
Ben Lui to the left with a patch of snow and the Crianlarich hills

20170503151512 (640x480).jpg
East to Loch Achray, Loch Venacher and Ben Ledi

IMG_3941 (640x427).jpg
At last

And so after successfully reaching the summit, although we realised the west summit is a few metres higher and however near it was, l didn't have anymore energy left. In the end it didn't really matter.

IMG_3944 (640x427).jpg
There's always one appears

IMG_3949 (640x427).jpg
Robert feeling the heat on the way down

Because the water levels were so low the waterfalls weren't so dramatic however l thought the rocks were quite unusual.

IMG_3951 (640x427).jpg
Rocks

IMG_3932 (640x427).jpg
More amazing sculptures

We got back to the car about 5.30. it was a lovely evening and some little babies were already asleep.

IMG_3953 (640x427).jpg
Time for bed

Not the most exciting report however it's good being able to share a part of my success story in recovering from ME. I do still have to tread carefully and be sensible but being able to do a little hillwalking again is beyond what l never imagined would be possible. We are so lucky to have these beautiful mountains in Scotland just waiting to be climbed and hopefully on any future walks l will meet some of the WH fellow walkers. Reading many of the excellent reports has been a contributing factor for giving me the inspiration to get out into the hills again :thumbup:
Attachments

Ben Venue 3rd May 2017.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Ben Venue revisited

Postby SpamFritter » Tue May 30, 2017 3:48 pm

Well done you. My Mum had ME for many years and I can't imagine her getting up Ben Venue so you should be proud :clap:
The Ledard route is pretty steep as well - not such a gentle route as loch Achray!
SpamFritter
Ambler

Munros:59   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   Islands:34

Postby Hillbeback » Tue May 30, 2017 5:37 pm

SpamFritter wrote:Well done you. My Mum had ME for many years and I can't imagine her getting up Ben Venue so you should be proud :clap:
The Ledard route is pretty steep as well - not such a gentle route as loch Achray!

Thanks SpamFritter. I've lived with ME for about 10years however now l am on a much better level. I never thought climbing hills would ever be within my capabilities again. Hoping this continues and it's onwards and upwards. Hope your mum is not too bad living with the condition. :thumbup:
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:19 pm

An inspiring report on recovery from ME - and some great photos!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland