walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunny Skye and Seduced by a Corbett (or two)

Sunny Skye and Seduced by a Corbett (or two)

Postby Jaxter » Wed May 24, 2017 12:19 am

Route description: Garbh Bheinn and Belig

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh-bheinn (Skye), Glamaig

Fionas included on this walk: Belig

Date walked: 19/05/2017

Time taken: 8.4 hours

Distance: 17.38 km

Ascent: 1931m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Inn Pinn on Sunday had been a fixture for a while. However, with hours at work changing over it was more recently that I was able to sneak a free Friday off. It had been a long week and as usual there was more stuff to organise than I had time for. Late Thursday night I finally had things ready, set an alarm for 5 and somehow it still took me over an hour to leave :roll:

Possibly due to my later than planned start I managed to get stuck behind every conceivable obstacle from lorries and caravans to a traffic jam caused by ducks in the road and even a temperamental set of traffic lights at Kyle of Lochalsh :shock: I did see an old looking plane fly very low down Loch Duich and along Glen Shiel which certainly took me by surprise :shock:

But after a couple of stops to determine the best shot...

I was over the sea to Skye, and the sun was shining!

Friday was looking to be the best day of the weekend, so I had thought to have a wee solo exploration of an "easier" summit on the Cuillin ridge as a warm up for the main event. I stopped in Broadford for supplies before heading towards Sligachan where I planned to walk from.

However...I stopped for this photo, and looking at the map to work out what it was I was totally seduced by it.

Boots were donned, and I was off, walking past all the tourists in flip flops stopping for photos of the waterfall.

Friday 19th May
Garbh Bheinn & Belig
5 hours 20 mins
10.7km
1177m ascent

Garbh Bheinn Belig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Initially there was something of a path which I was able to follow. It was quite boggy and had several different variants of it. I worked my way to the crest of the ridge to discover a much better path which I was able to follow up to the top of Druim Eadar Da Choire.

Looking back down Loch Ainort

Ahead to Garbh Bheinn

The sun was shining and it was hot work. In places the wind made itself known but it was a fairly welcome breeze so long as I held onto my hat.

A glimpse of the biggies

Camasunary

The Deargs & Glamaig

The final pull up to Garbh Bheinn looked fairly tough; rocky, scrambly and steep. It looked awesome.

Garbh Bheinn

There was nothing difficult and obstacles were easily avoidable but I found myself scrambling over things just for fun. With a wee introductory rock climbing and the Cobbler recently I feel like my scrambling confidence has grown. Which was probably a good thing before Sunday :lol:

Once up the steep section it was a narrow walk (or scramble if desired) to the summit. Just as I approached I met a guy on his way down who didn't seem very impressed with his ascent route (which was about to become my descent :lol: )

At the summit I was able to stop and properly take in the views. And what a view it was - the Cuillin ridge was clear and I could see for miles in every direction.

Rum

Bla Bheinn

Mighty Cuillin Ridge

My mind was completely blown. I sat down and had a sandwich and enjoyed soaking up the views and the sun. It was pretty warm as Bla Bheinn seemed to be a pretty decent wind shelter :lol:

Marsco & the Red Cuillin

Loch Ainort & Raasay

Belig & Beinn na Caillich horseshoe

Kyle of Lochalsh & the bridge

Towards Applecross

Marsco & Red Cuillin

The Inn Pinn :shock:

Rum

I must have sat there for a good half hour when suddenly a dog appeared, taking me by surprise, followed by its two people. I had to readjust my lounging so they could actually get to the summit :lol: but they headed off quickly and I figured I ought to get moving shortly after that.

The initial descent is steep and scrambly and there are a few big drops. I enjoyed myself climbing over the worst bits (or should that be the best bits?) but although there were a few slightly exposed moments there was nothing difficult. Just as I slipped and slid my way down a bit of scree coming to a stop against a big rock I looked up and saw what I'm convinced was a golden eagle. I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch it flying underneath me but managed to snap it as it flew higher, circling off towards Bla Bheinn.

I overtook the couple with a dog and made my way down the ridge. After the initial scramble it became easier and soon turned into scree. At least there was something of a path, zig zagging it's way down. Towards the bottom of the scree I saw a couple of a people making their way up a bit further over; I gave them a wave and as they seemed friendly I shouted that I was on a path. They were pleased at this news and made their way over so we had a chat for a while before going our separate ways.

Ahead, Belig looked quite big and steep (although not as bad as what I'd just come down :lol: ) Off I went; there was plenty of slippery scree but some nice big rocks to hold onto and even a bit of optional scrambling. Towards the top I met with the dry stone dyke and managed to dislodge a large rock which collided with my ankle. Fortunately it was a slow collision resulting in nothing worse than a few choice words and bruise. But a timely reminder to be careful :crazy:

At the top the views were of course wonderful and I sat down to enjoy them. Again the summit was relatively sheltered and I was able to sit for a while before starting to get chilly.

Glamaig

Red Cuillin

The massif

Loch Ainort

As I looked back to the imposing Garbh Bheinn I realised it was my 3rd Garbh Bheinn in a month :lol: Just as I was leaving the dog arrived; I gave the couple a wee wave as I could see them approaching and left them to enjoy the summit.

From here I continued down the ridge on a feint path before cutting off left down steep scree. This wasn't my favourite part of the walk but at least lost height quickly :lol:

Once on more stable ground I got a case of Straight Line Syndrome and headed towards the car, managing to cross a river without incident and made it almost all the way to the road when I went nearly knee deep in a bog :lol: Thankful for gaiters I washed myself off in a stream before the short walk along the road back to the car.

Looking back – chuffed!

Glamaig
3 hours 17 mins
6.68km
754m ascent

Glamaig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had been a wonderful afternoon and I was keen to find a good spot to camp and enjoy the evening. I may have a slightly different idea of "enjoy" to other people as I suddenly had a thought...initially I was looking at a wee hill Meall a’ Mhaoil to have a wander up and pitch on, but then I got delusions of grandeur. So after a quick call to the weatherman, trying to attach all my camping gear to a much too small rucksack and a conversation with my two pals from earlier who saw me and stopped to say hi I was heading for Glamaig. Now Glamaig and I had some unfinished business from January so it seemed like as good a time as any to make amends :lol:

I followed the burn on what was sometimes a vague path and sometimes just my nose up to the bealach. It was tough, I was tired and I was carrying a lot of extra weight. But eventually I made it. What followed was worse; steep scree. I was slipping and sliding all over the place and it felt never ending.

Had to stop for a photo… :lol:

But eventually it was over and I was there. The views were awesome. I got the tent up quickly and set about taking some photos.

Down the ridge of Glamaig

Towards Bracadale

Sun and cloud

Towards the Storr

Mist and tent

It was then time to get dinner on and before long I was sitting on Glamaig’s cairn eating beans and burgers out of a packet with my fingers and stirring hot chocolate with a tent peg. Not because I'm crazy but because I'd forgotten my spoon :lol:

There was enough of a breeze to make it pretty chilly. The hot food and drink helped but there was plenty of jumping about before I retreated to my tent to enjoy the views from there.

Rassay

Storr

Fading light on the ridge

Outer Hebrides

As I snuggled into my warm cosy cocoon the wind picked up and there were smatterings of rain, but I'd had a wonderful evening and even if the weather apocalypse arrived before I got down it was still totally worth it!

I awoke to the patter of raindrops although when poked my head out I was surprised to find that the visibility was still relatively intact and despite the rain I was sitting above some low level cloud.

I was in no hurry to get up and move so it was time for some tea and read a book. I'd forgotten my breakfast but fortunately had enough in the way of snacks (yes I know carrying up breakfast was probably more important than the book :lol: ) The idea of a pub lunch in Portree was also fairly tempting....

Eventually I felt the rain ease and managed to get everything packed up and attached to my rucksack without getting soaked. The cloud had come in further now and visibility was starting to disappear. I slipped and slid my way down scree and only ended up on my backside once and only one where I went properly flying :lol: After a lot of care I made it back to the bealach and was glad to be back on solid ground!

From here I picked my way back downwards following the burn eventually reaching flatter ground and meeting some coos. Fortunately they seemed content to ignore me but I waited until I was a safe distance away before stopping!

Nearly back

Looking back up…

Relieved to be back at the car in one piece I was besieged first by rain and then by midges...happy days :lol:
Last edited by Jaxter on Mon May 29, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Sunny Skye and Seduced by a Corbett (or two)

Postby PerthAlly » Wed May 24, 2017 8:38 am

Aye Jaxter , lovely photos :clap:

Not even been on Skye since autumn 2003. It's time.......

I'll try Bla Bheinn as a starter :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed May 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Superb photos, I especially like the sunset ones on the top of Glamaig - what a spot for a camp!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Graeme D » Wed May 24, 2017 12:46 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Nuff said!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Mal Grey » Wed May 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Fantastic hills, with views of even more fantastic hills!

Looking forward to seeing "the pose" on top of the In Pin... :shock: :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby soapy27 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:49 pm

Outstanding :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed May 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Another great report and stunning photos. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby litljortindan » Wed May 24, 2017 9:57 pm

I really like the pic with the shower over Bla Bheinn and the early morning patchy low cloud.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Thu May 25, 2017 10:26 am

PerthAlly wrote:Aye Jaxter , lovely photos :clap:

Not even been on Skye since autumn 2003. It's time.......

I'll try Bla Bheinn as a starter :lol:

Cheers - it's just such an amazing place. Especially on a day like that :wink:
Bla Bheinn is AWESOME but not difficult :D

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Superb photos, I especially like the sunset ones on the top of Glamaig - what a spot for a camp!

Thanks - I cannae take credit for the idea but feel I offset that by the effort required to get there :lol:

Graeme D wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Nuff said!

Cheers :D :D 8)

Mal Grey wrote:Fantastic hills, with views of even more fantastic hills!

Looking forward to seeing "the pose" on top of the In Pin... :shock: :lol:

Challenge accepted :wink:

soapy27 wrote:Outstanding :clap:

Cheers man, and sorry for stealing your idea :roll: :lol:

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Another great report and stunning photos. :clap: :clap: :clap:

litljortindan wrote:I really like the pic with the shower over Bla Bheinn and the early morning patchy low cloud.

Thanks - aye I was expecting to wake up inside a cloud but instead was above them! Magical :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby 2manyYorkies » Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 am

Cracking report jaxter, very inspiring. Hope it looks as god next week .... :shock: :crazy:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Excellent! I'll be on Skye next week and had been thinking of doing these. Don't think I'll take a camping pack up Glamaig though - even saving weight by omitting the spoon!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Andymac75 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 pm

Another Great Jaxter adventure :)

Glamaig is my next hill.

I thought it was maybe time to broaden my horizons :shock: :lol:

It's an impressive hill .looks like it will hurt going up those slopes.

Well done The Jaxter
Andymac75

Postby Jaxter » Sat May 27, 2017 6:57 pm

2manyYorkies wrote:Cracking report jaxter, very inspiring. Hope it looks as god next week .... :shock: :crazy:

Cheers J-Dawg - hope you get lucky :D 8)

Phil the Hill wrote:Excellent! I'll be on Skye next week and had been thinking of doing these. Don't think I'll take a camping pack up Glamaig though - even saving weight by omitting the spoon!

:lol: :lol: Yeah the spoon dinnae seem to make much difference :lol: Think that hill would be hard even without the pack tbh :shock:

Andymac75 wrote:Another Great Jaxter adventure :)

Glamaig is my next hill.

I thought it was maybe time to broaden my horizons :shock: :lol:

It's an impressive hill .looks like it will hurt going up those slopes.

Well done The Jaxter

Cheers :D :D You're trying out another island then? Dinnae get carried away :lol: :lol:
It's a mental hill to get up but a special viewpoint for sure :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Andymac75 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Aye another island :)

I've only heard good things about Glamaig .from hill runners and walkers alike.

And the fish and chips in Seamus' bar at the Sligachan looks worth the trip alone.

:thumbup:
Andymac75

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Andymac75 wrote:Aye another island :)

I've only heard good things about Glamaig .from hill runners and walkers alike.

And the fish and chips in Seamus' bar at the Sligachan looks worth the trip alone.

:thumbup:

Well it's a good one :D
Great hill so long as you like steep scree :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland