walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Just Another Moidart Monday

Just Another Moidart Monday

Postby Jaxter » Thu May 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Route description: Rois-Bheinn round, Inverailort

Corbetts included on this walk: An Stac, Rois-Bheinn, Sgùrr na Ba Glaise

Date walked: 08/05/2017

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1800m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Anyone who says climbing Corbetts is easy has either never climbed one or is a liar :lol: Every Corbett I've climbed so far has been hard work. Which leads me to a revelation I had today, but more about that later :wink:

Due to a switch over of hours I had ended up with a free Monday and Tuesday which was especially welcome because I had missed out on the bulk of the good weather thanks to working and knee issues. But it looked like my luck was to turn :D Plans were made and things were packed, but then thanks to a tip off I discovered that the A82 would be closed at Bridge of Orchy from 9pm-7am...this screwed with my plans significantly. Maps were studied and plans altered :crazy:

And so it was that my alarm went off at 3.30...2.5 hours sleep was all I was getting :shock: Into the car and off I went. The "long way round" up the A9 and via Laggan was actually only 25 miles further than the diversion through Connel but it felt long, as if I was going in the wrong direction, which I was! As I drove over the Drumochter pass and made the turn off to Dalwhinnie it was spitting with rain and there were plenty of tops in clag. But it all got better the further West I got (obviously :wink: )

Even the Ben was clear – as good an omen as anything!

I was beating Google so figured I'd better stop for some photos :lol: Loch Eilt

And finally I arrived at the parking area. It was quite windy but the sky was blue and I was in Moidart 8)

I set off along the road towards the cottages, took the grassy track and passed through the gates. I had a choice of a hydro track or a boggy path...wasn't likely to be very boggy after the recent weather so it was a no brainier. It was a bonny wee path with a couple of squidgy bits but it was easy to see how it could be very wet! Coming out the top of the path I reached the hydro track but I barely noticed, I was blown away by the mountains ahead of me. This part of Scotland is AWESOME!

I followed the track a short distance before branching off (too early as it turned out and I had to bushwhack way across some hummocks) and eventually meeting the bridge. It was an impressive gorge and although the bridge moved :shock: I was very glad it was there!

An Stac

Meall Damh – the route ahead :shock:

Across the bridge I followed an ATV track for a while before striking off uphill. It wasn't much after 9 but it was already baking hot and I could tell that this was going to be tough. Taking my time, I headed towards the steep pull up Meall Damh and gradually meandered my way up. There were smatterings of path and it was nowhere near as bad as I'd expected. It didn't hurt that the views were fabulous either.

The views open out – Sgurr na Ba Glaise, Rois-Bheinn & An Stac

Meall Damh cracked, I headed more directly up the steep rocky ridge onto Druim Fiaclach. Although this isn't a summit in its own right it was an absolutely fabulous viewpoint, and in terms of effort required to reach it, it fully deserved the cairn on top :lol:

The 3 Corbetts from Druim Fiaclach

I felt wonderfully alone as I stood admiring the 3 Corbetts ahead of me, the views out to the islands and back inland towards Ben Nevis with a wee cap of snow. It was very tempting to dawdle and I spent some time taking it all in.

An Stac with Eigg & Rum behind

Meall Damh with the Glenfinnan hills behind

Loch Shiel & Ardgour

Ben Nevis

Route ahead

From here it was a case of following the ridge of Druim Fiaclach before descending steeply off the end down to a bealach. Steep pathless descents are not my favourite and it's where my knee is most vulnerable, but with care I was safely down.

Sgurr na Ba Glaise from An t-Slat Bheinn

The ridge continued over An t-Slat Bheinn to the final pull up Sgurr Na Ba Glaise, my first "summit". Over 3 and a half hours and 1000m ascent just to get to the first one :shock: Tough going - but it was worth every ounce of effort.

Rois-Bheinn

An Stac & Skye

The long and winding road – back to Druim Fiaclach

Standard Jaxter

I enjoyed the views for a while before heading off. It was windy and I didn't want to stop too long and get cold. The route from here to Rois-Bheinn was obvious from here and there was a more obvious path here too.

The glen and Meall Damh from Bealach an Fhiona

At the bealach I met the wall which led me all the way to the rather unimpressive summit of Rois-Bheinn. However following the ridge to the western top provided much better views and a more splendid cairn.

Eigg & Rum

The amazing West Coast towards Ardnamurchan

Not quite the summit but a better view

Definitely a better cairn

I enjoyed the views here for a while before returning to the true summit and then retracing my steps down steeply down to the bealach.

Time for a bit of silliness on the way :lol:

Here I followed the wall for a short distance down very steep ground before continuing down towards the bealach. As it turned out I should have followed the wall a bit further as I descended a bit too far. Too busy watching my feet :lol:

Looking back up

But it didn't matter; I cut across some impressive rocky slabs and looked at the ascent up An Stac ahead of me. It looked unrelenting so there was nothing else for it...off i went! I managed to zig zag my way up it, easily bypassing the crags and scrambling over some of the smaller ones, just for funsies :lol:

It didn't actually take as long as I'd thought it would and sooner and easier than I expected I was at the top. And oh the views....

Skye

Rois-Bheinn

Spoiling the view

Eigg & Rum

An unspoiled view down Loch Ailort

It was well past lunchtime so after a few snaps I skirted around some big rocks and found somewhere sheltered to sit in the sun with my sandwiches. The views out to Eigg, Rum & Skye were just breathtaking.

I also spotted a train (well heard it first) on the Glenfinnan/Mallaig line but my zoom couldn't manage to get any closer!

I closed my eyes and lay back on the lovely warm rock for a while, relaxed in the knowledge that I didn't have a long drive home and could chill as long as I liked!

It was still a bit hazy over to Skye but the Cuillin ridge was clearly visible. I'd be there in 2 weeks time but weather as good as this is probably too much to hope for :lol:

Skye again

Figuring I'd probably run out of water or sunscreen if I stayed up any longer, I couldn't put off the descent. It was very steep but the crags were easily avoided. After my rock climbing adventure the other day I actually felt a lot more confident scrambling down some of the crags and although some of the moves weren’t exactly textbook I was having a great time :D

Eventually I was down to the bealach and some more weird slabby rocks which provided a nice frame for the islands.

Dropping down into the glen

From here the gradient eased a little and I dropped down grassy slopes to the ATV track along the Allt a’ Bhuiridh. I gladly refilled my water before an easy walk along the Glen...until....I put my foot into the only bog in Scotland...doh... :roll:

A nice refill spot…tempted to jump in :D

Looking back

Once back on the hydro track it was a few minutes back to the wooded path which led me back to the salmon farm. As I came out I spotted what I thought was a Rhododendron bush...very pretty but a bit random...

Then I turned around and it turned out there were hundreds of them...how I missed this on the way up I don't know :lol:

I cut across the field and was back at the car...pretty tired but absolutely exhilarated! I met a guy there who asked me if I'd seen the other two...I hadn't seen a soul all day :lol:

From the car down Loch Ailort

I had thought about a high camp tonight but didn't really fancy another walk that evening, or carrying a heavy pack the next day in this heat :shock: The problem was being back in time for work... what to do... :crazy: Mr Mystery on the other end of a phone said "follow your gut." So I took the decision to cancel my students (being self-employed has its advantages :lol: )

Hopping in the car I drove down the road a short way to find a wonderful camp spot.

After pitching the tent I did some sunbathing (naebody around to judge me!) before cooking up some dinner and hot chocolate and settling down to watch the sunset.

Just as I was heading for bed the wind dropped and I hate to say it but there were a few midges around... and so it begins :shock:

So the sun had set on a place that had already become a firm favourite. Moidart is absolutely magical and one of my best ever days on the hills :D It was time to get my head down and see what the morning would bring...

Link to part 2

Moidart.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Link to part 2
Last edited by Jaxter on Fri May 12, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Just Another Moidart Monday

Postby apollo0815 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Wonderful report, I have seen that train of yours leaving Mallaig, while waiting for the ferry there...
Now I am in Assynt and have eaten pies on Tuesday, and drank hot chocolate a bit further north, today :-P

Your knee won't get better, if you are lifting all those rocks !
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 12, 2017 10:05 am

Just wonderful, and what an end to the day.

Moidart is special, though I've only ever done the coast not the hills.

Your view from the top;

The opposite view;

Your camp spot looks sublime.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby denfinella » Fri May 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Ha - I remember this one well!

You got a lovely clear day for it though, and definitely a good choice for when the ground's dry. That ascent onto the ridge at the start's a killer isn't it!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Jaxter » Sat May 13, 2017 12:17 pm

apollo0815 wrote:Wonderful report, I have seen that train of yours leaving Mallaig, while waiting for the ferry there...
Now I am in Assynt and have eaten pies on Tuesday, and drank hot chocolate a bit further north, today :-P

Your knee won't get better, if you are lifting all those rocks !

I am very envious as I sit in rainy Glasgow. What's your favourite pie? I've still got one in my freezer, saving it for a special occasion :D :D

Mal Grey wrote:Just wonderful, and what an end to the day.

Moidart is special, though I've only ever done the coast not the hills.

Your view from the top;

The opposite view;

Your camp spot looks sublime.

Fantastic! I'd love to get into kayaking but it's a bit impractical as I drive a Polo :lol: :lol: It was a very special day though :D

denfinella wrote:Ha - I remember this one well!

You got a lovely clear day for it though, and definitely a good choice for when the ground's dry. That ascent onto the ridge at the start's a killer isn't it!

Yeah it actually looked worse than it was I thought, I was in the shade of the hill a lot of the time and stopping was no hardship with those views!! Can imagine it could be a total bogfest in wetter conditions :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Andymac75 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:51 pm

What a great day to be on a hill.
Beautiful photos.

And well done for lifting that mountain sized slab of Rock :clap:
Andymac75

Postby apollo0815 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Jaxter wrote:I am very envious as I sit in rainy Glasgow. What's your favourite pie? I've still got one in my freezer, saving it for a special occasion :D :D

Can't tell, haven't tried them all. So far I'd say savoury mince.
But I could bathe in cocoa mountains hot chocolate.
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Collaciotach » Mon May 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Aye another secret best not shared ;)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Jaxter » Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Andymac75 wrote:What a great day to be on a hill.
Beautiful photos.

And well done for lifting that mountain sized slab of Rock :clap:

Thankyou - it was quite heavy :lol: :lol:

apollo0815 wrote:
Jaxter wrote:I am very envious as I sit in rainy Glasgow. What's your favourite pie? I've still got one in my freezer, saving it for a special occasion :D :D

Can't tell, haven't tried them all. So far I'd say savoury mince.
But I could bathe in cocoa mountains hot chocolate.

Can recommend the chorizo and manchego :thumbup:
With you on the chocolate. Another pilgrimage there this summer :D :D

Collaciotach wrote:Aye another secret best not shared ;)

Shh let's not tell anyone :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed May 17, 2017 8:44 pm

A M A Z I N G
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Sat May 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Have to agree, this is one of my favourite bits of the country (along with all of the other bits that are my favourite :wink: ). Ardgour and Moidart is where I'd went up some of my earliest Corbetts with my dad (I think the first time we attempted this round was 1997, although we didn't manage An Stac). At the time I used to moan about the amount of false summits and ask why we weren't on a nice narrow ridge somewhere. Now it's the other way round if we're in this area - he's the one moaning about false summits and no paths :lol: .

Nice camping spot. Wish the weather had been like this when I cycled through on the way to Kinlochleven :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Tue May 23, 2017 12:43 am

gammy leg walker wrote:A M A Z I N G

I know right :D :D :D

malky_c wrote:Have to agree, this is one of my favourite bits of the country (along with all of the other bits that are my favourite :wink: ). Ardgour and Moidart is where I'd went up some of my earliest Corbetts with my dad (I think the first time we attempted this round was 1997, although we didn't manage An Stac). At the time I used to moan about the amount of false summits and ask why we weren't on a nice narrow ridge somewhere. Now it's the other way round if we're in this area - he's the one moaning about false summits and no paths :lol: .

Nice camping spot. Wish the weather had been like this when I cycled through on the way to Kinlochleven :?

It's a firm favourite for me already for sure. Jus aaeesome. There are a lot of amazing places in Scotland but somehow this area has seduced me :D nice to have good memories of it as well, and always an excuse to return! :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland