walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fiskavaig to Talisker Bay to Geodh a' Mhadaidh

Fiskavaig to Talisker Bay to Geodh a' Mhadaidh

Postby litljortindan » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Route description: Fiskavaig coast, from Talisker

Date walked: 08/05/2017

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 200m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ImageDSCN8940 by John Little, on Flickr
Quite a level and easy track from the Fiskavaig road to Talisker Bay

ImageDSCN8947 by John Little, on Flickr
Not my favourite sort of weather -bright and sunny but preferred my more gloomy visit here last October

ImageDSCN8959 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8961 by John Little, on Flickr
But the long shadows add to the scene

ImageDSCN8962 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8963 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8964 by John Little, on Flickr
Rum peeking out on the right there

ImageDSCN8966 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8968 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8972 by John Little, on Flickr
MacLeod's Maidens just visible

ImageDSCN8978 by John Little, on Flickr
Not bad going up to this point, as I pretty much knew, but the need to cut a corner to save time led us over some pretty rough ground hereafter

ImageDSCN8986 by John Little, on Flickr
Maidens again

ImageDSCN8987 by John Little, on Flickr
Ok, so sunny weather can produce a nice sunset sometimes -prefer a bit of cloud with it though

ImageDSCN8990 by John Little, on Flickr
A happy one day after my 50th birthday -wife not quite so happy with all the bog trotting though; mind you it was me that went into the only actual sinky bit we encountered

ImageDSCN8991 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8994 by John Little, on Flickr
Good views north tempered by wet leg

Quite a battle getting round Geodh a' Mhadaidh. Maybe should have aimed for closer to the coast but quite steep sided and Jill's not so happy on steep ground so went the whole hog up and out through character building thickets of small trees. A couple of unwelcome barbed wire crossings ensued and we were met near the roadside by an amused crofter who jokingly asked what we were doing on her land.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Fiskavaig to Talisker Bay to Geodh a' Mhadaidh

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 12, 2017 10:08 am

Another reminder of how amazing Skye is. Not only does it have the most spectacular mountains in Scotland, but also some of the best coastlines too...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby litljortindan » Sun May 14, 2017 11:34 am

Mal Grey wrote:Another reminder of how amazing Skye is. Not only does it have the most spectacular mountains in Scotland, but also some of the best coastlines too...

Yes, a lot of good cliff-top walking to be had there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby malky_c » Sat May 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Definitely worth a look :) . I have some vague backpacking plans starting around Fiskivaig and going to Broadford via Coruisk and Elgol, but it looks like the key is to skip some of the summits (which look a bit boggy) and stick to the cliff tops.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby litljortindan » Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 pm

malky_c wrote:Definitely worth a look :) . I have some vague backpacking plans starting around Fiskivaig and going to Broadford via Coruisk and Elgol, but it looks like the key is to skip some of the summits (which look a bit boggy) and stick to the cliff tops.

That would be some trip.
I can see now on bing maps all the terrain between Fiskavaig and Talisker that isn't depicted on the 1:50000 OS map. I don't possess a smart phone so didn't anticipate the knobbliness and squelchiness of the route I dragged my screaming wife across. Maybe I should invest in a new phone (or research a bit better!).
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Have stayed in Portnalong in the past and did some exploring but don't think I made it this far west - definitely worth a look and spending some time over there

litljortindan wrote:Not my favourite sort of weather -bright and sunny but preferred my more gloomy visit here last October.
:shock: :eh: can't be many who'd say this about the Skye weather :wink: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 pm

rockhopper wrote:Have stayed in Portnalong in the past and did some exploring but don't think I made it this far west - definitely worth a look and spending some time over there

litljortindan wrote:Not my favourite sort of weather -bright and sunny but preferred my more gloomy visit here last October.
:shock: :eh: can't be many who'd say this about the Skye weather :wink: :wink: - cheers :)

In this area the walk I enjoyed most was last year over the cliff tops south of Talisker Bay. This walk was good too but a bit rough after half way.
Yes, blue sky over-rated but I'll put up with it if I really must.
litljortindan
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland