walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros Fourteen to Sixteen

Munros Fourteen to Sixteen

Postby Chris Henshall » Mon May 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Route description: Cairn Toul - Braeriach traverse

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 17/07/1976

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday, 17th. July, 1976
I have always logged my Munros in the SMC's first metric edition of the tables (published in 1974) so, when I came to write up this trip, it was pleasing to discover that I'd actually climbed four hills instead of the three that I thought. The promotion of Sgor an Lochain Uaine to full Munro status in 1997 almost makes up for the others which have been demoted and unclimbed tops elsewhere which have been promoted!
At any rate, this was the sixth day out from Blair Athol for a party of about fifteen or so of us and, after camping around the bothy at Corrour on the Friday night, it provided a good day's walking before we headed north through the Lairig Ghru to Loch Morlich on the Sunday.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

All my diary records was that the walking was rough as far as Cairn Toul but then evened out over gravelly flats of weathered granite on the way to a lunch stop at the Wells of Dee and that the final run down the east ridge of Braeriach "was a joy" - but I can still remember most of the day. We didn't meet anyone else out on the hill except for a couple on Braeriach and cooling off in the Allt na Lairig Ghru as we waited for the rest of the party to come down off Braeriach is something of a treasured memory!
Cairngorms 1 - John Hickey on the Devil's Point.jpg
John Hickey on the Devil's Point
Cairngorms 2 - Chris Tanner at the Wells of Dee.jpg
Chris Tanner at the Wells of Dee
Cairngorms 3 - Me on Breriach.jpg
Me on Braeriach
Once we'd resupplied in Loch Morlich, we were going to head east into even remoter country.
Next report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69294&p=339320#p339320.
Last edited by Chris Henshall on Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Munros Fourteen to Sixteen

Postby Coop » Tue May 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Always good to read your older reports. Have you kept a diary from back then
Good to see the photos as well.
No goretex or wicking on show back then :)
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Munros Fourteen to Sixteen

Postby Chris Henshall » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:30 pm

Always good to read your older reports. Have you kept a diary from back then
Good to see the photos as well.
No goretex or wicking on show back then :)

Thanks Coop; I should have replied a bit earlier, I think!
Glad that you enjoyed reading these ancient memories; you're right and I have always kept some sort of diary of my hill trips although, these days, the diary is the on-line posts on WalkHighlands!
Yes, no gortex or wicking base layers, etc. but wool seemed to do a decent job and I seem to remember that I even had tweed breeches; maybe they'll make a comeback?!
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland