walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Problems on Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin and Easain

Problems on Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin and Easain

Postby yellowone » Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 18/05/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had good weather so I am not complaining. It was an enjoyable day but I just want to mention:
1. It's not easy to find the ridge as there are so many folds in the landscape. I was looking for a stone pillar though catching sight of the wrong one (a trig point?) had me scratching my head. However , lots of walks seem to start this way.
2. On the way up Meall Cian Dearg, the path was badly eroded just above a gulley and it looked dangerous. I scrambled/climbed up away from it but did not feel comfortable doing so. :( On the return, I thought I would avoid this spot but still found myself looking down towards it on an unstable path. Getting down/away was more difficult than getting up :crazy: :( so I felt relieved to have eventually reached what felt like safety. I know that for many, this would hardly be a problem, but for others I would say that care is certainly needed.
3. The return route. I thought about going down to the west from the bealach between the two Munros and to look for the path that maintains height. I was not sure if I would find the path so I returned the way I came up, with the problem mentioned above. After passing Meall Cian Dearg, I came off the hill towards Loch Treig. This worked out fine and I reached the works road further south than I had left it in the morning, but it probably was not the quickest way back to the car park.
yellowone
Munro compleatist

Munros:161   Corbetts:16

Re: Problems on Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin and Easain

Postby jmarkb » Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Point 2: yes it is quite steep and awkward. In winter I have skirted it on the west side, but that still crosses some quite steep ground.

Points 1&3: you seem to be lacking some confidence in your navigation: it would probably be good to do something about that if you are going solo in the hills, e.g. learn from a more experienced companion, get a book, go on a course.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Coop » Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 pm

You didn't find a cheap walking pole on the wee nose bit did you. :)
I got the ice axe out, didn't strap my walking pole securely enough- and the rest is history.

Ps I found that dodgy going down in the snow
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby katyhills » Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 pm

I did these last year on a lovely day in June. I enjoy a bit of scrambling, but I can understand if you feel a bit wary. Perhaps, as jmarkb says, it would be worth doing a course to help you with navigataion, but it also might be worth seeking out a few lower or more straightforward hills that have a few steeper sections, which would give you a bit of extra scrambling experience and build up your confidence. I'm sure you'd get some recommendations of hills near you that you could experiment on.

I was fortunate to be on those hills the day Jasmin Paris did her record breaking Ramsay Round, and spent a good half hour on the plateau chatting to one of her checkpoint chaps. I felt extremely inadequate watching her disappear into the distance! :lol:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland