walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moelwyns

Moelwyns

Postby andy63 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Moelwyn Bach, Moelwyn Mawr

Date walked: 13/04/2017

Time taken: 4

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 825m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The attachment our_route.gpx is no longer available

NB: approximate route.

I started this walk from Croesor- quite a long drive, and on the road up from Tan-y-Bwlch I had to keep getting out of the car to open and close gates.
From the village car park a minor road and then a path leads up the valley towards the ruins of Croesor Quarry.I managed to take wrong turn somewhere and had to make a steep ascent up the grassy hillside to get back on the right track.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_0891.JPG
Cnicht

IMG_0893.JPG

From the quarry it's a short climb onto the north ridge of Moelwyn Mawr. The top of this ridge used to be listed as a Nuttall until recently,when someone did a survey and found that it doesn't qualify.

IMG_0894.JPG
Croesor Quarry

IMG_0896.JPG
North ridge ascent

IMG_0897.JPG
Moelwyn Mawr North Ridge Top (650m)

From here it's a drop of 14.8 metres down to the col, and then an easy climb up to the highest point of the walk on Moelwyn Mawr.

IMG_0898.JPG
Moelwyn Mawr

IMG_0900.JPG
Moelwyn Mawr summit (770m)

The weather was overcast but only the highest summits were under the clouds.

IMG_0902.JPG
Clouds over Snowdon

The descent from Moelwyn Mawr is quite steep, but there's a good rocky path that winds its way down onto the little ridge of Craigysgafn.

IMG_0904.JPG
Descent

IMG_0905.JPG
Craigysgafn

IMG_0907.JPG
View from the Nuttall summit of Craigysgafn (689m)

There's another steep descent, with a bit of easy scrambling, down to Bwlch Stwlan and a steep but well defined path up to Moelwyn Bach.

IMG_0909.JPG
Looking back to Craigysgafn

IMG_0908.JPG
Moelwyn Bach

IMG_0911.JPG
Moelwyn Bach summit (710m)

There's an easy descent down a long grassy ridge to the west, although it gets boggy towards the bottom, and the path through the woods is badly eroded.A short walk along the tarmac road leads back to Croesor, where there's a nice little cafe.

IMG_0912.JPG
Descent ridge

IMG_0914.JPG
Looking back at the Moelwyns and Craigysgafn
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Moelwyns

Postby Riverman » Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 am

Good report and nice photos. Cnicht looks majestic. The Moelwyns are a big patch of red on my Hewitt map. Looking forward to climbing them.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 pm

For sure, these are 2 very fine hills - I was well surprised and impressed when I did them in March.

I don't suppose you came across a waterproof map of the area around the summit of M Bach? I managed to leave mine there, and by the time I realised, I was too short of time to go back and recover it :-(.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Sun May 21, 2017 11:19 am

Nice report and photos despite the cloudy weather :clap: Snowdon looks more like Table Top mountain with its tops buried in cloud :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland