walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tinto & 'Lambing'ton Hill

Tinto & 'Lambing'ton Hill

Postby iangpark » Thu May 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Lamington Hill

Date walked: 22/05/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 19 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a day off work so thought I'd bag the lonesome but majestic Donald Tinto off. Now getting to this area is quite a challenge if you are not the owner of a car - especially if you're coming up from Dumfries! Stagecoach's 101/102 service stops at Lamington with only just over a tenner return (I was also very lucky that someone wanted on half way between Wiston and Lamington, just as I wanted off!)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

[ My full gallery from today is at: http://ianparkphotography.blogspot.co.u ... -2017.html ]

It was drizzly-light rain walking into Wiston but cleared up as I began my ascent, with Tinto looming overhead.

My first ever view of Tinto, just after getting off the bus:
1.jpg

Wiston is a lovely place and the woodland inside Wiston Lodge was beautiful, with late bluebells still in deep purple swathes. I was following the WH route - got a little confused after the water works building but just jumped the fence and returned back to the edge of the field.

Sign to Tinto:
2.jpg

As I approached the small Scots Pine plantation, a field of cows with calves had put themselves right in front of where I needed to go - there was one particular cow that was clearly separated so I backed off a bit and coaxed her back to the herd so I could tiptoe my way around. They were fine after I'd got them all back together.

Smart and Silly (best photo of the day?):
3.jpg

Finally I began the ascent with Pap Craig looming above:
4.jpg

Blaeberry carpets were prominent throughout the day:
5.jpg

The myriad of faint paths here meant that I just took whichever one seemed to be in front of me - the OS track was obvious from below but it seemed to vanish as I actually got up there. I ended up just a bit to the right of Pap Craig so paid it's top a visit.

Summit of Pap Craig from above:
6.jpg

This route really was surprisingly steep - my legs are still hurting today (3 days later), but the last 200m or so is much easier, with the red sandstone starting to appear.

Approaching summit:
7.jpg

Now I had seen nobody else on my way up yet just as I peeked over to see the summit cairn, I was greeted by at least 100 grumpy schoolchildren who really couldn't have given a toss! I generally climb hills to get a break for myself, but now here I am at 711m looking like the weirdo that chose out of my own volition to come and climb a hill!

Spoiled but not ruined:
9.jpg

Tinto Trig:
8.jpg

I took a few pictures, visited the trig and was off. I had hoped to relax for a bit at the top as I hadn't eaten or drank anything yet but that was cut short. I suppose when WH describe Tinto as 'extremely popular', they mean it.

Over to the source of the Clyde and the Lowther Range (my first, and most recent Donalds):
10.jpg

I galloped my way back downhill but forgot about following the paths so went on a small diversion that took me through some deep heather back to the path:

Stonechat courtship?:
11.jpg

I had a big decision to make now - I was getting the bus at Lamington in 3 hours but I'll be there in about an hour so do I have time for one of the 2 hills nearby (Dungavel Hill or Lamington Hill)? Dungavel looked a bit intense so I opted for Lamington. I quickly searched through WH for a good route up. To my luck I found a glorious route suggested by Inca who began at the Holy Trinity Chapel (a minute walk from the bus stop!) I began my very fast paced walk over to Lamington, with a few bursts of jogging now and then. I had to leave the photos for the time being as I was in quite a hurry, although I did get one over the Clyde. The weather was much better than the gloominess the day had started with.

Over the Clyde:
12.jpg

The Holy Trinity Chapel was a beautifully Albionic place. I dumped my bag behind a tree, taking only my phone and began my ascent. Inca said it took them 40 mins to get to the top, although I was determined to do it faster. My account of the walk up is essentially identical to theirs (only my day was much sunnier)!

I continued up through the woodlands and eventually reached the clearing:
13.jpg

Lamington Hill doesn't even feel close to 492m. I found someone's walking stick on the way up so used it to get to the top in only half an hour!

ATV tracks to the summit trig:
14.jpg

The views here were in fact better than Tinto's as the weather had cleared up and I could see where I'd been all day. I also had a great view into the Culter Fells, particularly Hudderstone.

I also got the best view of Tinto I'd had all day:
15.jpg

I left the stick at the top and made my way back down, going through the left hand side of the dry stone dyke so I could see into the woodland better- Blaeberry was out in force in a way I'd never seen before; a foot-high lime green blanket taking up every spare inch of the Larch forest. Back down through the woodland I went, taking a few pictures of more bluebells just before the timber stacks. I had been up and down in only 50 minutes so had a spare half hour to sit by the chapel to drink from my flask which I hadn't touched all day, while the fragmenting sunlight bared down onto the vibrant cemetery flowers.

A wonderful day that was at first somewhat spoiled but very quickly made up for.
Last edited by iangpark on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: Tinto & 'Lambing'ton Hill

Postby PeteR » Thu May 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Two very enjoyable hills.......and you had nice weather for them. Nice one :clap:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby iangpark » Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 am

PeteR wrote:Two very enjoyable hills.......and you had nice weather for them. Nice one :clap:

Thanks Pete, glad to see you've been out and about as well - TalkHighlands seems to be just you now!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri May 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Love the shot of the summit of Tinto - it was even busier when I was up there on a sunny Saturday, still a nice little leg stretcher.
Like Pete I also enjoyed Lamington and most of the Borders hills :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby inca » Sat May 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Nicely put together report on these two. Been up Tinto and Lamington a few times. Can't recall once when I've had Tinto summit to myself. And I can't recall once when I haven't on Lamington.

That's a heck of a bus journey from Dumfries. Glad it paid off for you :clap:
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby iangpark » Tue May 30, 2017 9:25 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Love the shot of the summit of Tinto - it was even busier when I was up there on a sunny Saturday, still a nice little leg stretcher.
Like Pete I also enjoyed Lamington and most of the Borders hills :wink:

I should have stood at the trig and done a panorama! Think that picture shows just over half of them
:lol: Got plans on Thursday for the Carsphairn Hills so I can finally start bagging some more Donalds - Tinto was my first Donald after 9 months (uni. really doesn't give you much time!)

inca wrote:Nicely put together report on these two. Been up Tinto and Lamington a few times. Can't recall once when I've had Tinto summit to myself. And I can't recall once when I haven't on Lamington.

That's a heck of a bus journey from Dumfries. Glad it paid off for you :clap:

Lamington seems to be quite an underrated hill; not been up such a pleasant marilyn in a while. I did see somebody with their dog at the very bottom of the glen to the south, beside 'Key Cleuch' and a man in his workshop beside the church but was person-less except that! Glad to have done your report justice :)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland